Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2006, 02:18 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
1960 26' Overlander
Mount Vernon , Washington
The one I wish I had…

Even though I have an AS there is one I wish I had. I am sure that some of you have similar dreams. This may be an interesting thread.

Here is my story…
Currently I have a ‘75 ’31 Sovereign. I acquired it this summer from my father. He felt that he was getting too far along in years to use it. So here I am with the trailer. This was the second AS that he owned. He got this one in the early to mid ‘90s. Before that he had a 1960 27 or 28 footer. I think an overlander. It was my grandfathers and my father acquired it after my grandfather passed away. Both my grandfather and father were members of WBCCI. My grandfather and grandmother went on many rallies and caravans in the late ‘60s and into the ‘70s. Several of us grandchildren were taken along. I was not able to go as I was too young at the time. By the time I was old enough the trailering had stopped do to health issues.

After my father bought the ‘75 I had the option of having the ’60. At the time I passed on it for many reasons. It then went to my sister in Florence, Or. There it sat for many years. A tree had fallen on it and one of the domes was broken as well as a window. The trailer sat for a couple of years with the insides open to the weather do to no attempt to do any patching. At some point in the late ‘90s it was sold to someone in Roseburg, Or. It may still have the red numbers of 4485 on it. That number was my grandfathers and then went to my father. I know that it has since been reissued so I can’t us it. But the trailer may still have these numbers on it.

My dream… Find this overlander and do a complete restore on it. Shell off and everything. This would make up for all past regrets with letting this trailer go…

Do you have a story to tell... confession time
-Garth
garthbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 02:47 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Last year I hunted down my first mustang, 12 years after I had sold it. Amazing things can happen thanks to the internet. I don't know if a trailer that had a tree fall on it would still be out there, but maybe it can still be found.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 02:51 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
1960 26' Overlander
Mount Vernon , Washington
it was not a whole tree, just some branches. the damage was limited to the dome and window at the time. but after sitting with the rain comming in the floor was rotten...
garthbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 02:59 PM   #4
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by garthbf
but after sitting with the rain comming in the floor was rotten...
But we hear all the time about Airstreams that are rescued and revived after going through such treatment. Don't lose hope.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
What I want is the mid-bath, 28 or 30 foot 1979 Argosy with the rear bedroom. Of course I would want it in as good a condition as I found my 24ft Argosy. I've seen a couple for sale; however, I could never part with the "Twink" so what would I do with two Argosys? I had a 67 Caravel several years ago but I wouldn't want it back. It was a great trailer but the frame broke when a road construction crew failed to put the barrier up in front of a 2ft deep patch they had removed from the interstate. Not a pretty sight when you hit something like that at 60MPH. Nothing else was damaged badly except we could never get the frame to hold a weld or patch. It was still usable, but it bothered me to pull it long distances.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I wish I had the Argosy 20 we found tucked behind a barn while on vacation in Montana. My heart said to pay the $3500 asking price and figure out a way to get it home along with Gypsy, our Airstream, that we were camping in. My head added up all the estimated fix ups from axles to decor and made us offer $1500 which was promptly turned down. I know Max sighed a BIG sigh of relief, but I've mourned for "him-the Argosy" ever since ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Full-Timing

Every so often I'd really like to have a bathtub to soak in. I look at those vintage Airstreams and Argosys with the rear bath and think, ah... I can just feel the cuticles on my tootsies getting soft...

But facing reality those are pretty small tubs, so I smile and shower.

Paula
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:24 PM   #8
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
But facing reality those are pretty small tubs, so I smile and shower.

Paula
I bathe in mine whenever we're out with it. It's small, but does work quite well. I'm 5'10, about 200lbs....works for me. Plus, we can shower in it as well.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
What'd like to have . . .

#1: I'd love to have a mid-50's unit. I'm not too particular, 22' to 26' seems optimal, but is by no means a requirement. 13 panel endcaps would be cool, by 7 would be OK. Inside should be original, not customized. This is the vintage project trailer I am currently looking for.

#2: Our first Airstream was Lorrie's parents first one, a 1966 Overlander. We had it for a year but then sold it because it needed too much work. I've since learned that the new owner is in the process of doing a body off restoration. I'm sure it will be fantastic when it's done. If it ever goes back up for sale, we hope to have a shot at it.

#3: A yard with covered storage for both my dream vintage Airstream and also our current '85 Sovereign.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Growing up we had a '69 Trade Wind. I heard it was sitting in a church parking lot on Long Island, and during our search for our first, put feelers out there, but no luck. It had a great floor plan, as there were two different ones for the 25'. You could seat 9 people at the table, the trailer was very open, no privacy except the bathroom.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 05:57 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen
Growing up we had a '69 Trade Wind. I heard it was sitting in a church parking lot on Long Island, and during our search for our first, put feelers out there, but no luck. It had a great floor plan, as there were two different ones for the 25'. You could seat 9 people at the table, the trailer was very open, no privacy except the bathroom.
That sounds like a Caravanner , same size as a Trade Wind but no bedroom . They were made in the 50's and then again in the 70's , perhaps as early as '69 with the body change . Do you happen to have any pictures?
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 07:58 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
I'd like to have a 48 to go with my wife's 1948 Cadillac. I started working on her caddy 25 years ago and have never finished it. A 48 Airstream would modivate me to finish the Caddy. Then our trailer and car would be just like us. A perfect couple. In 1948 I was 8 a real dreamer then and still at it.
Don
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:42 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi
I'd like to have a 48 to go with my wife's 1948 Cadillac. I started working on her caddy 25 years ago and have never finished it. A 48 Airstream would modivate me to finish the Caddy. Then our trailer and car would be just like us. A perfect couple. In 1948 I was 8 a real dreamer then and still at it.
Don
Don, that is good if it works for you. I have tried that with my wife and it has never worked. Dear I just need (fill in what ever you want ) to give me the push to finish the other 6 projects I have not completed and we will look so good sailing, riding, whatever as a couple. I now just buy what I want and hide it.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:51 AM   #14
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
One they never made...a 30' SE Bunk. We waited more than a year for Airstream to add that to the line-up, but they canceled the model altogether instead. We use it with the windows open a lot and the Hehr windows really suck. Also, with two pre-teen boys and a cocker spaniel, the lack of white walls would have been nice and low maintenance.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:03 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticki2
That sounds like a Caravanner , same size as a Trade Wind but no bedroom . They were made in the 50's and then again in the 70's , perhaps as early as '69 with the body change . Do you happen to have any pictures?
The exterior shot is my Avatar. I liked the way the table came out from under the front window down the center of the trailer. I have seen very few of these, but I know they made it in 1970 because I have a copy of the '70 Airstream Story. You could sit 4 on each twin bed and one on a stool/chair at the end of the table. How many new A/S's can you sit 9 at the table for a big taco chow fest. That's how I remember it.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:42 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Tampa , Florida
'48-'49 Whirlwind.
Heard of two in existence, 'nough said.
at_wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:47 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Charlestown , Rhode Island
peegreen--

We just bought our first AS--a '69 Tradewind!

We just towed it back from West Virginia to Rhode Island last weekend, and are in the process of cleaning and checking systems.

If someone can tell me how to post pictures here I will post photos of the interior. It does look like you can fit a bunch of people at the front dinette, --although I remain suspicious that the italian-restaurant red vinyl on the seat covers is not original...
JenandGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:10 PM   #18
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenandGC
peegreen--

We just towed it back from West Virginia to Rhode Island last weekend, and are in the process of cleaning and checking systems.

If someone can tell me how to post pictures here I will post photos of the interior. It does look like you can fit a bunch of people at the front dinette, --although I remain suspicious that the italian-restaurant red vinyl on the seat covers is not original...
Welcome to the forums! We love pictures.

Look just below the message box and you will see another box labeled "Additional Options" and in that box there is a button labeled "Manage Attachments". When you press that button, a small window will open that has several blanks with a browse button to the right of each. Browse to the picture file you wish to post and insert it into the location blank. When you have all of the files listed that you wish to attach, click on the upload button. At the bottom of this window, BTW, is a list of the type of files you can post as well as a size limit for each...basically, they all have the same limits. This should do it.

Again, welcome.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 05:37 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by at_wanderer
'48-'49 Whirlwind.
Heard of two in existence, 'nough said.
I also know of two for sure:

One is at the AS Factory in Jackson Center. This one has two doors, both on the curb side. This one is the 1948 Whirlwind photo at vintageairstream.com.

The other is probably in Europe. A couple of years ago there was some "exporter" that had one listed specifically for export to Europe that he said he found in the Arizona desert. I emailed him for more info, but never heard back. That one had two doors, but the front one was curb side and the rear one was street side. This one is the 1949 Whirlwind photo at vintageairstream.com.

There is also a vintage photo of one with two doors on the curbside on the 1956 Central American Caravan in the book "Airstream - The History of the Land Yacht" by Bryan Burkhart and David Hunt. I wonder if this could be the one now in Jackson Center?

And finally, there is a photo of one being pulled by a 1980's Buick, but I currently can't remember where I saw it. This might also be the one in Jackson Center.

A Whirlwind certainly would be a great Airstream to have.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenandGC
peegreen--

Looking forward to seeing some pics of your great find. Maybe this is the one we drove x country with in '71. Does it have a bunk bed?