Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2005, 08:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
The newbie again

Here goes another question out to yall. Need advice. Okay as you know from my last few post we are looking to buy an Airstream. We sold our old camper on ebay today and also sold my new car on auto trader both will be picked up on Saturday so now we are looking for the perfect tow truck first. I have decided to go on someones idea here and look for a 2 to 3 year old truck with 20 to 30k miles on it. We have looked at all sizes of the Airstream and are leaning toward the 28 to 31ft range.
So all you folks let me know what truck you have and what size camper just want a few more ideas.

Becky
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 08:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel beck
So all you folks let me know what truck you have and what size camper just want a few more ideas.
There is an old joke about an announcement over the loudspeakers at one of the Airstream International rallies: "Attention! We have a lost 7 year old child at here at the office. She says her parents have a silver trailer and a blue Suburban."

Ok, maybe EVERYONE doesn't have a Suburban.

I know there is one, and maybe a couple of polls in the archives on Airstreamer's choice of tow vehicles. One thing in your favor is that right now the size tow vehicle you will need will be selling for far less now than two months ago, what with gas prices and all. Assuming you are looking at something made these last 20 years or so, you will need a pickup/van/SUV in a 3/4 ton size. They are simply too heavy for 1/2 tons. And at that you will need to make sure you have enough horsepower and gearing. There are lots of discussions on engine and transmission choices in the archives as well.

Good luck,

Mark
Old 10-18-2005, 08:28 PM   #3
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Hey Beck, You can search on this topic and find a bunch of threads on the topic. Bottom line to me is that any 1/2 to 3/4 ton Ford/Chevy/Dodge truck will generally do the job. There's a lot of "ifs, ands & buts" in there, but you get the idea. Generally speaking, a V8 with a tow package will git 'er done. I'm partial to Fords (others will dissagree strongly). I own a '97 and a '98 F150. The '97 has a V6 and is not suited to pulling a trailer. The '98 is a V8, auto tranny, tow package, heavt duty suspension. Does right by me.

BTW, did y'all buy a trailer or not. IIRC, you were looking at a couple of them a few weeks back.......

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 09:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Tow Vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel beck
I have decided to go on someones idea here and look for a 2 to 3 year old truck with 20 to 30k miles on it. We have looked at all sizes of the Airstream and are leaning toward the 28 to 31ft range.

Becky
If you are going that big I'd definitely go with a 3/4 ton. I really like my Suburban 2500. It's way more than I need for a 22 CCD. But then I've seen the 25 FB.... and if someone had the right deal on a 28.... sigh. I'm addicted. Now understand I like Chevy's and my last name is FORD. Go figure.

Right now the big SUV's are a glut on the market because of gas prices... so you might be able to get a new one, especially an '05. Talk to a dealer or two... can't hurt. If you want a truck that can haul anything, go for a Cummins Diesel Dually. <--- Yeah, it will vibrate like that too.

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 09:10 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Becky,
FWIW I was towing a 1975 Sovereign 31' with a '03 F150(small V-8), that is a marginal setup, I have also towed (in an urgent situation) with my '97 F150 V-6, and it did fine for the distances involved. Our current tow vehicle is a '96 F350 dually with the PSD which is really overkill for our current AS. I am planning on using an Air Hitch to help soften the ride for the AS. A lot will depend on the trailer you pick. The smaller and lighter the unit, the less beefy the TV will need to be. Airstreams do not like to be "overhitched"; that is hooked up to a vehicle that is heavier than it needs to be for the trailer being towed. I have seen plenty of Suburban/AS combo's over the years and they seemed to do very well.
However you do need to take into consideration the manufacturer's specifications....

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote