Old 07-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Tyler , Texas
I sent 59toaster an email via the forum. I hope he responds with information on where this trailer can be located.

It makes sense the trailer may be in New Mexico. When my folks sold it around 1965/66, they sold it to an Air Force Pilot who was stationed at Holloman AFB in Alamagordo, NM. So, it could be a very good possibility the trailer stayed in the southern New Mexico area. My folks did not sell it to any relatives.

When my folks owned the trailer, we lived in El Paso, TX. Also, when my folks bought the trailer, we drove out to the Airstream factory located in Anaheim, CA. We picked it up and took it back to El Paso.

I have heard of others claiming they were the owners of this trailer when JFK used it. But, I can with 1000% certainty say they are not telling the truth and should be discounted.

One other tid bit on this trailer. At the time it was manufactured, it was one of two trailers at the time with the same floor plan. No other 30' Sovereigns in 1961-63 were built with the same floor plan. The original floor plan design was done by Dwight D. Eisenhower's son and my folks had a trailer built using that design. It was a very unique design and I would be able to identify it very quickly.

So, in essence this trailer has links to two presidents - JFK and Eisenhower via his son.

The only thing that makes me wonder about his trailer is the antenna mount seen to the left of the front window. Our trailer did not have an antenna, but this could have been put on after change of ownership.

Despite the trailer being 50 years old, she doesn't look too bad and looks pretty salvageable for restoration.....something that I would like to do.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
OK, I've done a little more sleuthing . . .

Your grandparents are last listed for #5767 in the 1966 Membership Directory that I have. That would be appropriate if they sold it in about 1965 or 1966. I am missing the 1967 Directory, but . . .

In the 1968 Directory, #5767 is assigned to Jon W. and Fern Ueckert of Albuquerque, NM. Being that they were in New Mexico, it seems likely that your grandparents sold their Airstream to this couple who then were assigned the same membership number since it was already on the trailer.

The Ueckert's are last listed in the 1985 Membership Directory, at which time they were living in Edgewood, NM which is just a bit east from Albuquerque.

I am going to guess that maybe the information from 2004 was that 59toaster was in contact with the grandson of the Ueckert's and possibly the Airstream was owned by the son of the Ueckert's at that time. It is possible that this trailer may have still been in the Albuquerque/Edgewood area at that time, and maybe it is still there today.

I did a quick internet search and found that Jon W. Ueckert passed away in 1992 in Edgewood, NM. I found another link that indicated he was in the Army and acheived the rank of CW4 (Chief Warrant Officer 4). I also found a link suggesting that Fern Ueckert may still be living in Edgewood, NM, but this conflicts with another link for the 2002 obituary of a Ruby Mae Schlechte, that mentioned that her brother Jon W. Ueckert has preceded her in death, but a sister-in-Law Fern Ueckert was then living in Austin (I assume TX). I will not post any of the links I found for privacy reasons, but you can reproduce them on your own. There is a lot to find on the internet, so I will leave the rest of the search up to you.

You might also search for other people named Ueckert in New Mexico and especially near Albuquerque to see if you can locate the son or grandson. There is no telling if the Ueckert family still owns the Airstream or sold it since 2004, but if they did sell it, maybe they have contact information for who they sold it to.

Good Luck with your search!!!

WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #31
Birdie Momma

1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
ah! i love it. it's like re-uniting a long list adopted child wit h the birth parents! Can't wait to see how this pans out! I hope you get the trailer!

59toaster, where are you?
Old 07-17-2012, 11:11 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Fascinating story! Keep us all posted!
Old 07-18-2012, 12:01 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
I can't stop myself . . .

Check out the following this link to a different forum:
FS 1966 Airstream (not mine) - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

In post #12, a user of that forum by the name of jcueckert13 of Edgewood, NM talks about his father owning the JFK 1963 30' Airstream!!!!

In post #15 he provides the three photos that have been re-posted on this forum!!!!

Based upon other posts in that thread, I believe that the user named Grim Reaper on that forum is 59toaster on this forum. I think the source of the information has been found!

Interestingly, post #18 in that thread notes that this Airstream #5767 can be seen at White Sands in a photo on page 34-35 of the book Airstream - History of the Land Yacht by Bryan Burkhart and David Hunt. Forrest and Myrtle Coopers #2071 can be seen in the same photo. JFK can be seen exiting a "hospital" Airstream in a different photo on page 35. The JFK "hospital" Airstream is different from either #5767 or #2071, but we cannot see the ends to see if it has club member numbers on it. There is a sign on the side of #2071 and a red cross on the front, so it may have been another "hospital" Airtstream. There are no such markings to be seen on #5767.

You can see the book and the White Sands photos by following this link and scrolling down to pages 34 & 35:
Airstream: The History of the Land Yacht - Bryan Burkhart, David Hunt - Google Books

That's it. I am done for tonight. Enjoy!
WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:48 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

Tyler , Texas
@66Overlander - Thanks for the update. I certainly appreciate the time and effort to find this information out. Airstream WBCCI No. 2071 owners were friends of my folks. I totally forgot about them in my previous posts. Both Forest and Myrtle Cooper were well respected educators in the El Paso, TX area.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:24 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
I am always amazed at the history of the Airstream.
Pretty fastinating.

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:39 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

Tyler , Texas
To all the great folks who helped me find information on the JFK Airstream. I was able to contact the owner. He said it was sold several years ago and did not remember the person's name or have documentation regarding the transfer of ownership.

He said he'd keep his ear to the ground since the individual who bought it was a local individual in Edgewood, NM. So there may be a possibility of still locating it, but will take a lot more time and effort on my behalf.

Thanks to all who provided info. I appreciate the time, effort and thoughts behind everything you provided!!!
Old 07-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

Tyler , Texas
Airstream - JFK Use of Airstream at White Sands Missile Range - 1962

There still seems to be some confusion about the trailer JFK used at White Sands and the size of unit. There were several Airstream trailers at this event. I am providing another photo of this event with the JFK Airstream located in the background. It has the WBCCI Number 5767. The people in the foreground are my parents who own the trailer. I hope the photo comes through on this post. Compare the number of 5767 in this photo to the photos provided by 66Overlander earlier in this chain of postings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5767-2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	163444  
Old 07-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #38
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
Dmv

So, it appears to have been sold "several years ago" from Mr. X to an unknown party. Check with the DMV; can't be that many AS's sold with Mr. X's name attached to it. And, if accurate, this trailer has history with 3 presidents; Eisenhower, Kennedy, and Johnson.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

Tyler , Texas
Airstream - JFK Use of Airstream at White Sands Missile Range - 1962

The State of New Mexico makes it difficult for an individual to obtain DMV records on vehicle transfers/sales. The state's web site clearly says:

Subscriber Services

"The New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division offers online services to businesses that have a legitimate business need to access information. Services can only be accessed by subscribers that meet federal and state statutory laws. The annual fee for a single subscription is $75, which provides access for up to 10 registered users. If you require more than 10 users, you may purchase additional subscriptions (e.g., one subscription for 10 users, two subscriptions for 20 users, and so on). You are billed monthly for any fees associated with the services."

I would not qualify as a legitimate business under the state's guidelines since I do not possess the necessary business documents.

Consequently, I can not do a search on the JFK Airstream using the State of New Mexico Department of Motor Vehicles web site. Additionally, a user would need to provide the trailer's VIN; something that I do no know nor does the previous owner.

I'm sure there is more than one way to skin a cat and the same can be said for searching for title information. It will just take some time.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #40
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
USA Locators

Contact USA LOCATORS, LLC
10336 Durham Street NW
Albuquerque, NM 87114
505-349-5950

They may be able to help with the search.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmstrong View Post
To all the great folks who helped me find information on the JFK Airstream. I was able to contact the owner. He said it was sold several years ago and did not remember the person's name or have documentation regarding the transfer of ownership.

He said he'd keep his ear to the ground since the individual who bought it was a local individual in Edgewood, NM. So there may be a possibility of still locating it, but will take a lot more time and effort on my behalf.

Thanks to all who provided info. I appreciate the time, effort and thoughts behind everything you provided!!!

I just wanted to wish you the best luck in finding and acquiring this trailer. What a great story...!!