Old 10-09-2014, 08:22 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Can you guys tell I've been thinking about our first trip in the airstream? 😜

Old 10-09-2014, 08:46 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Another dumb question... If my house has a curbside sewer cleanout. Can I simply dump there?

Old 10-09-2014, 08:52 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Yep. If you go to Walmart, they have a RV sewer hose setup, and one item in that is an elbow that has different sized threads. One of those threads should match the threads on the inside of your cleanout (provided it's the right type - has a cap with a big square in the middle that twists in and out. That set can provide you pretty much a water tight connection between your trailer and your septic system. One thing you may want to do though is close off your tank until it's about half full. Leaving it hooked up is great for the gray water, but if you open the black tank, you'll have dry... "crud" piling up. It's better to keep everything wet, and then let it kind of flush at once. Make sure your connections are tight when you pull the valve. It can be a decent amount of pressure, and you don't want that hose to pop off.

Rob.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:38 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomotomoto View Post
Another dumb question... If my house has a curbside sewer cleanout. Can I simply dump there?
If you are hooked up to City Sewer then that will be fine with no caveats.

However NOTE TO OTHERS: beware that if you are on a private septic system (i.e., with your own holding tank and leach field,) your septic system may not have the capacity to accept the 70 - 80 or so gallons that a full grey/black dump from a modern mid to large size Airstream might send to it in a short period of time.

However, in the case of the OP, who indicated that he only has a 15 gallon black tank, he will be fine even on a private septic system.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:37 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
If you are hooked up to City Sewer then that will be fine with no caveats.

However NOTE TO OTHERS: beware that if you are on a private septic system (i.e., with your own holding tank and leach field,) your septic system may not have the capacity to accept the 70 - 80 or so gallons that a full grey/black dump from a modern mid to large size Airstream might send to it in a short period of time.

However, in the case of the OP, who indicated that he only has a 15 gallon black tank, he will be fine even on a private septic system.

All I can think of is the scene from national lampoons vacation when cousin Eddie is dumping his rv in Clark's sewer 😂😂
Old 10-09-2014, 11:37 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
San Antonio , Texas
Eddie is a true Renaissance Man.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:27 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomotomoto View Post
All I can think of is the scene from national lampoons vacation when cousin Eddie is dumping his rv in Clark's sewer 😂😂
We actually had such a moment last weekend when we were departing UrbanAir in Eaton Rapids, Michigan. We were invited to use the City's waste water treatment plant dump station and there must have been some sort of blockage in the plant's vent system because all of a sudden I head a "gurgle & gargle" and during the time it took me to reach the dump valve to close it, a good two or three gallons of "post digestive material" had accumulated around the dump drain.

Fortunately for all involved, there was an unusually generous concrete pad (recessed thankfully) so the damage was easily cleaned up with the nearby non-potable water hose.

The people in line behind me appreciated the heads up for their turns at the dump station.

I should add that for this particular dump, we did not use the Sewer Solution but rather the stinky slinky we also carry so that we could dump quickly (who knew how quickly!) and not hold up the people behind us.

Phew.