Old 10-08-2014, 11:02 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
San Antonio , Texas
There is a free website, Sanidumps: RV Dumps, Sani Stations, Dump Points a comprehensive directory, that list various dump stations. By way of example, our 22 FB Sport has the following tanks/capacities: black water, 18 gal.; fresh water, 20 gal.; grey water, 24 gal.. For the two of us, a long weekend will bring the black tank to 1/2 to 3/4 full. If we are not careful, we can fill the grey tank in less than 24 hours. Showers & dishwashing are the main culprits. You can really save if you seek out alternatives on those fronts. W/O a sewer hookup, I am relegated to the campground facilities, but DW really likes the privacy of showering in the Airstream.

I just bought a Thetford 18 gal smart tote which I intend to use to manage the grey water only. Depending on your circumstances & moral outlook, there is a cap for the sewer outlet that is available with just a garden hose fitting. You can just attach a junk garden hose and run the grey water wherever you wish. You can also Google the concept of a "leaky bucket" which is something I understand campers did before the popularity of grey water tanks. Essentially, you drained your grey water into a bucket with one or more holes and it slowly seeped out.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:05 PM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
You can also Google the concept of a "leaky bucket" which is something I understand campers did before the popularity of grey water tanks. Essentially, you drained your grey water into a bucket with one or more holes and it slowly seeped out.
The idea is, don't dump it faster than it can soak into the soil. Uncontrolled runoff is one of the bigger environmental hazards of dumping your gray tank directly on the ground since it can cause soil erosion.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:21 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
San Antonio , Texas
Yes, exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-08-2014, 01:30 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
I have a 64 and recently installed my own gray tanks and a new black tank. Just search for my posts and you can see some of my work in that area. Before you go camping, even with full hookups, I would suggest filling your black tank all the way up and check for leaks. I thought mine was fine and found out I had a huge crack that only showed when there was some weight of water in the tank. If you do have a cracked black tank, you may be able to do a fiberglass repair depending on where it is. Mine was at the valve, and I just decided to replace it, but the option is to drop the pan, then get a fiberglass kit from an auto body shop and make the repair for $20.00. You can also get a porta pottie. They can be $100 and you can dump them at a bathroom. Buy a shoulder bag (or get one from Goodwill) that you can carry the tank in. We also used a bucket loo on our first couple trips. Bucket, seat, bags with absorber and kitty litter, and tossed them in the dumpster. The last thing you want is sewage leaking into the pan under your trailer. (unless your black tank is above the floor)

Rob
Old 10-08-2014, 03:48 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
The idea is, don't dump it faster than it can soak into the soil. Uncontrolled runoff is one of the bigger environmental hazards of dumping your gray tank directly on the ground since it can cause soil erosion.
Also, make sure your "leaky bucket" or discharge hose is not near any body of water or stream. Running your grey water dump so it discharges under a shrub or bush will not only water the plant but also help mitigate any runoff.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:09 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
Also, make sure your "leaky bucket" or discharge hose is not near any body of water or stream. Running your grey water dump so it discharges under a shrub or bush will not only water the plant but also help mitigate any runoff.

Here on the east coast, there isn't all that much truly rural land where dumping gray water won't affect anyone else. Out west, in semi-arid or arid areas you can make an "evaporation pool" basically any biggish divot covered with plastic or a tarp. Drain the water out and let sunshine do the rest.

I hadn't actually realized there was a cap with a hose fitting - but if I had one, I might even be tempted to use a short regular hose attached to a longer soaker hose so that the water could drip out over a wide area and immediately water the greenery. Thanks for the knowledge - and now I know what I could have done with those leaky old white hoses I've thrown away!

Paula
Old 10-08-2014, 06:21 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
The black tank. Um, need some advice...

So this might be kinda sorta (totally) a dumb question, but...why don't people set up their trailers to drain grey water directly to the campground sewer hook ups? This way they could use whatever was needed without having to babysit tank levels.

In our case we have a combination grey/black tank that has some sort of valve that allows grey water to run out, or run into the black tank if chosen. I haven't actually seen it yet, but the seller has explained this to me.

I figure if I could do that (drain grey water automatically), it would make things a bit easier when at the full hook up sites.

Am I missing something?
Old 10-08-2014, 06:27 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes.

Black water is dumped first. Grey water is flushed second, which cleans the hose.

Maggie
Old 10-08-2014, 06:28 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
San Antonio , Texas
If you have separate grey and black tanks, technically you can leave the grey valve open when fully hooked up. I think it is not really recommended, if for no other reason than you need the grey water to rinse your sewer hose after dumping the black.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-08-2014, 06:46 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
The black tank. Um, need some advice...

With one of those sewer solution assist things that use the Venturi effect -- you don't really need it to clean the hose with the grey water. The fresh water does it, and pretty well too.

Also the ridges in the line are soooo nasty. What's up with that? Not really good with all those nooks and crannies. Wouldn't you agree?
Old 10-09-2014, 08:03 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomotomoto View Post
With one of those sewer solution assist things that use the Venturi effect -- you don't really need it to clean the hose with the grey water. The fresh water does it, and pretty well too.

Also the ridges in the line are soooo nasty. What's up with that? Not really good with all those nooks and crannies. Wouldn't you agree?
We use the Sewer Solution for just this reason. Much tidier.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:06 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Quote:

Totally. Do you leave your grey water open so it drains at it flows in?
Old 10-09-2014, 08:17 AM   #27
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
But not terribly useful for boondocking unless you dump at a dump station with a non-potable water hookup.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:20 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomotomoto View Post
Totally. Do you leave your grey water open so it drains at it flows in?
No, when we have sewer hookups, we leave both valves shut. Typically I drain the grey tank daily (we are MUCH less careful when we have sewer hookups ) and dump the black as needed followed by the grey. This generally allows me to skip using the Sewer Solution's water-driven macerator when dumping the black (which I always use when we are ready to leave a campsite with full hookups to thoroughly clean the sewer solution system.

Many (most?) people leave their grey closed even when hooked up to a sewer serviced site to help dump the grey tank. While not as bad as the black tank, the grey tank can also build up solids if you leave the valve open all the time (think, grease, food particles, hair, etc...)

Like the choice of type of tow vehicles, Ford, vs. GM, vs. Dodge, gas vs. diesel, Honda vs. Yamaha generators, vintage vs. new, lager vs. ale, everyone has their favorite method for dumping their tanks and many will swear that if you do not follow their specific methodology you will be risking life and limb. My recommendation is to listen to all the advice, look for any wisdom in the suggestions, and come up with an approach which works for you!