Old 01-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Mount clemens , Michigan
The best forum ever

I have been on a lot of forums and I have to say this is the best one I have ever been on. So many times you read a forum and every question is answered with "if you had just searched for it" or "that has been asked before" and people have real attitudes. I really have not seen that on this forum. Sure you can spend an hour looking through a bunch of posts but it is really easier to just ask, especially if you have follow up questions. I am thankful for the advice I get and will try to offer my help when I get more rivets to my name.

I have one thought and suggestion for all the "masters" out there. Maybe some "guides" can be created and made into sticky posts. For example one on the different types of rivets used, differences in the types, sizes commonly used to install and remove. Or one on electrical, size wire to use, appropriate fuse size, general wiring diagrams ect.

I'm sure these guides will generate a lot of responses and debate but that is OK. I know all the info is out there it just might help if general overviews were available.

Keep up the great work all.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I'm glad you're enjoying the forum!

The problem with guides, which we've talked about before (which you'd know if you'd searched - JUST JOKING ) is that people have a lot of opinions on what is right, but really there are a number of ways to do it which will work just fine - and that goes for almost everything on your trailer. I doubt we could come to an agreement on most topics, and it might come to blow over others Everything from what kind of plywood to use when you repair your floor, to what kind of rivet to use, has almost certainly more than one answer, particularly when you consider the variety of models over the years.

Luckily everyone loves to hear about a new project, and see pics of the progress, and give advice as it goes along, so even asking the same questions again usually does not bother folks. Often the question are a little bit different for each project, each trailer anyway.

You'll still get the occasional 'you should have searched', but I'm glad we have a friendly community and those are far between.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Brianv512 - I agree with you that this forum is a wonderful tool. I started my 65 Safari spring of 09 and got a ton of help from the kind folks here. Nice to see another Michigander on the forums.

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianv512 View Post
I have one thought and suggestion for all the "masters" out there. Maybe some "guides" can be created and made into sticky posts. For example one on the different types of rivets used, differences in the types, sizes commonly used to install and remove. Or one on electrical, size wire to use, appropriate fuse size, general wiring diagrams ect.
I an active on a couple of other forums (kite related) that do use the "sticky post" format. Those are very handy, however, there are so many useful topics on this forum that sticky posts might take up the whole first page.

Using the "Forums" tab, I have been able to get to what I need pretty fast.

What do you think?
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Granted that the 'Search' feature takes a lot of 'research' in itself. That being said just about every answer to almost every question IS in there. I found that a simpler way to narrow your Searches is to 'Google' it.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I, too, participate and have participated on a number of forums. These have been mostly automotive and RV related. They all provide helpful information and leads, but Airforums is the best by a good margin. I say this with the risk of sounding prejudice as I am one of the moderators here.

I agree that most of the other forums have some personalities that tend to run off new members with their pontifical garbage. We do have few of those here, but we try to keep them at bay with our stringently enforced "be nice" policy.

As far as our "search" feature is concerned, it leaves something to be desired. I have always had better results using Google searches. I use the word Airforums and the topic that I am trying to chase down.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1990 34' Excella
1964 22' Safari
Savage , Minnesota
Quote:
I have been on a lot of forums and I have to say this is the best one I have ever been on. So many times you read a forum and every question is answered with "if you had just searched for it" or "that has been asked before" and people have real attitudes. I really have not seen that on this forum. Sure you can spend an hour looking through a bunch of posts but it is really easier to just ask, especially if you have follow up questions. I am thankful for the advice I get and will try to offer my help when I get more rivets to my name.
I agree and have thought of this as well. I have been part of other Forums whereby people just get flamed asking a simple question. That is not the case here; we can ask dumb questions all day long! When there is someone out of line, they get course corrected very quickly. I have to assume we have great Forum members, and that our Moderators do a good job of policing the very few that get out of line.

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
http://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:56 PM   #8
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
As far as our "search" feature is concerned, it leaves something to be desired. I have always had better results using Google searches. I use the word Airforums and the topic that I am trying to chase down.
Brian
From the google.com search page, or if you browser has a search bar set to use google, you can use the "site:" parameter to search for results from a specific site.

site:airforums.com moose sightings

Will give you only results from the domain airforums.com.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:50 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Mount clemens , Michigan
I will give those search options a try. As far as the stickys are concerned I was thinking general information generally outlining materials and options. Like the different subfloor materials that are used or the options for aluminum skin. Presenting just facts and options will stir the debate. Just a thought but I will for sure use the google search.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:42 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
fair oaks , California
Quote:

I'm sure these guides will generate a lot of responses and debate but that is OK. I know all the info is out there it just might help if general overviews were available.

Keep up the great work all.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
On one of the other Forums I follow they have a tab thats called the FAQ tab where all frequently asked questions and the answers are posted so the portal isn't clogged up with too many stickys at the top of the page. Might that be a system to follow?