Old 08-18-2015, 01:03 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Indianapolis , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
Welcome, Susan! Please post pictures when you get your new coach. Don't expect it to arrive with no issues, but don't let the dealer put off repairs until the warranty is out, either.

Welcome to the forum.
kb0zke

David thanks for the encouragement and for the reminder to make sure everything is working while under warranty. It did take me aback to see your caution as we were naively thinking everything new is perfect. :-)

Do you know whether we need to take it back to the place we originally purchased it to have warranty work done? I ask because there is a dealer less than 2 hours from us. We purchased this from one 3-4 hours away. (We did that because we saw a Classic when we first started looking but could not get our eyes on one after that and we wanted to take one more look to be sure.)

Thanks again!

Susam

Old 08-18-2015, 01:10 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Indianapolis , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmiess View Post
We took the plunge in Feb and ordered our new Classic. We got it in April and we love it!! We picked it up in Columbus, Oh and headed down to see our daughter in Florida. With only a few minor issues, we came back home through Ohio and stopped at Jackson Center to have it checked out. So happy we did that. They are great there. and let you camp there too.

Curious why you took it back to Jackson Center as opposed to the dealer? Can you do that as long as it is under warranty? I suppose you make an appointment with them somehow?

We just decided to get a portable 200w solar charger to add in case we can't use our generators. !

This isn't the one that comes from the factory, is it? I will be eager to hear how you like it. We opted not to get the one from Airstream.

Have a great trip!! Thanks so much for the encouragement
!

Old 08-18-2015, 01:13 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Indianapolis , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby7731 View Post
I just ordered a new 2016 Classic in May and picked it up last week in Columbus. Love it and looking forward to spending winters away from Indianapolis. Congrats on your Classic!
Rudy we are not very far apart. You are the first person we know in the area who has a 2016 Classic. It will be fun to compare notes!

Susan
Old 08-18-2015, 01:16 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Indianapolis , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAirStmr View Post
We're a few days away from purchasing a Classic too. What color combo did you choose? I want to get Macadamia/Sandalwood, but am worried as I haven't actually seen this combo anywhere.
We ended up getting the macadamia and midnight counters. We thought about the darker color furniture and loved it but wondered if the dark with the dark cabinetry would be to dark for us.

Doubt you can go wrong either way.

Good luck with your purchase! This should be fun!
Old 08-18-2015, 01:19 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Indianapolis , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvketchum View Post
Pictures, please! Also, please look into joining the Airstream Owners Club, where you can meet with and camp with other Airstream owners! Good times, good stories, good friend you just haven't met yet! Hope to see you down the road....

www.wbcci.org

Tom
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Tom we are looking forward to joining the club and meeting people. We've only know one person who has ever owned an Airstream. We have much to learn.!
Old 08-18-2015, 02:02 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Welcome to the addiction!

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/airstream.nerds.7
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:12 PM   #21

Currently Looking...
Westerville , Ohio
Recent factory tour

If I remember correctly, they're shipping 65 units per week (all sold) -- only saw about 5 Classics on the production floor. The new expansion facility is supposed to open in the fall IF they can find enough skilled employees to staff it. Honda manufacturing and dozens of automotive suppliers share the same recruiting base so staffing is not a trivial problem for Airstream. Just hope they get their quality under control as they ramp up production to 90+ per week. Want to order a Classic early next year, but will make another visit to the factory first.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:25 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Hollandale , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanFleck View Post
This isn't the one that comes from the factory, is it? I will be eager to hear how you like it. We opted not to get the one from Airstream.

Have a great trip!! Thanks so much for the encouragement
!
No, we opted not to take the factory solar too. We are getting a portable one that just sets up on the ground. It is delayed though due to a dock strike. We likely won't have it for our trip.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:39 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Enjoy and welcome!
Old 08-19-2015, 09:53 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Hollandale , Wisconsin
On our original trip to tour the factory, someone told us that we would be smart to come there for service whenever possible, because they are so familiar with all the components and work on them everyday. We were so pleased with the technician we had! He found things we didn't even know were in need of fixing. Mostly small things, like door latch adjustments, floor squeaks, and some work on the trim. We had most of our problems with the window shades on the curved windows. We have a dealer within 2 hours, but we weren't very happy with the way they were when we went to shop around. Our dealer helped us set up the appointment, but you can call and set it up anytime yourself. They spent a half a day going over our trailer and you can camp there for free! It was a great experience, plus it's fun to go there. It takes us about 7 hours to drive there from home. I would do it again though.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:46 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Orlando , Florida
Today we sealed the deal on a 2016 Classic too! In November we'll drive to Foley RV in Mississippi to pick it up barring any production delays. We went with Twins, Oven, and Macadamia/Sandalwood combo. Decided against the power awning even though we'd been strongly leaning in that direction. We'll go to AM Solar next summer for solar.

This was a tough decision. Even now I'm questioning whether we should have gone with the Serenity (for more light but less storage) and our own recliners ala DHart. Everyone should know that now Airstream isn't offering the lounge delete option anymore -- heard that from both Foley and Colonial (Patrick) this week. We could have dealt with the lounge ourselves, but in the end, since we'll be living full-time in this rig, we decided to go for maximum storage and comforts.

Now on to buying a truck, which is a much more intimidating purchase.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:32 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Hollandale , Wisconsin
We had a 2002 GMC 3/4 ton when we ordered our trailer. We decided to shop around and we traded it in on a Chev. Silverado 3/4 ton. We LOVE it! It is so smooth and handles the Airstream like a dream It has Wifi and lots of great features. We have not regretted that purchase one time. I didn't know they offered Macadamia with the Sandalwood. Isn't that light leather and light counters? We are having trouble keeping our batteries charged up when unplugged. Something must be draining them down. We are practicing for boon docking next month. I should mention that we've also had a 96 Silverado for years, and it is still running. They seem to be a good truck. It's only a 1/2 ton, but it got me to work for lots of winters through bad weather.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:40 PM   #27
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Welcome aboard!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:41 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmiess View Post
I didn't know they offered Macadamia with the Sandalwood. Isn't that light leather and light counters?
Yes, light/light combo. In 2016, Airstream added the ability to mix and match the light/dark furniture and countertops in the Classic. I think a few others on this forum have the light/light combo. I hope I like it when I see it!

We'll definitely be going with a 3/4 ton truck and getting a cab-high bed topper for it. Finally decided on the diesel (we intend to go almost everywhere you can go on this continent so lots of mountains in our future) so those decisions are made at least. We think we know the Fords fairly well, but we don't know anything about the Chevys and Rams, so we'll start shopping this weekend to learn more about them. Payload will be our priority. Maybe we can get a good deal on a 2015 since the 2016s are here now.

Thanks for your input on the Silverado! Don't you love all the truck names? Laramie, Silverado, Denali...the sound of adventure!

Joanne