Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2006, 05:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Havana , Florida
Question Taking Ownership of New Airstream from Dealer

Any critical things we should be looking for before we take ownership of our new airstream?
Old 09-24-2006, 06:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Checklist and Search for Buyers Guide

There are a few checklists available. You could also go through the forums.
A horror story is available at "And the fun never stops," so I hope you have picked out a reputable dealer nearby. Some camp out overnight on the dealers lot before signing. At the very least check out every system, door and detail with a fine tooth comb. Work with another critical person and be methodical, say front to back and side to side. Make sure everything works and is fixed before you sign and pay.
A new Airstream is not something to buy lightly unless you have money to burn.
I like the oldies, no warranties, cheaper and they are infinitly customizable.
Good luck,
R
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 07:10 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Since you're in Havana, there's a good chance your getting your Airstream from Sanders in Alachua. That's where we bought our 25'. They are really good people and will make everything right.

We would suggest taking your time and going through everything as completely as possible. We spent our first night in Lucy nearby at the KOA in Starke, and tried everything out. We returned to Sanders the next morning to iron out a couple of minor problems. This seemed to work for us. Ya'll are closer than us. Running back from Tallahassee isn't quite as bad as coming from way out in the Panhandle where we are.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 07:29 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Beth,
Congratulations on your move. I wonder what that would be like. I've owned several, yet have never taken delivery of a brand new one. I have, however, had several friends who have, and have seen them having all kinds of problems. I have purchased one used trailer from a dealer in Jackson, MS. He insisted I come prepared to stay in it on his lot for at least two nights. We ended up staying both of those nights. The first morning, we gave him a list of things that were not working. The second morning, we did the same. He had a man dedicated soley to effecting the repairs. We left much happier than we would have, if I had found those things as we traveled home, and then had to drive back to have them fixed. I agree with 'R', if you can make arrangements to do so, stay over at least one night, make sure the dealer will start on necessary fixes early the next morning. These units are hand built, and there is a good chance they will not be perfect upon delivery. Also, make sure the dealer inspects the brake and light hookups, and the brake controller works and is adjusted properly. When you leave the lot, THEY should have taken great pains to set up the weight distributing hitch so that the trailer sits level, as well as the front of your tow vehicle must have the proper proportion of weight to make it drive right and the trailer to track right. Most professionals will take at the minimum 2-3 hours to set one up. Some will take even longer. Test drives need to be made.
Make sure the sales person demonstrates every system in the trailer.
The gas appliances, how to turn gas on and off. The TV antenna, and the booster. Where the cable in jack is, where the water in is, where the black AND the gray drains are, how to run the test panel, where the fuse panel is, EVERYTHING. Make him prove the furnace runs(heats), the A/C works, take a flashlight, hook up water from the outside, and look EVERYWHERE (inside cabinets,etc)for water leaks (plumbing), make sure the water pump works.
And....for many years of trouble free towing, make yourself a check list of what to do every time you hook up to leave, and use it! The first time you tear your steps off or your TV antenna off, then you will wish you had!
ENJOY, and welcome
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 06:39 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Havana , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
Since you're in Havana, there's a good chance your getting your Airstream from Sanders in Alachua. That's where we bought our 25'. They are really good people and will make everything right.

We would suggest taking your time and going through everything as completely as possible. We spent our first night in Lucy nearby at the KOA in Starke, and tried everything out. We returned to Sanders the next morning to iron out a couple of minor problems. This seemed to work for us. Ya'll are closer than us. Running back from Tallahassee isn't quite as bad as coming from way out in the Panhandle where we are.
Moosetags

You are correct, we are purchasing our airstream from Sanders in Alachua. They have been very good too us. I really like the idea of staying in the KOA in Starke so it will be easy to go back the next day if necessary. I love the forums, they are so informative and they don't make you feel like an idiot for asking questions.

We love Santa Rosa Beach we have stayed at Topsail State Park in Santa Rosa and we truly enjoyed our stay. Next time we stay there we will be bringing our bikes.

I will be on the look out for your license tag. I love it.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Check it out!

I suggest you read Gunnys' posts on his New purchase. (His SE earlier this year) I love my oldie Airstreams and would never by a new Airstream after hearing the reports on workmanship and lack of Dealer support of supposed warranty work.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:02 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
Now hold on there 'pardner ...

If I'd read some of the posts here before I bought my new '06, they might just have scared me out of it! I say, go pick it up, enjoy it, don't worry yourself to death; you'll have a 2 year warranty on everything from the hitch to the rear bumper and if you live within an hour or two of the dealer it won't be a massive undertaking to take it back if anything has to be fixed. Go camping! Most things will be perfectly awesome, some things will be awesome but imperfect, so you take a notebook and write down anything you notice - no biggie. Even easier, take a roll of blue painter's tape and just stick a piece on anything that isn't perfect and then tell the dealer, "fix the stuff with blue tape on it." It really shouldn't be much. Despite the horror stories of a few folks, we've used our new '06 at least one or two times a month since we bought it in April and have had very, very few problems, and the problems we've had have been very minor. We haven't even bothered taking it back to the dealer yet b/c there's nothing serious enough to justify the trip.

ENJOY YOUR NEW AIRSTREAM! I have no doubt you will love it!

BH

GO GATORS!!
dbradhstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Airstream Dealer (other than selling Dealer) Waranty

Somehow this reminds me of my Avitar
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	**** Creek.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	26271  
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:20 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Havana , Florida
Thumbs up New Vs. Vintage

Both are wonderful!

We owned a 1962 32 foot deep water cruiser sailboat. My husband and I worked every weekend on it to keep it ship shape. New or Vintage. This time we are buying the new. Yes, as alway there will be problems. We like to look at the glass half full.

So we will enjoy our New airstream, no matter what arrises.

Life is short.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Many viewpoints have been expressed here, all of them have some validity. Don't expect perfection, it won't be. But you will probably have a very plesant experience, although this DOES depend on the commitment to quality of your dealer.

When you make your walk-through inspection, take notes on how to use the different functions. Unless you are already familiar with A/S, it will all make sense as the salesperson explains things, but you always will forget something.

Follow the items mentioned above in other posts regarding things to check. Make a list now so you don't forget anything.

Enjoy your new trailer, I know you will!
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote