Old 11-06-2005, 07:44 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Yes, I agree. My wife does have a very valid point. Our 5th wheel is like dragging around most of our house! It even has a washer/dryer! Lots of storage and lots of room. 3 slide outs and a huge kitchen that we both enjoy. BUT...I don't enjoy washing or sometimes pulling the big ole thing. And HEAVY...it weighs 13,000 lbs. DRY!

But we can compromise though. I intend to locate a really clean used one that we can use for rallys and group campouts with Airstream people (and she is cool with this idea) and keep the 5th wheel for times when more of our family are involved. In fact that would give us an extra trailer for family to sleep in. One of the aspects of Airstreaming are the people. We tend to usually camp alone and since we also live way out in the country...well...I tend to get a bit lonesome.

I really believe that once I get her involved with an Airstream group she will get hooked. We had a bad experience with this "other" independent camping group several years ago and didn't have a very good time. So she is a bit nervous about getting involved with another.

With all this being said, I realize that we must keep the 1 ton. It would drag the heck out of a 30' Airstream. I wouldn't even know it was back there. Thanks for all the input. Carl

Old 11-06-2005, 11:29 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Airstream or 5th wheel ???

Carl--Do you live full time in your 5th wheel or just use it for vacations, weekends, etc? If you're full timing I can understand you need for space and storage. We went through some of the some considerations you did concerening weight size etc before going with Airstream. These are some of our thoughts. Extra space looks nice but do we need all that some of the big 5th wheels offer? All that space requires cooling in the summer and heating in cold weather, thus more propane or electrical power needs. Many parks,state and national, have limited spaces for large units. A 2-3 mpg gain with a smaller unit over a 300-400 mile day can add up to enough $$$ to pay for a campsite. We spent the better part of 3 months in a 25' Airstream this summer and never felt crowded or a need for more storage. We have since ordered a 30' as we wanted a dinnette. We have plansto full time in the future and plan on using the 30' .------Pieman

Old 11-06-2005, 12:26 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

We do not full time. Our usual trips are within 150 miles of home and last for a couple of days to a week. Now sometimes we will go longer if we are headed out of state, but that is only once every year or so. My wife really likes the washer/dryer, but I suggested that we just pack a few more underware etc. in the truck and wash when we get home. I have no doubt we could make it work...and REALLY enjoy it!

Aside from the Airstream trailer itself, one of the most attractive aspects is the comraderie of fellow Airstreamers that appeals to me. I have really enjoyed these forums and eagerly examine this site daily. Our RV does not have a large owners association at all. Only on the west coast, so we do not get the advantage of meeting other people, which I would really like to do, since we live in Texas. It is a long way from here to Oregon to rally.

Thanks for your input. Carl
Old 11-07-2005, 07:02 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Third Annual Blanco Forum Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1949
...Our usual trips are within 150 miles of home and last for a couple of days to a week....Aside from the Airstream trailer itself, one of the most attractive aspects is the comraderie of fellow Airstreamers that appeals to me. I have really enjoyed these forums and eagerly examine this site daily.
Carl:

You now have another chance at "experiencing" an AS Forum Rally..."just up the road" by Texas measurement.

Pull up the thread below:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...-tx-19048.html

I have been in attendance the past two years, and will be there with the 345 on the weekend of Dec. 10. The 'Santa' parade and courthouse Christmas sale makes for a diversified weekend. The campground is right on the river within walking distance of the town square.

There will be new, old, Argosy, and Motor Home Air Streams there.

SOBs (Some Other Brands) will be tolerated as long as there is a strong interest in Air Streams.

Initiations will be conducted during the Rally.

Hope to see you there!

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 08:42 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71
Carl,
If you are looking at a 30' then you will need at least a 3/4 ton truck. I pull a 25' 1986 Sovereign and a 31' 1977 Excella 500 and I would not want to pull on a regular basis with a 1/2 ton.
I agree with Carl on this point. When we purchased our 31' Excella I pulled it with a Ford F-150. After realizing that the AS was driving the truck at some times, we upgraded to an F-350. We were looking at the F-250's but this one was a demo and I got it for less than the 250. It also has a diesel, which has been my second best decision....that is behind buying our Airstream.

PS. Our WBCCI unit is holding a rally in Boerne over the upcoming Thanksgiving weekend and there are several folks with newer trailers that would be more than happy to let you check them out.

Mitch
Old 11-07-2005, 09:04 PM   #20
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:

But we can compromise though. I intend to locate a really clean used one that we can use for rallys and group campouts with Airstream people (and she is cool with this idea) and keep the 5th wheel for times when more of our family are involved. In fact that would give us an extra trailer for family to sleep in. One of the aspects of Airstreaming are the people. We tend to usually camp alone and since we also live way out in the country...well...I tend to get a bit lonesome.

I really believe that once I get her involved with an Airstream group she will get hooked. We had a bad experience with this "other" independent camping group several years ago and didn't have a very good time. So she is a bit nervous about getting involved with another.

With all this being said, I realize that we must keep the 1 ton. It would drag the heck out of a 30' Airstream. I wouldn't even know it was back there. Thanks for all the input. Carl
Carl,
I am right there with you...we are in the market for a decent high end used 5'ver. I live on the road 11+ months out of the year. I LOVE my AS, but the convenienceof the 5'ver has a lot to offer. Plus the fact I love the vintage AS but I am not at home to work on it enough. As far as the 1 ton...wanna guess what I just bought .... '96 F350 CC,DRW, PSD 4.10ls 39k on it! BTW someone said a while back that "my hobby is RV's" I agree completely, I don't do golf, harley's or whatever. But I live and breathe RV's...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 04:21 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Aaron,
Yep...RV's are addicting and they make a great hobby! I started out tent camping as a boy...family bought a pop up camper a few years later... travel trailer after travel trailer...one motor home...now the fifth wheel. I just want to add a lean-to on our 5th wheel barn and store the (eventual) Airstream there! I could have a collection!
Old 11-08-2005, 04:36 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Blanco forum rally

Dennis,
My wife and I are interested in the Blanco Rally. However, our rig is BIG and we checked out Blanco River State Park a few months ago. I will need to check with them to see if they have a spot that we can fit in to. As I remember, the spaces are a bit on the tight side. With that being said...we are going to try like heck to make it there. The river is beautiful and we would love to share in your holiday festivities! I'm hoping we can make this work! Thanks again for the invitation! Carl
Old 11-08-2005, 04:54 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Why not...

Quote:
We do not full time. Our usual trips are within 150 miles of home and last for a couple of days to a week. Now sometimes we will go longer if we are headed out of state, but that is only once every year or so. My wife really likes the washer/dryer, but I suggested that we just pack a few more underware etc. in the truck and wash when we get home. I have no doubt we could make it work...and REALLY enjoy it!

Aside from the Airstream trailer itself, one of the most attractive aspects is the comraderie of fellow Airstreamers that appeals to me.
Carl.... if YOU did the laundry she'd stop caring about the washer & dryer

Tin Lizzie
Old 11-08-2005, 05:22 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

washer and dryer

Tin Lizzie...........we are laughing our heads off!!! That was so appropriate...but highly uncalled for!!!!!!!! My wife says you are a woman after her own heart!!! Thanks for the fun!!!!
Old 11-08-2005, 08:30 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Carl--One thing that's not been mentioned here as to convincing your wife. My wife just stepped out of the room so I feel safe in mentioning it. PAIN, the universal language for wives. After I got my STICK my wife became a puppy dog. One application is all it took!!! Now all I have to do is snap my fingers and point at the thing and she's out the door hitching up the Airstream.-----Pieman
Old 11-08-2005, 08:36 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Pain

I am going to have to ponder that one for a bit before I respond.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:40 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Carl--One thing that's not been mentioned here as to convincing your wife. My wife just stepped out of the room so I feel safe in mentioning it. PAIN, the universal language for wives. After I got my STICK my wife became a puppy dog. One application is all it took!!! Now all I have to do is snap my fingers and point at the thing and she's out the door hitching up the Airstream.-----Pieman
Notice that he said "she just stepped out of the room". If she ever sees that post he has had it!

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 07:50 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

It sounds like what you really need is a really small AS TT, like 25 maybe, or even smaller? In addition to your FW. One size fits none... Sounds like you need an AS in your case...