Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2014, 10:40 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seguin , Texas
Sway Control Hitch Question

Will be towing 2014 FC 27' and my TV is. 1 Ton Dodge diesel. I know the TV will have no problems pulling the AS; however, just want some kind of understanding of hitches before picking it up. My TV was going to be a Yukon Denali and the dealership had recommended an Equalizer E4 hitch. Now that I've got the 1 Ton TV they say that I probably need the Equalizer E2. Can't really get a good explanation from them on why one is better than the other and would really like to understand. The Equalizer website is pretty poor on providing technical information. Would appreciate any thoughts on what I should be looking for in a hitch for this combination. What are you using and why? Etc.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Laidback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I tow with a 2500 dodge and use a Reese straight line hitch with 800 lb bars for my 25' and 1000 lb bars for my 32'. Works fine for me. I think you should give the Reese hitch a look.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The E4 has extremely stiff weight distribution bars while the E2 bars are more flexible because of their tapered design.

The long-time Airstream repair shop owners on this forum suggest the 1 ton truck has too heavy a suspension for a mid-sized Airstream, but that's what you have. If it's long wheelbase it will be very difficult to distribute weight to the truck's front axle, and you may not need to.

Your concern should be the heavy suspension beating up you and the Airstream, and sway dampening. So pick a hitch with light, flexible w.d. bars and good sway dampening. A Reese dual cam with light w.d. bars is a common solution, some add an Air Safe hitch to soften the connection.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
With a 1 ton TV and that trailer you don't need weight distribution as much as you need sway control.

I would suggest you look at the Andersen system. Now that will immediately call for a negative reaction from many diehards but that will more than meet you needs at a lesser cost and improved utilization.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I agree with Howie. I use an Andersen on my 26' Argosy with a Tundra. It works fine.
The 1 ton will be a hard enough ride for the trailer without adding a WD system, making it ride even stiffer.
I don't know if Andersen makes anything that will work with an Air Ride system. That would be the best of both worlds.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
take a test drive

A 6000 lb trailer with 800 lbs of tongue weight has got to be way below the specs of your 1-ton truck.

Why not just hook up the trailer and take a drive, then buy something based on what you learn?

800lbs of tongue weight should take the harshness out of the ride and make sway a non-issue for a test drive.

WD bars will take weight off that already hefty rear suspension making it ride harsher.

If it handles and rides well get some anti-sway if you think you want some extra insurance over the truck's electronic sway control.

If it rides well but squats too much you could put a simple WD/sway combo like the Reese dual cam on with light bars.
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
With a 1 ton TV and that trailer you don't need weight distribution as much as you need sway control.

I would suggest you look at the Andersen system. Now that will immediately call for a negative reaction from many diehards but that will more than meet you needs at a lesser cost and improved utilization.
No need to be all loaded for bear :-)

I'm a ProPride user and I agree with your recommendation for this setup. You MIGHT pick a few hundred # off the front axle and I'd guess (though the OP should check the truck's manual) it only wants 50% of that (if any) restored.

Andersen is probably a very good, cost effective option for this setup. Just double check the coupler and be sure it's compatible.

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Plan to replace the coupler as part of the installation.

Do it right from the get go.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:02 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seguin , Texas
Am I expecting too much of the dealership to understand this? I've spoken with the salesman, parts manager and service manager and they have all said that with the 1 Ton I need the Equal-i-zer E4. Asked about the stiffness of the TV suspension and they say it doesn't matter.....

Old 08-18-2014, 03:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You have a choice here. You can go with a dealer that has a product to sell and almost no knowledge of what that product does or evaluate the free advice here from users of different products.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:20 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seguin , Texas
Howie,

Agreed that's why I'm asking here....

It just surprises me that a dealership that is setting up hitches every day for trailer deliveries does not understand the issue. They're acting like one size fits all and that ain't so

Old 08-18-2014, 03:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
To set up the average WD hitch it can take several hours. No dealer is going to commit that amount of time to the task. I am constantly coming across individuals that are driving with systems that are completely set up wrong or grossly oversized.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:32 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback1 View Post
Howie,

It just surprises me that a dealership that is setting up hitches every day for trailer deliveries does not understand the issue. They're acting like one size fits all and that ain't so
I was having a pleasant conversation with a guy at the campground. I was explaining how well our car towed the Airstream and it was partly to do with how well the Airstream's tow. His view was that all trailer tow the same. It seems that many RV dealers have the same mentality.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:40 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile wd hitch

Quote:
To set up the average WD hitch it can take several hours. No dealer is going to commit that amount of time to the task. I am constantly coming across individuals that are driving with systems that are completely set up wrong or grossly oversized.
The original Reese dual cam takes longer to bolt on trailer [10 minutes tops] than to setup, as the original has saddles on bars and bars ride on snap ups. The original dual cam did not use threaded parts with nut to adjust, these are in my opinion weak points subject to break. Reese modified with this feature. Some times you can find old style snap ups ebay or want ads. They simply bolt onto A frame seat bars into snap ups tighten that is it after adjusting ball head,. they are not only wd but sway control with out extra friction bars. I have used this set up since Reese started manufacture it, never a problem, no wrenches to hook up no extreme wgt. no trying to lift as with the 3 expensive hitches & friction pads to wear plus lots less money. I will get arguments on this but after many years I'll keep my Reese. If it aint broke leave it alone
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:40 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback1 View Post
Howie,

Yup........ N times N permutations here and just as many opinions about Airstream dealers.

Your 1 ton truck and the heavy tongue weight of the Airstream makes it stable on its own. Anything will just improve on that but not as much as on a lighter weight combo.

Most folks are going to defend their hitch choice even though many of the others would have worked just as well.

Our Airstream hitch was recommended and set up by the dealer in about an hour. They only sold Reese products and I figured if they do enough they probably can do it fast. It works as it should and is setup today same as when I left the lot.

I did not question them because I really did not care too much about it. I just really do not think the hitch choice is all that crucial with the newer Airstreams' heavy tongue weights and low-slung axles - even less so with a 1 ton truck.

I have towed hundreds of TV/trailer combos in my life for work and personal use. The majority of them would have been considered dangerous by the conventional wisdom here. Not one (until our Airstream) had WD or anti-sway. I just drove appropriately.

So yes trust the dealer or other shop, or, figure it out yourself. There is a wealth of wisdom here and just as many opinions and product bias.

If it were me I would hook it up and drive it first just to see how the rig handles. Your 1 ton truck gives you that advantage and data point that many people do not have.
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:41 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
My dealer did. He adjusted the hitch until it was right on target.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
A reason some dealers sell Equal-I-Zer brand hitches is because they are very easy to install and adjust, but the w.d. bars are extremely stiff. They put one on my new Airstream and I felt it was too rough on the Airstream A-frame when going across steep approaches.

I also used the previously recommended Andersen hitch and found it a poorly designed experiment fraught with problems, not to mention the need to cut off and replace your Airstream coupler and even less flexibility (only two plastic bushings to absorb vertical movement on the coupler) than the Equal-I-Zer.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:00 PM   #18
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Our 1999 34' has been towed all over with the original Equi-li-zer.., WD bars and a "linear brake"/sway control.

Towing home on our return from purchase, it seemed to tow like all other trailers... except increasing the pressure on the 'sway control' improved the desire to 'sway'...a bit.

After a couple of pulls, I bit the big hype and ordered the ProPride... I thought.. "this is really silly... this has to be one of those things that only work in smaller scale."...

Wrong.

Now, I realize we only have a 2500HD Silverado... but, when I hooked up that first time and towed.... it WAS DIFFERENT to tow.

The next weekend with 3 granddaughters aboard, returning from San Marcos, we were run onto the shoulder of the road and the AS tucked in behind the truck with no complaints!!! No shimmy, no shake... no twitch.. just stuck aligned behind the truck...

There is no way the system would have PERFORMED the way it did without the ProPride.. it clearly made the maneuver much safer...

There have been some really gusty trips, like last weekend to and from Aransas Pass... the whole rig moves when the wind hits it... the AS does not wiggle/sway... and you can easily keep things running true and straight...

During this recent trip, I had to maneuver around a Hog carcass that 'exploded' while trying to cross the highway... I had to 'dodge' road alligators (tread shed from 18 wheeler retreads... etc... I had ZERO concern for the stern of the AS swinging into oncoming traffic... it followed really well behind...

Yes, there is some movement... but you never get the 'wagging' feeling like you did with the EQ system... or without EQ and/or WD bars..

YMMV, but for me, the PP has paid for itself. If you ever want to tow to 'get the feel', just send me a PM and we will arrange.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote