Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2013 23' International
Stanhope , New Jersey
Surviving Sandy

Well, its been no picnic living here in Jersey for the past week or so.
Thank god for our Airstream!
No power, water, heat etc in the house for over a week.
We moved into the AS and are living comfortably on a generator
and now snow....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo5.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	357.0 KB
ID:	172277  

WBCCI # 6371
AIR # 65179
NJStreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It's been dreadful, just watching it all from out here.

Feel so badly for all of you. Glad you have your AS and some small bit of comfort.

Life goes on. Keep your spirits up and know that others care.

Maggie
Old 11-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Welcome from the hurricane gulf!!

And be careful.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJStreamers
Well, its been no picnic living here in Jersey for the past week or so.
Thank god for our Airstream!
No power, water, heat etc in the house for over a week.
We moved into the AS and are living comfortably on a generator
and now snow....
I feel so badly for all of you. I am a Maryland native and travel to Cape May every year. Never seen anything like what you have been through. Wishing you all the best! We are driving to NJ at the end of next week to pick up our new AS at Colonial.getting nervous about the trip with all of your weather!!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
If temps stay below freezing you may want to drain your house water lines! It would suck to have them freeze on top of everything else. Any word on when power will be restored? Glad you have your airstream!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:39 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Tropical Storm Sandy, America's first "Tropical Blizzard!"

I spent four years as a kid living in the icebox of northern Maine, 17 years in tornado alley in southwest Oklahoma, and 31 years in hurricane-magnet New Orleans. I've dealt with everything you've had to deal with. But not all at once like you have! If you can endure with a positive attitude with all you've gone through, you're a better man than I am. Even if you're a woman, you're still a better man than I am…
Old 11-08-2012, 07:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
I hope you are able to get supplies.
Bless you!
Old 11-08-2012, 07:15 AM   #8
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
If you're worried about your house water lines freezing leave a slight drip in the faucets. It will help to avoid freezing so long as you don't get a deep freeze. The water moving through the pipes will help to avoid the lines from freezing. Draining house lines is not quite as easy as doing it in an Airstream ( or other ).

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
My 12 year old grandson in hard-hit Ocean County N.J. Kids can still have a little fun. Sal
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0682.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	302.7 KB
ID:	172305  
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
Mobile , Alabama
I'm so sorry y'all are having to deal with this dreadful weather. Living on the Gulf Coast, I feel your pain. But, we experience hurricanes and hot weather, not cold with snow. My brother, a catastrophic adjuster, is on his way to Long Island. I'm sure he will be there for a very long time. I have been praying for the victims of this catastrophe and will continue to do so in the days ahead.
WBCCI #10360
Member Southeastern Camping Unit
Bettye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
The eastern swamps , North Carolina
Thumbs down Sandy

NJStreamers,Please stay safe!
Thank God your airstream was spared.
Make sure your furnace vent stays above the snowline. Having lived in the coastal south for many years and through too many Hurricanes, I definitely feel for you guys. Hang in there, because this storm was so big this recovery will be a long one. Our thoughts and prayers are with New Jersey, and all the other affected states.
Wishing the very best of outcomes for all the hurt members of our Airstream family.
Love. Limey Rich

P.S. This might be a good time to challenge all other Airstreamers unaffected by disaster to donate $100.00 or more to disaster relief. We can probably afford it more than most!
LimeyRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
15 days and...

I finally got my power restored to my house. On Sunday JCP and L declared that 99% of it's customers had been restored, luck me to be the last 1%! I want to thank all the hard working linemen that got the state back and running, HOWEVER I want to let people know that, in my opinion JCP&L's customer sevice is TERRIBLE! On Sunday, when I heard 99% were back in service I began to call the out-line at JCP&L to find out when my house wires would be fixed, the answer was, over and over again, we do not know, we do not have contact with the linemen on the roads, ect, ect. I can understand the first days and week, but when they were down to the last the still had a very poor grasp on the situation. Two times there were men to my house to see the damage, they saw it was a simple splice, and said help is coming, which it never did. I finnally had enough today and filed a complaint with the NJ public board of utilities! I got power back in less than 2.5 hours. I have never gone thought this before, and hope never to have again. I find it amazing a company of this importance is ran so hap-hazzardly. Now need a vacation in the Airstream to re-coop! John
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Glad you made it back to the 21st? century. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Here we were lucky. Power was out for a week, lots of trees down, but only very minor damage. We have a generator for our house and I wired our Honda 2000 to a neighbor's furnace so they had heat.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
We lived in our Globetrotter for several weeks after Katrina but we did not have to deal with the cold. My thoughts are with you and everyone suffering in your area.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #16

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparjohn View Post
I finally got my power restored to my house. On Sunday JCP and L declared that 99% of it's customers had been restored, luck me to be the last 1%! I want to thank all the hard working linemen that got the state back and running, HOWEVER I want to let people know that, in my opinion JCP&L's customer sevice is TERRIBLE! On Sunday, when I heard 99% were back in service I began to call the out-line at JCP&L to find out when my house wires would be fixed, the answer was, over and over again, we do not know, we do not have contact with the linemen on the roads, ect, ect. I can understand the first days and week, but when they were down to the last the still had a very poor grasp on the situation. Two times there were men to my house to see the damage, they saw it was a simple splice, and said help is coming, which it never did. I finnally had enough today and filed a complaint with the NJ public board of utilities! I got power back in less than 2.5 hours. I have never gone thought this before, and hope never to have again. I find it amazing a company of this importance is ran so hap-hazzardly. Now need a vacation in the Airstream to re-coop! John
I might think differently if the shoe was on the other foot but there are a lot of things going on that don't make this a simple power out situation. One thing is the fact that most utilities prioritize their power restoration situations (outside of the high priority sites, hospitals, public safety etc) to those restorations that bring the highest number of customers back. So if you are sitting with a power line down on your property and if it's only feeding you, you are going to be on the lowest priority. Secondly in a catastrophic situation, there are a lot of utilities who sent work crews up. I know that our local utility here in St. Louis sent work crews up. I'm sure that communications are not as good with these crews as with the normal labor force. The bottom line is that utilities during crisis time are doing the best they can with the resources they have and the conditions they are working under.

Like anything else the guys doing the work thought they could get you back quickly, but someone else is pulling their chain. There are a lot of well meaning workers out there who want to give you some positive news. Unfortunately they are not controlling the work pool or assignments. What they should be telling you that the timing of the repair is out of their hands, but human nature wants to give you some positive news. Obviously your call was the squeaky wheel and someone probably got rerouted to take care of you.

We had a bad ice storm a few years back and probably had 500,000 folks out of power in our area. Our utility had an automated system that gave out estimates of power being restored. I know my son took almost a week for his to come back on. The automated system was useless giving out restoration information. Folks complained to the PSC but nothing really came out of it.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:16 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2013 23' International
Stanhope , New Jersey
Back to Normal

Well, we had our power restored on Sunday as well.
Glad this one seems to be behind us, the weather part anyway.
I am in the parking lot of Colonial Airstream waiting for the service guys to do my winter put-away job.
This is the end of our first season camping and as Airstream owners.
I never thought that my final camping of the season would be during a "Super Storm" but thank god we had the Airstream.
Please keep the people of our area in your thoughts as many were not as fortunate as my family was, lots of rebuilding to do.
I'm off to watch the mechanics now so next year I can do this anit-freeze thing myself!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	as.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	172725  

WBCCI # 6371
AIR # 65179
NJStreamers is offline   Reply With Quote