Old 06-26-2019, 07:52 AM   #1

Honeoye Falls , NY
Suggestion for sleeping 4

My family is considering an Airstream for our first RV. However, we're having trouble determining which model will fit our sleeping capacity needs. Primarily it'll be me, my wife, and our two medium sized dogs, but we will occasionally want to sleep 4 adults comfortably. We have been eyeing something like the Bambi or Sport 22 FB as it states that it can sleep 4, but it looks more like 4 if two are kids or 3 adults. The fold down dinnette just doesn't look like enough room for 4 adults.

So, I'm curious to hear from those with hands on experience. If I want to comfortably sleep 4 adults, what is the minimum model and floor plan that I should be looking at?

wxm8562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:19 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Chicago area , Illinois
I’d interpret the number of people an Airstream model can sleep the same way that you interpret the number of people a tent can sleep. It’s possible to sleep 6 in my 27’ Globetrotter in the same way it’s possible to pack for a month-long business trip in a handbag. Can be done but depending on your comfort level, perhaps not the best way to read those numbers. But I stress—this depends on your comfort level.

I’m traveling with 2 kids for 80 days. My wife joins us from time to time, making 4 folks total. Our 27’ is very comfortable for us. I know others, though, who think a 27’ is barely enough space for two adults, and others who make it work with much smaller trailers.

I’d say 25’ is a good starting point for 4 people.

My strong advice though is to use the brochures to get an idea for the different model lines. Each model line has different aesthetics and some have enhanced or more spartan feature sets, but they are more or less the same trailer. Then put the brochures down and go look at them in person. You won’t make this decision well on marketing material alone.

nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Just my opinion

A 22 footer is too small for 4 adults. Maybe if it's family or really close friends

#1 Personally I'd be creeped out.

#2 People getting up to use the bathroom would be sleep disruptive.

#3 People waking early would be sleep disruptive

#4 Each person can breathe out or sweat up to a gallon a night. It gets dank

#5 Snoring, passing wind etc

You could get a larger model with a door on the " master" bedroom ( $$$$$). You could get a tent as a spare bedroom. My tow vehicle is a van, and I use that as a spare bedroom.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxm8562 View Post
My family is considering an Airstream for our first RV. However, we're having trouble determining which model will fit our sleeping capacity needs. Primarily it'll be me, my wife, and our two medium sized dogs, but we will occasionally want to sleep 4 adults comfortably. We have been eyeing something like the Bambi or Sport 22 FB as it states that it can sleep 4, but it looks more like 4 if two are kids or 3 adults. The fold down dinnette just doesn't look like enough room for 4 adults.

So, I'm curious to hear from those with hands on experience. If I want to comfortably sleep 4 adults, what is the minimum model and floor plan that I should be looking at?

Welcome to the forum!

Heed the good advice here. But be sure and check out the layouts in person to ensure it's right for you and your family. Then enjoy!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:31 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Huntington , New York
The short answer is that if you used to use a tent for the family than any Airstream will serve your purposes more comfortably. If you want to know the minimum size we would buy to accommodate 4 adults for week-long boon docking trips assuming one was a couple, then the 25' is the minimum I'd want to spend money on.

We did a 5-week cross country trip with two parents and two college age young adults in a 25FB and it was a comfortable fit. We have made multiple trips of a week or more at a time with this number of people. The two large dogs make themselves comfortable on the floor; one at the end of the bed and the other in front of the refrigerator. The benefit of the 25FB with the separate shower/toilet is that the two sliding temporary doors allow independent use by people at either end of the trailer while maintaining privacy for all. VERY useful.

That said, the accordion sliding doors don't hold-up well when the dogs decide to walk under them to transit between the front and rear of the trailer. After breaking both doors by ripping the fabric, we've gone the route of hanging curtains in place of the doors on the sliding track.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:05 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Sleeping 4 adults

Check out the FC 26U Rear Bad Twin floorplan. The rear twin bed set up makes for a spacious sleeping/dressing area. Nice storage also. The U shaped dining area in the front of the trailer converts to a decent size bed. The bathroom is a one piece design (shower, commode, sink in one room) allowing for nice privacy.

Anything less than a 25 would be to small for 4 adults, IMHO. Good luck with your choice. Happy travels.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:41 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
London , Ontario
Capacity-wise, our 30' Classic has the following limits:
  • party for 12
  • dinner for 8
  • sleeps 2
We have invited friends along a couple times for weekend getaways, and they sleep on the couch. If it was me, I think a couple nights there would be tops.
WBCCI #1783, Region 2, Ontario Canada Unit
Brawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:55 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
sammamish , wa
22FB is not great for 4

we have a 22 sport. it is great for 2 people, pets ok. We have had one of our kids at a time join us and it is doable. 4 people no way. first the extra bed is not a great size for 2 adults. yes you could but it would not be comfortable. second, with 2 we joke about it being a 1 butt kitchen. there is a bit of a dance to move around. with 3 that dance is more painful. with 4, not very fun. third, with 2 there is space for someone to go to be earlier or wake up earlier. with the extra bed taken there is much less flexibility to manage different time clocks.

so while yes you could, it would be tiring after a while.
TikiRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Woodinville , Washington
We bought our AS in 2016. In the process, like yourself, I spoke with dozens of AS dealers and other personnel and found one fellow, in AZ, who had decades of AS experience, as a dealer, salesman, owner and user of multiple ASs, etc. I was quite impressed with his AS experience. I finally just asked him, "Denny, you know my circumstances, what model should I get?" Somewhat to my surprise, he asked, "Do you and your sweetie sleep together or separately?" I said, "Together." He responded, "So, if you sleep together, get an AS 27 queen --- if you sleep apart, get an AS 25 twin." The 27 queen has a walk-around bed that is easy to make, that each person can get out of in the middle of the night without having to crawl over the other, and that you don't hit your head on the overhead cabinet when you get up. The 25 twin has more storage and is slightly more maneuverable. Both of them have room to sleep two more in a crunch. We, my sweetie and I and our 150 lb Great Dane, now have over 35K miles on our 27, and if I had to do it all over again, I'd buy the same trailer. We've considered from time to time getting a 30 or even a 33 and continue to believe that at least for us, they're both "Just too much."
"BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
WL7Z --- NAUI --- WSBA
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:59 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Glen Allen , Virginia
Nailed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikiRoom View Post
we have a 22 sport. it is great for 2 people, pets ok. We have had one of our kids at a time join us and it is doable. 4 people no way. first the extra bed is not a great size for 2 adults. yes you could but it would not be comfortable. second, with 2 we joke about it being a 1 butt kitchen. there is a bit of a dance to move around. with 3 that dance is more painful. with 4, not very fun. third, with 2 there is space for someone to go to be earlier or wake up earlier. with the extra bed taken there is much less flexibility to manage different time clocks.

so while yes you could, it would be tiring after a while.
This post nails it for me. We have a 22ft Sport, and the dinette bed will barely accommodate a full size adult, and not for very long. The wife and I enjoy our 22ft butt dance...by ourselves...
DJBiggieSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:34 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Flagstaff , AZ
6 person tent and 2 cots

My solution to extra sleep over guests is a 6 person tent and two cots with and extra large Therm-A-Rest pad.

We have a 25' FB International with queen size bed. We have slept as many as 4 adults and one child in the trailer but it gets a little crowded. I find the daily routine of making the bed at night and reassembling the table in the morning to be a pain. Also the extra stuff folks bring with them is a challenge to keep out of the way and organized. Especially when the guests are unorganized to begin with.

So I give them their own private bedroom and place to store their gear that is out of the way. Put a throw rug on the floor and a small folding table between the beds and you have a room as cozy as any hotel. The cots I have are called Disco-O-Bunks and can be found on Amazon. I find this arrangement to be as comfortable as a regular bed and have slept in the tent many times myself.
RT66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:37 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT66 View Post
My solution to extra sleep over guests is a 6 person tent and two cots with and extra large Therm-A-Rest pad.

We have a 25' FB International with queen size bed. We have slept as many as 4 adults and one child in the trailer but it gets a little crowded. I find the daily routine of making the bed at night and reassembling the table in the morning to be a pain. Also the extra stuff folks bring with them is a challenge to keep out of the way and organized. Especially when the guests are unorganized to begin with.

So I give them their own private bedroom and place to store their gear that is out of the way. Put a throw rug on the floor and a small folding table between the beds and you have a room as cozy as any hotel. The cots I have are called Disco-O-Bunks and can be found on Amazon. I find this arrangement to be as comfortable as a regular bed and have slept in the tent many times myself.

Herein lies the bigger question. What to do with all the stuff for accommodating guests? We started with a 31’ and had 3 young children. All worked out very well. Later downsized to a 29’ and still all worked exceptionally well. Later it became only 2 of us we went even smaller to the 25 which works out better than we ever thought when there are only 2 of us sleeping inside. However we have had 4-5 sleep inside comfortably for an overnight or few. The headache is setting up/breaking down every time. First you need to roll up and store the extra bedding, padding, pillows, sheets or sleeping bags. The “spare” beds are not the least bit comfortable without a pad or topper which needs to be stored in the truck or in the guests vehicle if that’s an option. Then the extra guests have luggage or at least a backpack that also needs a home if you want to use the galley, bathroom or dining table in the Airstream. It can be done but as suggested a large tent (if weather is bearable) with cots, fan and whatever creature comforts your guests would like works best.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:28 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
Nope, and. . . .

We have 20' that is supposed to sleep 3 adults or 4 if two are children. The main bed is listed as a "queen." It's not actually a queen because it's not 60 x 80 inches, and the person next to the window has to crawl over the other person to get up in the middle of the night. I woudn't even call that bed a double. So my (taller) husband sleeps in the "big" bed with one small dog and I make up the dinning area as a bed for me and the other small dog. Even that is "cozy." Also, making up the bed for me every night is a PIA.

My advice - measure the actual beds, go home and chart out those measurements on your regular beds. That will give you a good idea whether it will work for you.
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:23 PM   #14
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
For a Bambi, you might be able to make the dinette work. Try one. For the 22S, I think the dinette is a no go. It's an excellent trailer for two, but the four needs a tent and cots.

If you have a shorty, a cot supported by the dinette seat backs might work. Folks with kids have done that.

The 27, 26U, and 25 all have space with which to work. A pickup topper, a van, or a tent all add additional space. The 8.5ft wide coaches are an advantage. Note, the 22S is a 7.5ft wide solution.

Another idea - there are a lot of RV parks that have cabins, tent spaces and club room accommodations. It might be better for you to go with a two place coach and use an alternate solution for the added folks. The vehicle travel space for four people and two dogs may be even more important to resolve.

Good luck with your search. Pat

PKI is offline   Reply With Quote