Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2006, 05:44 PM   #1
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Subwoofer installed and got a free McDonald's wrapper....

Just bought a Bazooka STA-6100 powered subwoofer since it looked like Airstream did all the pre-wiring. They did, and it was very painless to connect (outside of the DC wires being reversed...black positve, white neg). It was a bit bigger than the sofa arm storage, so I opened the front panel under the sofa where the battery bypass gear was located. There are several areas around the coach that have openings in the interior skin that allow wiring to pass through to the inside. I was shocked that in the front access opening, some clown on the line decided to finish his McDonald's Egg McMuffin while building my Safari, ball up the wrapper an stuff it in the opening where power cables (DC) entered the coach from the front.

Maybe I'm being petty, but that really, truely ticked me off. I know we all find sawdust, screws, etc. Heck I even found some of the routed out piece of sheet metal and uninstalled wires behind the counter areas, but a frickin McDonald's wrapper.....

At any rate the sub sounds great. I'm thinking of adding a LCD to the Airstream, but I don't know where the video cables are. They weren't in the box that was in the roof locker above the dinette. I thought I read someone here say that the units were prewired for the LCD TVs similar to how the sub was. I can see another 2 sets of RCA jacks behind the radio FWIW.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 06:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
On the CCD our factory installed sub was under the street side "L" part of the couch. Behind and to the right of the power units. Removing the cushions and lifting a board provided access. We didn't order the TV gear in the CCD but when I was disconnecting our XM direct module this morning from the stereo (for transfer to the new Safari SE) the pre-wired TV cables were coiled up and ready. They came out the same inner skin access hole that the sub woofer wires went through. No burger wrappers.
-Ken
Old 05-13-2006, 07:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Eric,

You wouldn't believe some of the stuff I have seen while working on RV's. A food wrapper is nothing. I've seen cigarette butts with obvious burn marks in the area that it was found, coffee cups, tools and a host of other 'stuff' that is not appropriate to post on this forum. Some line workers have no pride or conscience, but that is obvious from the way a lot of RV's come off the factory line!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 08:56 PM   #4
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
but a frickin McDonald's wrapper.....
Probably the lout who put it there isn't working for Thor any longer.
He's probably working at...
Mcdonalds
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 07:38 AM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Eric,

You wouldn't believe some of the stuff I have seen while working on RV's. A food wrapper is nothing. I've seen cigarette butts with obvious burn marks in the area that it was found, coffee cups, tools and a host of other 'stuff' that is not appropriate to post on this forum. Some line workers have no pride or conscience, but that is obvious from the way a lot of RV's come off the factory line!!
Yea, I agree, what can be left behind can be worse. I suppose I wouldn't have been as upset if say it were just back there, but the my take is if the jerk took the time to ball it up and cram it into the inner skin opening, that person could have easily just left it on the floor for normal clean up to take place. So to me it almost seems malicious and or stupid....I mean if you are going to be lazy, be lazy, but this took far more effort and time than just dropping the wrapper. I'd have been happy to find a tool, but to date, I've found about 24 screws, one small loom of wires with a rubber band (about 6 feet), two pieces of routed out alum (from when they routed out holes in the shell for outlets, lights, fridge opening, etc), sawdust everywhere (and not just in the non-living areas), metal shavings everywhere (and not just in the non-living areas) and yesterday this wrapper. I've weighed all the junk (minus this wrapper) and to date I've found about 8lbs of junk loosely floating around the Airstream. Some of the things I can understand, while others are just lazy building (no wonder the QC has had issues), but yesterday just took the cake. What are these folks thinking?
Old 05-14-2006, 07:42 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Reminds me of the story my uncle, a GM supervisor told us, back in the 70's. Someone had put a glass bottle with a note inside the fender of a Caddy. The note said, "I hope it took you a long time to find the rattle, you rich *censored*!".
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 08:42 AM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Glad to see some things never change I have found pounds of aluminum shavings inside the walls on mine, pop rivet pins galore, in one of the wall sections was a handfull of the buck rivets...unused and I am only half way to the back. I do commercial roofing and you wouldn't believe the stuff we find buried inside roof systems. We try and stay on top of our crews to keep stuff picked up. For some reason the mentality is that "it is easier to hide it where I am working than to place it in a trash container." We keep plenty of trash containers on our job sites, we clean up at the end of everyday and still find scraps in odd places on the walkthru.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 11:51 AM   #8
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
eric

just wait until you drop the belly pan sometime to work on the tank(s)...

i swear they just swept everything down the hole in the floor!

john
Old 05-14-2006, 06:46 PM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
eric

just wait until you drop the belly pan sometime to work on the tank(s)...

i swear they just swept everything down the hole in the floor!

john

At least that I could understand....to a point.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:16 PM   #10
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
I found the same, usual junk in my '73. Rivets, scraps of aluminum, metal shavings, even a used/empty tube of Vulkem shoved B/W the wheel well and outer wall.

I love to brag about all of my Fords (5 and counting). The 1998 WIndstar came from the Canadian factory with a workman's glove bolted to the floor between the driver's seat floor rails and the carpet. It was so obvious, that it couldn't possibly have been missed by the QC people. I didn't notice it until a few weeks after we bought the car and lifted the floor mats to vacuum.

I guess shoddy workmanship knows no particular model, manufacturer or facility. Having said all of that, you would expect that folks who build vehicles as expensve as an Airstream would take a little more pride in their workmanship. We all like to see the big silver tubes as American icons and so on. I guess the assembly line guys just see a paycheck. That's a sad thing. It's the sort of thing that will sink a company in a very short time.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote