Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2011, 09:14 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Well...if it really is holes in the head, it must be heredity and contagious. My dad bought his first trailer when I was 12 years old, had me towing it when I was 15, and I bought my first one when I was 26.
I love this disease!
dzn, hey! That's not fair. You had a privileged background.

I was driving a farm tractor at 15. Unfortunately, John Deere does not make travel trailers.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:15 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
dzn, hey! That's not fair. You had a privileged background.

I was driving a farm tractor at 15. Unfortunately, John Deere does not make travel trailers.
I've seen some with "awnings" though!
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:16 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
I've seen some with "awnings" though!
Old 08-29-2011, 09:18 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
But that was before cabs, air conditioned cabs with stereos, TVs, and GPS autopilot!
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:25 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
But that was before cabs, air conditioned cabs with stereos, TVs, and GPS autopilot!
Those privileged backgrounds again.

The John Deere had a seat, four tires, an engine and PTO. But I thought I was really sumthin'. Queen of the sodbusters!
Old 08-29-2011, 09:30 PM   #26
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Quote:
tpi, I've decided to pack only protein shakes and not take any food on this trip so I don't have to worry about blowing myself up trying to light the oven or range. Not only will it prevent the campground from burning down, but I'll lose weight.

It's a win-win situation.

But thanks for the tip. "Stoves" etc. will be dealt with on trip #2....if I make it to trip #2.
Yes just the one thing burning the stove for a minute before lighting water heater or gas fridge is it purges air out of the gas line and makes lighting these appliances faster.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:59 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Newbies Guide

Fly,

I found a great digital book called "The Newbies Guide To Airstreaming" by Rich Luer. Very entertaining read and a lot of interesting information. I highly recommend downloading a copy or getting a hardcopy from a local bookstore. Just remember it isn't rocket science, relax and have fun.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:41 PM   #28

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
tpi, I've decided to pack only protein shakes and not take any food on this trip so I don't have to worry about blowing myself up trying to light the oven or range. Not only will it prevent the campground from burning down, but I'll lose weight.

It's a win-win situation.

But thanks for the tip. "Stoves" etc. will be dealt with on trip #2....if I make it to trip #2.
Unless you've used only electric stoves all your life, the stove is quite convention in its operation. I'm guessing your newfangled model might even have electric ignition, but it'll still light with a match or lighter even so. The first time I lit the gas for the 'fridge was the only time I had to read the directions 2x to be sure what I was about to do, and if I had one as new as yours it would be even easier, though perhaps require a bit more trust in technology.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:54 AM   #29
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
FAN,

On the h2o heater...have the dealer show you the procedure for Winterizing. Important to have the by-pass valves in the "use" mode before lighting.

Ask me how I know....1st AS, 1st Winter, 1st Spring, 1st leak.

Bob
Old 08-30-2011, 03:01 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
fly, PLEASE tell me that trip #1 or trip #2 will bring you down the central Oregon coast? I'd love to have you visit. Your big rig would never make it into my mountain hidey-hole of a driveway but there are plenty of places to park it at the foot of the hill & I have a feeling that we would have a grand old time.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:55 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott J-24 View Post
Fly,

I found a great digital book called "The Newbies Guide To Airstreaming" by Rich Luer. Very entertaining read and a lot of interesting information. I highly recommend downloading a copy or getting a hardcopy from a local bookstore. Just remember it isn't rocket science, relax and have fun.
Scott, I think I need that book! Thanks for the lead.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
FAN,

On the h2o heater...have the dealer show you the procedure for Winterizing. Important to have the by-pass valves in the "use" mode before lighting.

Ask me how I know....1st AS, 1st Winter, 1st Spring, 1st leak.

Bob
Robert, thanks for that anti-leak tip!
Old 08-30-2011, 07:59 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkid View Post
fly, PLEASE tell me that trip #1 or trip #2 will bring you down the central Oregon coast? I'd love to have you visit. Your big rig would never make it into my mountain hidey-hole of a driveway but there are plenty of places to park it at the foot of the hill & I have a feeling that we would have a grand old time.
summer, I'll visit you on one condition: you are a hot-water expert.

Kidding.

aaaah.....the smell of salt in the air....would love to take a spin down that beautiful coast some day. Thank-you for the invite; I will look you up if I make the trip.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:03 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
I will add my most recent newbie experience, and qualify it by telling you that this is our second year of owning a Sport 22. You would think I would have figured out this one by now, but no....

My wife and I recently brought our AS home from storage and joyfully parked it in our NEW third driveway, which has a water spigot and an electrical hookup. I was very excited that we would be able to "prep and load" over a few days rather than right before we hook up and go!

I had been having trouble with batteries not holding their charge while in storage, so I knew that having it hooked up for a few days would get them up to max capacity before we left. We also had a four hour drive to our boondocking site, so charging from the vehicle on the way should give us all the juice we needed for our four day stay.

When we finally hit the road, I switched the fridge to battery power and away we went! Upon arriving at our destination, and creeping down an old bumpy logging road for a mile, we set up camp and poured a celebratory cocktail!

As my wife stepped out of the trailer, she asked me what the red flashing light on the fridge meant. We very quickly discovered that the batteries were almost completely dead!

After returning to the nearby (220 miles away) Airstream dealer, he explained to us that the battery switch must be in the ON position for the batteries to take a charge.

We are now the proud owners of a Honda 2000i generator for our future boondocking trips!
Old 09-02-2011, 07:17 AM   #35
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Hibby,

Sounds a lot like us with our first, a 63 Safari. Thought we were all set 'til we got to our 3day camp with dead battery. Next purchase...1000w Yamaha.

Bob
Old 09-02-2011, 08:36 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:

Oh lordy, the awning. I have decided to not even try to get that down until trip #3. If it's raining and I still want to sit outside, I'll just sit there holding my umbrella over the head. The head with the holes in it, that is.

Fly, setting up awnings can be tricky at first but the zip dee is much easier than many others. I am not particularly dull and I can figure out most things by simply looking or reading but my first awning was a different story. My neighbor explained it in record time and I was on my way.

I ran across some videos that explained many things Airstream. Here is one about setting up the awning. Hope this helps.

aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
[QUOTE=aftermath;1040888]
I ran across some videos that explained many things Airstream. Here is one about setting up the awning. Hope this helps. QUOTE]

Thanks for posting the video. I learned something, an easier way, even though I have been putting my ZipDee up and down for a long time!
Old 09-06-2011, 11:28 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibby View Post
I will add my most recent newbie experience, and qualify it by telling you that this is our second year of owning a Sport 22. You would think I would have figured out this one by now, but no....

My wife and I recently brought our AS home from storage and joyfully parked it in our NEW third driveway, which has a water spigot and an electrical hookup. I was very excited that we would be able to "prep and load" over a few days rather than right before we hook up and go!

I had been having trouble with batteries not holding their charge while in storage, so I knew that having it hooked up for a few days would get them up to max capacity before we left. We also had a four hour drive to our boondocking site, so charging from the vehicle on the way should give us all the juice we needed for our four day stay.

When we finally hit the road, I switched the fridge to battery power and away we went! Upon arriving at our destination, and creeping down an old bumpy logging road for a mile, we set up camp and poured a celebratory cocktail!

As my wife stepped out of the trailer, she asked me what the red flashing light on the fridge meant. We very quickly discovered that the batteries were almost completely dead!

After returning to the nearby (220 miles away) Airstream dealer, he explained to us that the battery switch must be in the ON position for the batteries to take a charge.

We are now the proud owners of a Honda 2000i generator for our future boondocking trips!
Hibby, I don't feel so bad now.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Hibby,

Sounds a lot like us with our first, a 63 Safari. Thought we were all set 'til we got to our 3day camp with dead battery. Next purchase...1000w Yamaha.

Bob
Robert C., I wonder if they have battery chargers for the human equivilent? After wading through that manual in anticipation of this week's shakedown cruise, I'm exhausted! Worse....I still can't figure some things out.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:31 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
Fly, setting up awnings can be tricky at first but the zip dee is much easier than many others. I am not particularly dull and I can figure out most things by simply looking or reading but my first awning was a different story. My neighbor explained it in record time and I was on my way.

I ran across some videos that explained many things Airstream. Here is one about setting up the awning. Hope this helps.

aftermath, the video makes it look easy...even for a dumb newbie like me. I will be brave, and tackle the awning this week.
Thanks for the link.