Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #41
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Robert C., I wonder if they have battery chargers for the human equivilent? After wading through that manual in anticipation of this week's shakedown cruise, I'm exhausted! Worse....I still can't figure some things out.

FAN,

I think they still do...but it may cause an
Old 09-06-2011, 12:15 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Robert, really? I'll have to phone-up Yamaha-ha and see if they can help me out.

Signed,
"Not-so-Stupid" after all.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #43
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Everybody makes mistakes. It is part of learning.

On our first long trip I drove out of our site and around the park when I saw someone running toward us with the foot for the jack. I had dragged it across the site leaving a nice furrow and then it fell off. It's good for farming it seems—until it falls off. The good thing was it fit better being bent outward at the top although I had to bang it with a hammer back into round. My wife thought I had destroyed our brand new trailer, but has recovered.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:28 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I've been thinking about which of my dumbest mistakes I wanted to reveal (I have had more than one person's share) and this is the one I chose.

The first Airstream I owned was parked about 4 hours from home for the fishing season, near the coast of NC. One Friday afternoon I took a half day of vacation from work so I could go fishing. After driving like mad man to get there early, I walked up the the trailer door feeling in my pocket for my keys that were left at home on top of the dresser. After more than 8 hours of driving back home and back to the trailer it was early in the morning before I crashed in the bed. I slept right through the fishing time the next morning.

That's not the end of the story, a few weeks later I left the keys at home again!!! This time I got acquainted with the local locksmith. Quite expensive on a Friday evening near midnight. That is the last time I forgot my keys.

Lesson learned: I ALWAYS keep a spare set of keys hidden in my tow vehicle. DW carries a set too. Also a few friends I travel with have door keys to my trailer.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:58 AM   #45
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Dumby....

It's always best when the dumbest thing, (damage), happens on the first trip.

On our first trip to our favorite and most familiar campground with our brand new 03 Classic. We had been there many times with our 63, very cocky and self assured after 18 Seasons. Sunday morning on our last day and we, for once, were ready to beat the crowd to the dump.
Now theres a one way wooden bridge on the road out, just before the Ranger station, and oh yes, with a slight turn on the approach.

DW was watching as I pulled out, and all of a sudden the arms started flailing like a wave off on the flight deck.

'Ya know something....the Classic is a bit wider than a 63 Safari, and the wooden bridge railing was now nicely placed on the streetside panel above the H2o access door. Already had a nice 2ft scratch and I was determined not to cause any more "learning scarz".

What to do? Well it was real early and no one else was around so of-course we started to disassemble the bridge....well only the railing really. We were making pretty good progress when the Ranger came out for his morning coffee and asked..."what the hell do you think your doing?"
"taking the railing off so I don't cause any more damage to our new AS" said I.

Now by this time a crowd was starting to gather and I did hear some snickers coming my way.
A line had started to form behind us and I thought things were going to get rather tense. But after an extensive conversation with the Ranger and some of the waiting fellow campers it was decided to proceed full speed ahead. We all pitched in, shared tools and discussed the best plan of action.

We had the new AS un-stuck and the bridge put back together in less than two hours.

And I was still first in line for the dump.

We still go back to the Campground and every once in awhile the Ranger or a fellow camper will say....."aren't you the ones who....."
"yes"

Bob
Old 09-07-2011, 06:54 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
Regarding the water heater, hook up city water or make sure that your fresh water tank has water and turn on the pump, then open a hot water faucet. If water comes out the water heater is full.

Bill
CAUTION. This is a new Airstream that almost assuredly has a Water Heater Bypass! Just having water come out of the faucet when the hot handle is turned on does not guarantee water in the Water Heater. The tank could be "bypassed". The owner will have to find the tank and bypass valves to check their position and change them to fill the Water Heater if the valves are currently in the "bypass" position". Hopefully the owners manual tells the location of these valves, because I am not familiar with that model.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:38 AM   #47
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Good catch, Joe. You're right on the money.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:42 PM   #48
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert cross View Post
fan,

on the h2o heater...have the dealer show you the procedure for winterizing. Important to have the by-pass valves in the "use" mode before lighting.

Ask me how i know....1st as, 1st winter, 1st spring, 1st leak.

Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly at night View Post
robert, thanks for that anti-leak tip!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66overlander View Post
caution. This is a new airstream that almost assuredly has a water heater bypass! Just having water come out of the faucet when the hot handle is turned on does not guarantee water in the water heater. The tank could be "bypassed". The owner will have to find the tank and bypass valves to check their position and change them to fill the water heater if the valves are currently in the "bypass" position". Hopefully the owners manual tells the location of these valves, because i am not familiar with that model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
good catch, joe. You're right on the money.

Pat
yep....
Old 09-14-2011, 06:21 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night

Scott, I think I need that book! Thanks for the lead.
2nd this suggestion. I've been through this book twice now. It's not so in depth that it's unreadable.
phbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:44 AM   #50
Rivet Master In Training

1965 22' Safari
Mount Airy , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Kevo Send a message via MSN to Kevo Send a message via Yahoo to Kevo
Good Reading !!
Kevo is offline   Reply With Quote