Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-29-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Store with stabilizers??

I have been storing my Stream for almost a year now off and on in the same spot. It rarely sits longer than 2 months. It is backed up in my driveway next to fence. I have not put the stabilizers down while storing. I can't get to the front left side because of the angle. So my questions are,...

Should I use my stabilizers to prevent rear or front sagging? Like stated I can't get to the front right no matter what. Just use three, or it doesn't matter.

I see them parked from Vintage to New w/o them down unless camping. Just say'n.

2010 25' International

Thank-you,
Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
I dunno. . . we never put our stabilizers down when storing. As far as "sag", weight on the frame is minimal in storage (assuming the tanks are dumped!) and the trailer is not subject to being bounced over bumpy roads.

As far as I know the only purpose of stabilizers is to keep the trailer from bouncing around on the suspension while camped.

That, and the lighter single-axles trailers can actually sit up on the rear bumper if too many people congregate aft of the axle.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:13 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Lucy is a 2005 Safari 25FB that has logged almost 70,000 miles and 770 nights of camping. When Lucy is not in a travel status, she is in our driveway in the alley behind our house. We have never put Lucy's stabilizers down other than when we are camping in her. We have not noticed any problems.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:43 PM   #4
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
I devised a simple set of 13" 2x4's that while backing into my parking spot (which is on cement), I place under the axle mounting plates and back up about two more inches. The trailer lifts about 1" which in my mind relieves the load off the axles substancially. I think it would take nearly 3 inches to lift the tire off the ground. Then I put the stabilizers down to where they just barely start to lift. I lock the two tandems together with the wheel locks... The trailer is now supported in 7 positions and feels as stable as a house when you walk inside. When its time to leave the jacks come up, hitch it up and pull forward while the blocks fall away. Is this necessary? probably not. Will it extend the life of my axles? probably not. Will my airstream last longer from the extra attention? probably not.. but it makes me feel better

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:02 PM   #5
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airslide View Post
I devised a simple set of 13" 2x4's that while backing into my parking spot (which is on cement), I place under the axle mounting plates and back up about two more inches. The trailer lifts about 1" which in my mind relieves the load off the axles substancially. I think it would take nearly 3 inches to lift the tire off the ground. Then I put the stabilizers down to where they just barely start to lift. I lock the two tandems together with the wheel locks... The trailer is now supported in 7 positions and feels as stable as a house when you walk inside. When its time to leave the jacks come up, hitch it up and pull forward while the blocks fall away. Is this necessary? probably not. Will it extend the life of my axles? probably not. Will my airstream last longer from the extra attention? probably not.. but it makes me feel better

Vinnie
Before I got into the second sentence I was thinking,...I'm on the way to Home Depot in the morning.....

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Right now, I would do this in wood. After my welding refresher class in April-June, I would do it in metal!
Old 12-29-2010, 11:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, stabilizers up when parked at home; I would only be able to do the street side if I did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 259.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	118229   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 260.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	118230  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I think I have put our stabilizers down twice since we bought our Airstream in 2005. I just told my wife she couldn't jump on the bed anymore, and that was that...
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:38 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I do put down my stabilizers during extended storage only when up on jack stands. This has nothing to do with frame sag....etc. Where I store it is next to a large corn field, so there is about 800 yards, or more, of NO wind break to the west.

Its probably fine on stands w/o stabilizers, but I'd hate to find holes in the belly due to falling off the stands. The stabilizers just add 4 more points of friction/stability in windy conditions.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:30 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post
Right now, I would do this in wood. After my welding refresher class in April-June, I would do it in metal!
After your welder refresher class in April-June, I might be calling you to come help me with my front-end frame-rot!
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:50 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I'd be happy to. Just need to freshen up my skills and get certified... ACC is good for that, and now Round Rock gets in-area tuition rates... (We've been paying the ACC taxes long enough!)
Old 12-30-2010, 09:25 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
I would never store with stabilizers down,with my luck,I`d have a tire go flat and crunch a stabilizer.If you are using jack stands,then I see no problem,unless it fell off the jack stands. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:12 PM   #13
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Stabilizers make such nice climbing structures for mice.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:56 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
Stabilizers make such nice climbing structures for mice.

Pat
Mice can jump 12" vertically. If there is an entry point anywhere under an AS, they'll find it. Like onto the sewer pipes and into the tank pans....from tires and axles into any number of gaps. On my AS there is no entry point any closer to the stabilizers than any other point of entry.

Sealing any possible points of entry is job one. When you finally get there, no more mice. Took me 2 seasons on my old SOB to get mouse free, then fine for 15 more years...no mice. This is the first winter with AS...so far no mice. In my climate, mice don't move much once the first long hard freeze occurs. They burrow in for the winter, and unless their nest is disturbed, they don't move around much, as far as relocation is concerned.

Just my observations from experience, for what it's worth.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:04 PM   #15

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride View Post
I would never store with stabilizers down,with my luck,I`d have a tire go flat and crunch a stabilizer.

My concern as well. I've seen this on a few SOB's parked long term. Slow tire leak = buckled stabilizer.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote