Old 02-04-2004, 10:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Anyone in the Chicagoland area using a storage facility? We're keeping ours at dad-in-law's place in Lake Geneva, but that deal will only be good until Springtime. Then we'll have to find something else.

I've called a few "Lock 'em Yerself" type places, but they all discourage or outright ban any work on the trailer. My dream situation is: something on the north side or north suburbs, indoors, and the ability to plug in a cyclo-polisher or rivet-drill and work on it every weekend, all summer. Oh yeah, and around $30/mo. would be nice.
Brad

Old 02-04-2004, 11:55 AM   #16
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Hello Brad.

I will soon be in the same boat...er.. Airstream as you are when we finally procure a unit sometime soon.

As you can see, I am in Chicago, and have been calling any and everyone about storage. Like you, I would love to have an indoor space somewhere so that I can tinker. If that is not feasable, than at very least something covered would be next choice.

There's a place in Mundeliein called Acorn. They are a bit of drive for both of us, and they have no water or electric available, which I would dearly love.

The rates in the Chicagoland area are high, even for outdoor un-covered spaces. I am finding that $85-$200 to be standard.

One thought I had would be to pull together a bunch of us Chicago guys and find a warehouse or something like that and split the rent. Heck, we could start our own club!!!!

Anyone out there in Chicago wanna lease us ground floor space???

Jonathan

Old 02-04-2004, 12:02 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Unhappy Smoggy and pricey L.A!

Here in the L.A. area we RV folks have to get creative. We compete not only with the other RVs, but also with the tonnage of Big Rigs parked all over the land. The best deal I had was in a lot where a Taco Man sets up at night. The deal was for $80 a month and this is w/out fencing. Soon, thugs left their mark and I moved it to another location where $60/month was a bargain.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by crazylev

One thought I had would be to pull together a bunch of us Chicago guys and find a warehouse or something like that and split the rent. Heck, we could start our own club!!!!

Jonathan
Crazylev.. you may not be so crazy after all!

I love that idea! I'm sure we can do *way* better than choosing between $200 a month in the city... or a shrine to the Amish in Mundelein.

So if we talk to the local chapter head (I've got his name here somewhere) maybe we can get 4 or 5 other people to pitch in and find something central that suits everyone. I'd imagine our common interestes are simple: a roof, electric and water, and relatively secure. I'd be willing to drive up to 40 minutes or so to work on it every day this summer. I'm sure we can come up with something better than what we've found. Brilliant plan!
Brad
Old 02-04-2004, 12:15 PM   #19
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
Hello.

I'm not a chauvinist pig, though my wife might dispute this. I meant to say guys AND gals.....

Brad.

Yes. Secure. Roof. Close by maybe somewhere between Chicago and Evanston, and maybe utilities. In the meantime, Eric (Silvertwinkie) has given everyone in the mid-west area permission to store their rigs at his house until we can find something....

This is the one thing that I am losing sleep over...where to put the trailer!!!

Jonathan
Old 02-04-2004, 12:31 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
IF......

IF....you find a place...let me know.....by the way...give me one of those cigarettes.. by the by...whats between chicago and evanston?

norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 12:36 PM   #21
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Yea....that's pretty much what I found about a year ago too Jonathan. It ain't cheap around here at all. There used to be a great place in Lake Zurich, but what I found is that the farmer sold the property and now homes and a forrest preserve are now what stand on the property.

At some point in the next year or two, I will be replacing the garage that got damaged by the tree that fell on it. I plan on building a garage that could accomidate up to a 29' RV.
Old 02-04-2004, 01:18 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Hey Twink,

Maybe you can work out a deal to lease a half acre of that business park next door and let us all park there.
Old 02-04-2004, 01:29 PM   #23
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:

Jonathan
Not that bad of an idea at all. I found a place in Wheeling that is about 1500sqf. I figure it could hold at least 4-5 coaches. The thing is that it's a sale, not a lease. Here is the multiple listing number: 03287518

If you looked at it as an investment, then perhaps it would be reasonable. Sort of like a flying club where dues pay for the upkeep, maint, taxes, etc and the membership fee covers the price of being a member. That would mean a membership fee of about $35k (based on 5 people) and monthly dues of about $100/month, but then if you sell your membership, you get the appreciation of the value of the property at the time of sale. Managed like a condo board, it actually could work. The hard part is making a $35k commitment, using the space and waiting to get that money back later with the knowledge of a greater return as the years went by. For example, the cost divided by 5 would be $35k now, but lets say in 5 years the value of the property would be $225,000.00. That would make each membership valued at $45,000.00 and more than wash out the monthly dues. It is however not a for sure thing that the property would appreciate in 5 years by $50k.

Just a thought though......
Old 02-04-2004, 01:31 PM   #24
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by bredlo
Hey Twink,

Maybe you can work out a deal to lease a half acre of that business park next door and let us all park there.
Wouldn't that be nice....but I think Kraft (the owner of the property) would kind of chuckle as they said......no.

Eric
Old 02-04-2004, 01:37 PM   #25
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
I suppose in addition to that, we would have to figure insurance, which could be quite high if storing RV's, and property taxes. Ouch.

JL
Old 02-04-2004, 01:49 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
as per usual...

takes money to make money.....

norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 02:45 PM   #27
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
I suppose in addition to that, we would have to figure insurance, which could be quite high if storing RV's, and property taxes. Ouch.

JL
Taxes right now on the property are about $6k. That would be factored into the monthly "dues". One thing that is not factored is the cost of insurance on the building as it is owned, not leased, that would have to be investigated, but Norberts right, it takes money to make money and as result, storage for our units..... I can just see the agent..."Yea, we want to use this place as a storage facility for 5 RVs. It will only have at least 10 30# tanks of propane in there".

It's so pie in the sky, but it is something to seriously consider as some might not have the property to actually build something to store their RV. The alternative is about $200/mo or $2400/yr that you'll never see again. In 5 years that's $12k in rent!
Old 02-04-2004, 03:17 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
Insurance

Good idea. My storage in MN is $110 per month for outside storage, but it is close in.

FYI...Insurance would not be that big a deal as you could use a variety of "hold harmless agreements" and contractual language to eliminate most of the risk. Some of the risk would fall, as it does now, on each owners insurance on the vehicles under comp or liability. If you go through with this concept, I can help on the risk side for you. There are lots of good agents in IL that I can refer you to as well.
Jace

WBCCI #2369
JaceBeck is offline   Reply With Quote