Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Nefarious activities and bad dudes

I'd be willing to bet most anything that the drug trade has caught on to the utility of ASs as meth labs or similar places to do illegal drug stuff. After all, they can haul our babies up/out in the boonies and work in them until someone happens by who might spill the secret of their location, so then they just pick up and move it someplace else and keep on doing their thing.

I appreciate Frank's conspiracy theory (stealing to ship abroad), but is there really a big enough market and selling price to warrant all that trouble and risk? Plus the cost of shipping??

I just wish they would STOP IT!!

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:08 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i don't agree with the meth lab theory. why would they want something as memorable as an Airstream? ... unless maybe they're on drugs, LOL. i'd think they would want something more low profile. i gree that is should stop happening!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
The meth scum around here have started renting u-haul trailers. The rental companies are aware of what is going on and are being very careful who they rent too these days.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
We have a thriving independent chemical processing industry here and those contractors all want one thing in common. Anonymity! They don't want to attract attention. Of course the very small contractors will use a motel room or the trunk of a car.

We don't have any history of independent chemical processors stealing trailers to set up shop. None. They like to rent a farm house 5 miles from the nearest neighbor to minimize detection due to odor and waste. They still are detected by the trail left by their obtaining raw materials which they almost always pay for rather than steal, but quite a few still escape detection by being smart and keeping production on a smaller scale.

The big labs here are on the reservations. Those are very difficult to eliminate.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
AWCHIEF and Splitrock,

Sounds like my idea is wrong; good! But whoever is doing it, they're real lowlifes and I wish they'd stop. Especially since neither the police nor the insurance cos. seem interested in pursuing the thieves. I guess there are worse things going on, but still, we do pay taxes and should get some serious action for that from public servants. Or am I dreaming??

Vivian
Old 03-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Your dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
AWCHIEF and Splitrock,

Sounds like my idea is wrong; good! But whoever is doing it, they're real lowlifes and I wish they'd stop. Especially since neither the police nor the insurance cos. seem interested in pursuing the thieves. I guess there are worse things going on, but still, we do pay taxes and should get some serious action for that from public servants. Or am I dreaming??

Vivian
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen View Post
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. Sal.
Say it ain't so, Sal!

Then I guess I just have to get out my [t]rusty shotgun and ride with the posse, dang it all, and carry a good, long rope, too.

Vivian
Old 03-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Scottsdale , Arizona
When the economy is poor more people will resort to crimes for survival. More addiction & theft. This is a social & economic issue. Addiction is a disease not a crime to be punished for. The environment supports or produces that behavior. So change the environment to change the behavior. That's the only way.

I can't understand stealing an AS. What can be gained? They must have been desperate or not in their right minds. It's not rational. What's new?

'58 Shasta Canned Ham
silverwoman is offline   Reply With Quote