Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2010, 10:46 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Hi RichHog,

So sorry you've had your AS stolen too - mine was a 75 Tradewind. While my theft is quite different to yours (I talked to the guy who stole mine - sale gone bad) I have a LOT of empathy, and you have my whole support.

Dave
Old 09-07-2010, 01:26 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Check with the lawn maintenance service, new help would have had plenty of time to scope out the lot, what it would take to move it.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:05 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Anti-theft ideas

1. The "BOOT" - actually a seriously good idea. (2air will find the thread - he's a magic wabbit!)
  2. Big logging chain run through the front and rear wheels and locked... One on each side. I'm going for frustration leading to abandonment.
  3. Motion sensored alarm that goes off playing bagpipes loudly
  4. lo-jack.... say I haven't heard any commercials lately, are they still around?
  5. Let it be known that your hobby is snakes and that 15 live in the A/S. Prominent "beware of python" signs on all access doors, and hanging rattles on all the doors too.
  6. Fill your black tank, and when you park it, make a shallow cess pit around the tongue jack, then drain the tank into it.
  7. deflate all four tires, even remove the rims.
  8. kill switch on the batteries, tongue jack
  9. if you own the property, sink a 9 cu yd concrete blob in the ground with a huge staple sticking out made of 2 inch rebar. Lock the trailer down to that!
  10. Cameras that broadcast to your home. And of course a microphone that will allow you to talk to the thief, or just make the noise of a pump action shotgun being readied.
  11. The classic catapulting bag o sh** that is activated by opening the door without enabling the interlock switch.
  12. (censored)
  13. can you say "Airstream Bug Zapper" How hard would it be to turn your conductive unit into a bug zapper? Enquiring minds want to know.
  14. find a gory realistic halloween mask and put it in a gallon pickle jar with the leavings of the pickle juice. Display discreetly by a window near the door. A decal of Charles Manson or Jeffrey Dalmer on the door might finish it neatly.
This sucks big time. If I stored mine, it would be inside with cameras!

Paula
Old 09-07-2010, 02:41 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
One person stays here ALL the time. We make sure every body sees us seeing them back. We have one of those round locks that looks hard to cut loose. But I did not know that one could use a smaller ball and still skip off. You would think a gadget like an on star monitor could be used. Also you all know that GPS devices are in some devices like phones, Flat screen tvs, why not get a microchip for a pet and use it hidden in your airstream instead.
There is a metal device you can instll over the hitch area that also locks that I have seen being used.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:41 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Hey Dave, thanks for your thoughts. Did you contact any State Highway DPS officials about your theft, is there an office to call? I don't have a lot of confidence in the Houston Police Department as they didn't even show an interest in photos of what an Airstream looks like. The state guys however watch the high ways and I know for a fact that every mile of i-10 to San Antonio and to Dallas on I45 is monitored by video cameras. Just trying to find the right department out there that would look for it on the road.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:49 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
South Texas is DIFFERENT

Damn Rich! I am so sorry for your loss.
Besides the DPS get the word out to the Border Patrol guys and the oil field companies. If anybody is going to get behind those ranch gates to deer camps or Dove hunter camps...its those guys.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Skilled thieves are beyond most of the simple deterrents. A fairly heavy gauge chain was cut, lock still attached. Master Lock on the ball hitch probably cut same way. The Husky Lock under the ball mount was probably knocked out by a sledge hammer. Some skill was required to back up, hook up and U turn to get out of the lot. Whoever did it had thought it out pretty carefully to make their exit.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:02 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Rich, sorry to hear about your loss. It looks like you took all of the pre-cautions, too, with a hitch lock and tire chain. Did your TW have a removable pigtail? That's an additional measure I've been taking to deter theft. Most thiefs strike at night and If they're driving with no trailer lights they might get noticed by police.

This is the 3rd Airstream theft mentioned here on the Forums in the past month.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:07 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Didn't have a chain on the tires, would have been one more thing as a deterrent or at least delayed their exit. Am hoping they will make a mistake and somehow get caught maybe looking for keys to the door or a new lock or to repair the broken front window.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:39 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

West Richland , Washington
I love all your theft deterrents. #10 reminded me of my parent's deterrent. My parents have lived on a corner lot on the way to the local junior high and high school. After having their shrubs set on fire (that was the last straw, you name it, the damn school kids have done it), Dad bought 2 dummy cameras. They run on 9 volt batteries, and every few seconds they sweep from side to side. A red light blinks on and off, and occasionally a green light comes on. The have one in my old corner bedroom window and one in the family room window. And it's worked. Aside from the occasional pop can being thrown in their yard, mischief is way down.
SusanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:59 PM   #31
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
For a tandem axle get a security chain and cover from this place

Industrial Chain Rigging Equipment Supplier, Chain Hoists, Winches, Securement Products

And a really good padlock. Run the chain between the "spokes." This is what I do. I'll post a photo. Pretty much proof against hand tools unless they are willing to fiddle around jacking up a side and replace both wheels (unlikely) or have two really good dollies (also unlikely).

Pretty much anything falls to an angle grinder or cutting torch though
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:49 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I've seen some pretty beefy coupler locks here on the Forums. I wonder how effective these are in detering theft? Any thoughts on who makes the best coupler lock?

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:58 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
a few threads:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ons-63196.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ock-47196.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ers-29301.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...one-36970.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...lock-2996.html
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:00 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Rich, I am soo sorry I forwarded the information to my family in Texas so they can be on the lookout for you. I just got my trailer Saturday and im totally paranoid! Can someone give a newbie advice on this "boot"?? how heavy is it? im petite can I take it on and off by myself???
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:00 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
since cell phones can be tracked by police, i wonder if hiding a phone in the trailer would work if kept charged.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:34 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
since cell phones can be tracked by police, i wonder if hiding a phone in the trailer would work if kept charged.
I think he would have to make a call.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:35 AM   #37
1 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
1972 23' Safari
Boomhower , Texas
Sorry about the theft, we will keep our eyes open in North Texas. Best advice we have been given to prevent theft is to jack it up, put blocks under the axles on one side and take the tires off that side. If they are serious enough to bring tires for it then you probably couldn't have stopped them with anything else.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:41 AM   #38
1 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
1972 23' Safari
Boomhower , Texas
Oh, one other thought. Have you notified the headquarters for Texas Parks and Wildlife and The Army Corp of Engineers? With the bad weather blowing through Texas right now someone might have it in a park somewhere avoiding the weather. Airstreams really stick out and the gate attendants would probably know if they had one in their parks. Might also notify some of the other private agencies like Good Sam and KOA.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:07 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Thanks for the ideas Sally. The DPS Criminal unit in Austin let me know that it is on their computer. But the only thing that the Police would look for is the license plate and I imagine that would be the first thing a good thief would exchange. I stopped an officer this morning who was next to my office and we looked the report up on the "system". Showed him a picture of it and he said he saw one similar a half mile from my office but thought it had been there last Friday. Wasn't mine, was a 60's model but appreciated him driving over to check. Gave him a flyer with photos and description on it as he said he would hang it up in the break area.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:50 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Well Rich, I did my best. I have friends in Austin who are "beverage" distributors...Houston to El Paso. That element is now looking. Through some friends who are large ranch operators between Houston and Ft. Stockton...up to San Antonio....we have the oil field and ranch workers on the look out too. I did mention a small reward..."DEAD OR ALIVE."l

Tags
stolen, theft