Old 09-22-2004, 01:48 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA
I can only express my dismay, though not shock, at how low a thief can get. Of course we'll keep an eye open on our travels and here in N. Texas, but I must concur with another post that it was probably a 'targeted' operation. My belief is something that rare must be headed overseas, or at least over an intl. border.

And yes, thanks for the great new designs with the American classic Airstream!!

Old 09-22-2004, 04:34 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

What to do? Who to call?

I'll be on the look-out, too. Should we just call the area police if it's seen? Or do you have a voicemailbox we should call, too? Posting to this forum is not exactly convenient.

Old 09-22-2004, 06:19 PM   #31
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Verification

To the doubting Thomas's that were on the chat last evening, I emailed Christopher Deam. This is the response:
Terry,

Yes, unfortunately it is me... Thanks for confirming and for keeping your eyes open.

Sincerely,

Christopher C. Deam / CCD

The email I sent using the email address I obtained from from his website, the phone numbers on it are his.
Let's keep our eyes open for this unusual trailer, and hope he gets it back soon, and unscathed.
Terry
Old 09-22-2004, 07:34 PM   #32
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Chris,

This thread may not give you the answer you want to hear in finding your coach through this forum or indicate that it will be found directly by the authorities, but it may give some hope. This one was found indirectly through a theft of another item.

Your's is the second theft of an Airstream that I have read of on this forum in the two months that I have been a member. It tells me that when I purchase my unit I will think long and hard about storing it in a self storage facility. I know for most urbanites, that is the only option for owning anything that can't be parked at the curb like an automobile. Fortunately, I will have an option since I live out in the burbs. I think lo-jack would be a wise investment if I do park it in a self storage lot. I would expect an insurance discount like on autos and for monitored burglar alarms on houses.

Before I read about the thefts on this forum I would have never thought of something as large and unwieldly as a travel trailer being subject to theft. Who would have thought you could just back up to one and drive off with it. I know there are special locks because this happens, but still it just seems so hard to imagine.

I told my wife that I want to join WBCCI if for no reason other than to get those big red numbers to put on the front and back to at least give it a unique and distinquishing characteristic that could be easily seen and verified by an unknowlegeable law enforcement officer. (I'm sure they don't learn the finer points about Airstreams at Police Academy. Besides, they don't make changes from year to year like cars, SUV's and pick-ups.) I know they aren't exactly high design, but you can always view them as part of the Americana that is part of the Airstream mystique.

If there is a history of RV thefts from your storage facility or from other like facilities in your facility's immediate area, the owner had a legal responsibility to tell you and assumed certain liability if the agent didn't tell you. The history record is something to check with the police dept. The limits of liability for the owner would be specific to California law, but generally you have a right to be informed of specific or unusual risk and if you are not and the owner knows of a risk, he/she assumes that risk not you. If they know of a risk and tell you, then the risk is yours. BTW, I'm no lawyer, but this is the way it works in Georgia and we are not cutting edge on this sort of thing.

Since you are the designer of the series, I know it is very special to you. It is YOUR Bambi International CCD, not just an Airstream Bambi International CCD, and special on its own merrits as the personal unit of the series designer: it is Christopher Dean's Bambi International CCD.

I really wish you luck in finding your Airstream.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:55 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Stolen CCd

Perhaps a good time to consider joining the WBCCI, if for no other reason than to get assigned a unit number & like it was previously mentioned, have it painted on the roof. With luck the culprit/culprits will be caught & the unit returned undamaged.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 12:48 PM   #34
ccd
1 Rivet Member

I've gotten a lot of great suggestions for finding my trailer, thank you all. I took one specifically and contacted the San Francisco Chronicle....they ran a story on the theft in this mornings paper (Friday 24th p. B-4). Based on that story I was contacted by the local TV news, and they may run a story tomorrow evening if its a slow news day. Seems like this is snowballing to a point where it will be hard for someone to move or use the trailer in the light of day. What's next Dan Rather?
Old 09-24-2004, 12:55 PM   #35
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
One thing that was touched on you should do if you haven't already. Contact the shipyards to see if anyone has shipped it out of the country. It would show up on the ship's manifest and you could have it intercepted at the next port of call by the local authorities. It might even still be on the docks waiting to be loaded if it is going to a specific local. Maybe ask the Coast Guard to check with other ports on west coast as well.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:08 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

A friend on mine had his restored vintage trailer stolen a few months ago and he never heard a word and it is still listed stolen with the police. Maybe it went to Japan.

Is is possible to get Lojack for these travel trailers?? I'd just love to see the look on the thief's face when the authorities arrive!!
Old 09-24-2004, 01:14 PM   #37
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
A construction firm I used to work for had Lo-jack installed on their back-hoes and bob cats. This helped to locate several that were stollen from with-in fenced lots over the years. (Theives would hot wire and drive through the storm fence.) One was retrieved inside a land-sea container that was loaded on a freighter in Miami. I don't see why they couldn't put one on an AS, it has the 12v power supply already in place.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:09 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Love my CCD

I too, just thought it might make you feel better to keep hearing how much the CCD is loved. I enjoy showing mine to people and watching their expressions when they first look inside.

It is so unique, and I hope that I will always have one.

Andy
Old 09-24-2004, 05:35 PM   #39
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLB21
Is is possible to get Lojack for these travel trailers?? I'd just love to see the look on the thief's face when the authorities arrive!!
Yes, same cost as a car, at least as of a year ago.
Terry
Old 09-25-2004, 08:30 AM   #40
Arr, we captain our ship!

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Christopher,

So sorry to hear of your loss. You are a hero in our eyes (especially my wife's)!

Good article from the San Francisco Chronicle.

Here's the link

We all wish you the best! We're seriously on the lookout!

Jay

PS. Here's the other picture of your CCD that they posted in the newspaper article...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ba_trailer.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	8839  
Old 09-25-2004, 01:07 PM   #41

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I'm seriously considering something like Lojack for my Caravel. Not only am I worried after seeing reports here of stolen trailers, but it seems like everywhere I go with the trailer lately someone comes up to me and says "Wow, did you know those are worth a LOT of money? All the celebrities want to own one!" Hey, thanks Simple Life! Now people just look at it and think money! That can't be good for those of us who want to keep ours. I'd rather they look at them and think "old camper"!

Good luck, Mr CCD, I sure hope you get yours back, I know I'd be broken hearted if I lost mine. However, if I did I'd probably replace it with a new CCD...

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 06:27 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I want to add my thanks to you for your design. I had never even considered buying a trailer until I saw the CCD. It has been a great hotel room on wheels. We've stayed in cities, along rivers and in places where we would never have gotten back out without 4 wheel drive. The only downside has been how much attention it gets everywhere we go.

We will keep our eyes open out here in New Mexico.

The People from the Pod
pod people is offline   Reply With Quote