Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2003, 01:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Step repair took 3 hours--Airstream paid

Besides "the dent" for which I paid $255--it is better-- not perfect, Dillons fixed the step. A bolt had fallen out on the one side and it would not latch in open position.

In today's mail I got a copy of what they are sending to Airstream on warranty work--3 hours. They had to take out rivets from the bottom pan and put in a bolt and then re-rivet.

I noticed that work is at the rate of $85 in the Dillons repair shop. How often am I going to lose bolts in the step? It would be $255 for the step repair if I were paying.

I believe I need "step bolt insurance".

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 01:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Question Do you have

Kistler,

You seemed to be followed by...

BLACK CLOUDS..

Sorry to hear abt that...
(maybe you should put "locktight" on your bolts?)

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 01:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Yeah, you are right on both counts (cloud and lock tight) . I hope the dealer put the lock tight on heavy. One of you guys said to cut a hole in the bottom and look for the bolt, by the way.

Here's what they did and sent 3 hours charge (who knows what rate?)to Airstream: bolt in step dislocated-bolt fell out, is inside rocker panel-remove LP line & stabilizer jack, drill out rivets, pull down rocker panel, reinstall bolt, reassaemble.

Apparently it is not an "unheard of" problem--has a code "022" and an operation # "1470" Dillons left out the amount on my copy of the Airstream work order.

Kistler
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 12:32 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Kistler

STEP SOFTLY WHEN STEPPING ON THE STEP. ha! ha!
Old 09-01-2003, 07:00 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Brighton , Michigan
Kistler,
Did you watch them so you will know how to do it yourself? When you start to have trouble with the step locking on both sides it usually means the bolt is backing out and the shoulder of the bolt is no longer riding inthe slot on the side plate. This means it is time to take it apart again and tighten the bolt before it falls out.

Jim
apple 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 06:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
The bolt is a pain to get to. I have thought about cutting an access hole and using sheet metal screws for closure. Also check the screws in the sides of the steps, if you have the double flop ones. I recently lost a screw while someone was exiting the trailer. Luckily they didn't get hurt when the step collapsed.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 07:51 PM   #7
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
The former owner of my trailer produces a simple 3/4 inch OD pipe brace that he gives out to friends and perhaps markets to others. This pipe brace sure helps stabilize the step assembly and helps prevent a lot of problems.

I hope I can describe this rather simple invention. The device is a piece of 3/4 inch pipe of appropriate length (a couple of feet) that is notched on one end by sawing across one end with a hack saw sufficient that the notch will "grab" the back of the top step. The other end of the pipe is fitted with a nut into which a round headed bolt is screwed. By adjusting the bolt, the length of the pipe assembly can be adjusted. The bolt head is adjusted to where it rests against the frame of the trailer with the other end of the pipe bracing the back of the upper step. The brace is placed in the middle of the step assembly to support the step. It really helps in eliminating the torque that occurs when both steps are folded out and put in service, but I have gotten to the point of using it all the time whether or not I have the second step deployed. It takes only a second to put the pipe in place and it prevents an awful lot of the kind of problems discussed above from ever occurring.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 08:20 PM   #8
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Very timely thread. I am having the same problem with my step ... so I just left it folded up .. and am using a small step stool.

I got down with a flashlight and looked at the bolts on both sides ... they look equal ... that is, I can't see that either one is backing out at all.

It looks like my step is just torqued out of shape ... while the slot ... or groove ... on the weak side looks distorted and worn. Rather ugly looking actually.

Why did Airstream make this in such a way to make it so darn hard to work on?

I'm not sure what I'm going to at this point.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 08:09 AM   #9
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GStephens
The former owner of my trailer produces a simple 3/4 inch OD pipe brace that he gives out to friends and perhaps markets to others. This pipe brace sure helps stabilize the step assembly and helps prevent a lot of problems.
I have something very similar for my trailer, that was custom made by a PO. It isn't adjustable...only works for re-inforcing the second step, when deployed. this is a different problem than the one originally described in this thread, but same idea. the second step is supported by solid alluminum stops that simply wear over time. the design is just not sturdy enough, and alluminum is soft and wears . Anyway, my brace is made from a solid steel rod, with short lengths of angle-iron welded perpendicularly on the ends. (looks like the letter "I"). one end fits up against the frame, and the other rests against the top rear edge of the bottom step. works like a charm, and the device fits nicely in behind the folding table when not in use. when you need it, its right there inside the door. I've posted drawings of it in another thread.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote