Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2003, 10:16 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Smile Greetings

Larry,
Like you, I was in the market for a Used Airstream and, bought the Burb afterwards..

You've gotten some great inputs/advise from all of the people. No doubt abt it, your final choice will narrow down quickly~
Likewise, my wife and I are nearing our retirement. We settled on a 29ft A/S that has more than met all of our expectations/needs.
The Burb, that we ended up with, pulls our A/S like a choo-choo train. At first, I would check the rear view to "see" if it's still there.
Our tow vehicle is a GMC Burb 2500 SLT, 4x4 with diesel, and factory installed HD towing package. (Barn doors)
I've never experienced any problems opening either doors getting in or out. Just watch out for the grease balls...lol, I can't tell you how many times I've gotten "swipe'd".
Since we live in New Hampshire, where the winters are brutal, I've to say that...owning/operating a diesel is a piece of cake. I've heard comments abt winter, etc..but, that hasn't been our experience with the diesel Burb. I do buy good fuel and, during the winter months, mix in an additive. (It has a block heater which I use on the coldest of nights)
The fuel economy has been, while pulling the A/S, mostly in the 13 mpg range (it will drop down to 10-11 mpg in the Mtn). Without the A/S behind, it's in the 18 mpg range. The rpm seems to always be abt 2,000 rpm, with average driving habits.
Cost? The biggest cost I've had is self imposed: I change the oil/oil filter abt every 4 to 5k miles when not pulling the A/S. While pulling the A/S, that is cut down to 3k for both. I change out the fuel filter every 10k miles, period. Air filter is usually changed before the start of a long trip and, upon the completion of our trip. The tranny/rear end gets serviced at the end of our trip. Sounds like a lot but, it has never caused us any problems. I now have 148k on the diesel. BTW, two month ago, I had the compression checked: The readings were all in the 420/414 psi range.
Just my take on owning a diesel Burb. For towing. "It's a work-horse.."
Good Luck to you both~!~
ciao
Attached Images

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 04:06 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Les, Jack, Kevin, Flying Cloud...

Thanks for the various opinions on the doors/liftgate. I'm finding there are many things that are "personal preference", but it sure helps having different perspectives when considering the options.

BTW, the new Suburban, Kevin, has the traditional tailgate - folds both down and up. My present vehicle (Mountaineer) has the liftgate, I miss the tailgate.

When I asked a dealer about putting the diesel in the new Suburbans, it sounded like the transmission case is too large(tall) for the frame - no time estimate on when that might change. And I've heard from a few folks (Kevin included) that diesel is less available in remote areas; don't know if that's a factor.

Have any of you put larger fuel tanks in your vehicles for the out-of-the way trips? Seeing the 13mpg with the diesel vs ?? with the large gas engine (454 or 8.1L) raises the question. I've found some sites that have replacement tanks. Any experience?

Thanks, again. We've got less than a year to retirement, so it's getting close to seeing you on the road.

{Kevin, I received some good info from Ed. Thanks!}

- Larry
lwp999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 04:35 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
fuel capacity

Good point on the amount of fuel you can carry. I have a friend with one of the last 7.4 liter 2500 Chevy pickups and fuel capacity can definitely be of concern, especially when you're heading out the backroads of west Texas. He had bought an auxillary bed tank and wanted me to help him install it but I refused, asked him if he realized how dangerous it was to be carrying 30 or 40 gallons of gasoline with nothing but a piece of glass separating it from yourself. He changed his mind, especially after thinking about his grandkids sitting in the cab. I know you can get aftermarket fuel tanks with increased capacity that will replace the existing tank. Not sure if they have them for suburbans though. Even with the 40 gallons you can carry, the 8.1 or 7.4 can go through it in a hurry, even without towing anything. I've said it before and will say it again, I.M.H.O. diesel power is the way to go.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 04:46 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Silverado Reg cab long bed

My truck came with a factory 34 gallon tank. But I only travel about 150-200 miles per day and that's about a 1/2 tanks worth.

Even if I did drive a full-day, I haven't yet used a full tank. I either fill-up at the end of the day or 1st thing in the morning prior to setting out.

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 04:53 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Full-day

By the way- 400 miles is a full-days drive for me. I don't care to be exhausted at the end of the day. Plus since I'm retired, I don't even own a watch, I'm not on any time table.

John
Old 01-04-2003, 04:58 PM   #26
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
40 gallons

when we do our sturgis run it is just over 800 miles. thats where the fourty gallon tank comes in handy.

from madison wi. i stop for fuel in rochester minn. and chamberland sd. arriving in spearfish sd. 12 3/4 to 13 hours later.

we call it the drive drive drive sleep run.

john

p.s. thats when the metallica cd's come in handy to keep awake!
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 05:09 PM   #27
Rivet Master

My last concert!

They were the last concert that I've been to, back in 99. Outside in W.PalmBeach and they sounded as awesome live as they do on their cd's.

John
Old 01-04-2003, 06:39 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Cool Oops

Larry,
You brought up an excellent point~
I forgot to mention that fact..
With the diesel Burb, the fuel tank is 42 gallon tank. I have/can drive from NH, to Va Beach, Va., on 3/4 (give or take) tank.
This is without haulin the A/S
I'll usually fill up at a 'busy truck stop' along the way just to have extra. You don't wanta run out~!
As you mention, the diesel isn't yet available in the new Burb.
All I can say abt that is, if more people ask for it, maybe GMC will get their act together~! lol
ciao
Attached Images

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 07:04 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Starting to look - welcome advice

Greetings Larry!

RE: Fuel Economy 7400 Vortec/4.10 Differentials/4-wheel drive

My '99 Suburban has the 45-gallon factory fuel tank and I have never really felt that I needed more capacity regardless of my travel destination or area.

I generally limit my towing speed to 55-MPH, and with my 6,000 pound '64 Overlander will typically average about 12 MPG utilizing overdrive. If the transmission begins "hunting", I then shift to direct drive until the highway levels out. My lowest towing mileage was for a tank crossing the Continental Dvide via the Eisenhower Tunnel in Colorado - - that tank full was 9.5 MPG and I was still maintaining nearly 55 MPH throughout much of the pull.

For day-to-day driving, the Suburban averages 14 MPG - - to and from work 8-miles each direction over lightly traveled secondary highways- - no expressway driving. On longer solo trips on the Interstate, the Suburban averages nearly 15 to as much as 16 MPG at a constant 65 MPH.

Whether towing or driving solo, I usually get the Suburban up to a comfortable speed and set the cruise control avoiding frequent changes in speed. My fuel mileage data covers almost 99,000 miles utilzing only premium grades of Mobil or Citgo fuels. The transmission is serviced every 30,000 miles and the rest of the maintenance is by the book utilzing the severe use schedule.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 07:04 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Wow,

A retired dude who listens to Metallica. If you don't mind me asking, John from Florida, how old are you? The Doobie Brothers, maybe, but Metallica?

I have a few Iron Maiden cd's I carry just for those all-niters.

"Run for the hills!!"

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 07:20 PM   #31
Rivet Master

I'm 44

Not too old!!!!

John
Old 01-04-2003, 09:38 PM   #32
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally posted by Chas
Wow,

A retired dude who listens to Metallica. If you don't mind me asking, John from Florida, how old are you? The Doobie Brothers, maybe, but Metallica?

I have a few Iron Maiden cd's I carry just for those all-niters.

"Run for the hills!!"

Chas
how about white zombie instead!

john

p.s. i'm only 41, still working though.....
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 09:14 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
New Pricing

Before you buy a recent-year used AS, look at new. List prices on new are meaningless. My 03 Safari LS listed for $40,400, Ace Fogdall wanted $35,000, while Bates RV in FL sold it to us for $30,400. This is right in the neighborhood of the asking prices I found for 1-3 year old units. Your mileage may vary...

The "LS" version of the Safari has many of the Classic's features, at less cost and weight. Classic woodwork is much better though.

If your Mountaineer is the current model (2002-2003) with independant rear suspension you may find that it tows a Safari just fine. You might try it before deciding on a new truck. An older model Mountaineer, or plans for lots of mountain trips, suggest a larger vehicle.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:57 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Smile Congrats!

Dan,

Awesome savings!!!

Could you share the "LS" features that have been added?

John
Old 01-05-2003, 04:07 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the info, Dan.

As I've started adding up the costs for new Suburbans with the cost of the trailer, the smaller Safari still looks interesting as it could be pulled by the new Explorer/Mountaineer with a 7000 capacity.

There's not much info on the LS options in the Airstream brochure, nor on their website, so anything you could add on the features would be appreciated.

The new AS brochure shows the new International series at 8' wide and seemingly less weight... maybe that becomes another option when the 28' comes out. Again, nothing on the Airstream site that I could find.

Thanks also for the price info. It helps to shop around!
- Larry
Old 01-06-2003, 09:56 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
LS Features

Some of the Safari LS features are listed on Airstreams website, others are not disclosed anywhere. I'm not sure I know all the features - but here is what I can recall:

- electric tongue jack
- A/C with heat pump & electronic thermostat to control furnace, A/C, and heat
- Corian counter in kitchen and bath instead of formica
- Moen residential faucet in kitchen, including built-in drinking water filter
- Moen residential fixtures for bathroom sink and shower
- spare tire and bracket
- black-water tank flush system
- cast traillights
- fantastic fan w/thermostat control and rain sensor closing device
- larger water pump
- an aluminum guard on the screen door to protect the screen

IMHO the electric jack, heat pump, spare tire, fantastic fan, and flush system are valuable additions - the rest are fluff.

The LS package lists for ~$4,000, which is ridiculous. Again, ignore list prices! I could have purchased a new 2003 25' Safari without the LS package from Paul Sherry RV in Ohio for $30,200, or the one I bought from Bates RV near Tampa FL with LS for $30,400 - the LS package is well worth $200 (but not $4,000)!

Towing the 25' with a 2002 Explorer works fine. I got 11-14 mpg towing it from FL to WI, with 11 mpg in the hills between Atlanta and Nashville. I saw 13-14 mpg in the flats of FL where I went 55 mph in fifth gear. High mountains would be slow going.

The Explorer may not handle a 28' trailer though. A 28' International trailer may be quite a bit more expensive than a Safari (??), but the current 22' Internationals are light weight with a GVWR of only 5000 lbs - which would be a good match for the Explorer.
Old 01-06-2003, 05:58 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the helpful information, Dan. After sending the last note I found the LS package info on the web site.

I've written Airstream for details on the timing and specifications for the coming 28' International, as it might be lighter than the 28' Classic.

---
1/17/03 UPDATE: 28' goes into production in April 2003; GVWR is 8600lb per the info sheet from Airstream, which is the same as the Classic. Retail base price will be $50,525.

- Larry