Old 08-21-2002, 05:47 PM   #1
Spare tire storage

I have just returned from a 4600 mile trip and got a flat tire. Of course, I forgot the spare since there is no real location for it other than the living room floor. I used to have a 57 Avion that had a rack welded on the rear bumper, is this the only alternative to storing on the floor? My '68 Overlander has a rear compartment located at the bumper for the power cord. Welding a rack onto the bumper I believe would create problems getting in and out of compartment. Now, this trailer has been around for a long time, and there are others out there with the same problem. What's everyone else doing?

mysilverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 07:44 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Spare tire

There is a spare tire rack you can have installed that attaches to one side of the A frame and stores the tire under the front of the trailer, the underside skin has to be cut for it to fit though. I believe they fit all year trailers. Available through AS dealers.

83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 05:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1973 23' Safari
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Spare Tire

Hello new member.. We have just had our 23 ft Safari for 5 weeks. I was underneath the front of the trailer and noticed the front pan had been cut away. I also noticed the black curved impression of a tire on the underside of the compartment so I assume that there was a spare tire stored there as explained by the previous writer.
When you need one a spare is a valuable asset!
Airstreams..... The best towing trailers on the planet!
Road Ruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 06:34 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Your experience reminded me of mine a few weeks ago. I had just bought a used Airstream in Mississippi and, on the way home, blew a tire in the middle of West Texas. Fortunately, the original owner had installed the spare tire holder and I was on my way again in short order. Needless to say, If I had not had the spare tire holder already, I would be installing one before my next trip.

Les Gilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 07:12 AM   #5
Send a message via Yahoo to snowabode
I'd appreciate any input on my challenge. I have two 40# Tanks on the front and a Hensley hitch which I believe adds a lot to the tongue weight. I do not want to add more weight with a spare tire upfront undermount and do not want to spoil the lines to the rear of the trailer by adding an obvious tire to the rear bumper.
snowabode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 07:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master
1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I blew a curbside rear tire about 40 miles west of Amarillo 5/01 after picking up my purchased '77 Excella 500 in AZ. It tore out a piece of aluminum sheetmetal behind the wheel well, exposed insulation that scattered over the highway and bent the outrigger at a 45 degree angle into the tire. I had to beat it back into position just to get the tire off. I limped into Amarillo and put 4 new Carlisle ST 8 ply tires on from Discount Tire. While they were mounting the tires, I was busy beating the outrigger further back so the new tire would fit. It was smooth sailing back to TN. A month later I finished the metal work and you can't tell that anything happened. I would not want to do it again!

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 05:52 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
Spare tire and Hensley hitch

I have a Hensley hitch on my 28ft Excella with two 30lb tanks and a spare tire just behind the hitch. I have not weighed the tongue yet, but the trailer handles very well. I doubt you will have trouble with the 40 lb tanks since the hitch has a built in equalizing system. You might weigh your tongue and see how close you are. You might also call Hensley (810-658-0006) or check their web site at "Hensleymfg.,Inc".

Old 09-04-2002, 06:05 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member
Blown tire in Texas

I thought my experience was bad enough. Sorry you had damage to your Airstream. I was luckey, my curb side front tire blew, but had no damage to the trailer. I have heard horror stories of possibe damage. I guess I was just living right that day. After changing the tire, I drove to Fort Stockton and bought new Goodyear ST radial tires.

Old 09-05-2002, 07:19 AM   #9
Still Working
1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Spare location on Overlander

My A-frame has a Spare tire rack mounted just behind the gas bottles.

The tire sits between the two strength members or rails.

This looks like original equipment although not very attractive.

If you look at the avatar to the left you can see the spare tire.

smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 10:35 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member
So much for that....

I have the sewer hose compartment under the tounge and certainly don't want it on the rear bumper. Guess I'll just keep puttin' it in the back of the truck. And, NO, not in the TT (new carpet) wife would have my head on a pole! Oscar

Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote