Old 06-05-2009, 05:25 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
Something to make you smile

It is the responsibility and honor of any newbie to provide a chuckle to the more experienced. I accept my position. I don't know if any of you remember, but we bent our awning arms on our first outing. That was embarrassing but bearable (heck, insurance covered half).
Started out at 11:30 to pick up our baby (60 mile drive), got all the way there in the pouring rain, with insane NJ drivers on the NJ parkway. Walk into the service dept of Colonial, paid my newbie tax for the bent arms when Mrs Newbie walks into the office with a smile and announces that we left the hitch head in the garage. So back we drove (did I mention the rain?), got the head, back, get, just in time for the weekend, go to the shore traffic.

I now take a bow, store the head in the TV, pay close attn to opening an awning and wait for my next lesson in humility.

You're welcome, for the laugh, I know the boys at Colonial got one. :-)

Old 06-05-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
It happens,I almost left once with the beer sitting by the door.Dave

Old 06-05-2009, 06:00 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Vero Beach , Florida
It is funny how we learn things.

I got one for ya, On our first trip I was anal about water usage. I told my girls to not use to much water. Most of you know where this is going. We stayed at truck stops and Cracker Barrel while on the road and we were parked in a drive way while at our destination. I knew we needed to dump the tanks before we got home, so we looked up the closest Flying J. It was about 150 miles away from home. I said great, we will dump the tanks there. I pulled in and stopped next to the dump station. I hooked up the hose and pulled the handle. Only a couple of drops came out. I said no S--T. This is not good. I looked inside the toilet and saw only paper. Now while we drove the rest of the way home I'm trying to figure out home to fix this. We live on five acres with no neighbors. My plan was to fill the tanks with water and then try again to dump them, but first I used the tractor to dig a hole, a big hole. 40 gallons of black and 40 gallons of gray plus more to rinse the tank. I dug a hole as deep as my little tractor would dig, about 4 feet deep and six feet wide. The hole was of course next to the driveway. I finally got the tanks to drain and had a hole full of blue/black water. My wife walked out to the mail box and was returning to the house. I told her what I did and she said OK, Then our white bull dog saw her walking back to the house and took off running to meet her and yes he ran right into the puddle that was 4 feet deep and full of S--T. He went all the way under and disappeared. He was under water for a couple of second before he could find the edge and claw his way out. He came up snorting and shaking and he was blue with paper hanging all over him. Needless to say he got a long bath that day and Now I tell the girls to use more water then paper.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Could have been worse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlumaCave View Post
It is funny how we learn things.

I got one for ya, On our first trip I was anal about water usage. I told my girls to not use to much water. Most of you know where this is going. We stayed at truck stops and Cracker Barrel while on the road and we were parked in a drive way while at our destination. I knew we needed to dump the tanks before we got home, so we looked up the closest Flying J. It was about 150 miles away from home. I said great, we will dump the tanks there. I pulled in and stopped next to the dump station. I hooked up the hose and pulled the handle. Only a couple of drops came out. I said no S--T. This is not good. I looked inside the toilet and saw only paper. Now while we drove the rest of the way home I'm trying to figure out home to fix this. We live on five acres with no neighbors. My plan was to fill the tanks with water and then try again to dump them, but first I used the tractor to dig a hole, a big hole. 40 gallons of black and 40 gallons of gray plus more to rinse the tank. I dug a hole as deep as my little tractor would dig, about 4 feet deep and six feet wide. The hole was of course next to the driveway. I finally got the tanks to drain and had a hole full of blue/black water. My wife walked out to the mail box and was returning to the house. I told her what I did and she said OK, Then our white bull dog saw her walking back to the house and took off running to meet her and yes he ran right into the puddle that was 4 feet deep and full of S--T. He went all the way under and disappeared. He was under water for a couple of second before he could find the edge and claw his way out. He came up snorting and shaking and he was blue with paper hanging all over him. Needless to say he got a long bath that day and Now I tell the girls to use more water then paper.
Thank God! For a horrible moment there I thought you were going to say your WIFE fell into the hole.... Can you say "DEAD Airstreamer?" And telling the story? Can you say "Wishing for death Airstreamer?"

Nice stinky dog... whew... in more than one way.

Paula
Old 06-05-2009, 06:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
The short version.

We picked up our brand new trailer and went camping.

Unhitching for the very first time on a slight incline. Dropped the chains and as the the hitch cleared the ball. Our brand new trailer started off downhill towards a very old and very big Oak tree.

Picture Mr. and Mrs. Goin Camping hanging on to the landing gear as the trailer went merrily downhill. Fortunately the landing gear dug in and the trailer stopped less than 12 inches from the tree.

We drank heavily that night.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Have we told everyone about the time we tried to sit out an ice/snow storm in Missouri? Knowing our thermostat was not working and relying on the electric space heater? Stupid, stupid, stupid. Three days later, 4 " of ice on the roof with snow on top of that, we dug ourselves out with a folding camp shovel, as the roads were too bad for AAA to come out. Love those little lessons.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
This is going to be a very fun thread to follow, I'm sure that we all have stories from the 1st trip (ours to follow),to the many tales and uh-ohs from seasoned A/Sers. Susan
Old 06-05-2009, 06:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
Well this helps. I am still not over getting caught on the stantion at the gas station only blocks from home on our first trip. Trip two was learning all about water pressure and literally blowing a gasket!
Old 06-06-2009, 06:32 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
What a great way to get a laugh. Great stories. will post one soon.