Old 08-25-2003, 01:56 PM   #1
Send a message via AIM to logicfix
So what do you think?

Greetings everyone,
I am a graduate student at Mississippi State University. Because I am going to be around here for a few years, I would like to purchase an Airstream to live in. I will not be buying for another eight months, but I would like to get a good idea of what I can afford, what I need and is it feasible to purchase an Airstream to live in. I am looking for something that is between 22 and 27 feet long. I would like to be able to put some shine on it if the metals right. I would also like to ask how big of a problem is “sagging” in the models with rear bathrooms. Also, what year did the whole grey water tank thing start? Thanks to everyone for all of their help, time and effort.

logicfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 03:00 PM   #2
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Hi there!

Welcome to the forums. You have certainly picked the right spot to get your questions answered.

There is a wealth of information on all of your question subjects in the archived threads here. Just use the search function and search on "rear end sag" or "polishing" or "price" and be prepared to spend a great deal of time learning!

Best of luck in your pursuits.

AIR 2053 Current: 2006 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis, & 1995 Coachmen B-van
Former Airstreams: 1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van"
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 03:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Since you're going to be around for a few yrs and you're in MS(not too harsh of a winter), an Airstream would be great environment!

I wouldn't feel comfortable in anything less than a 25'. As far as lay out, think about a study area and an eating area. This is to avoid constantly moving items to either eat or study.

Pricing is all over the place. If you're not going to be moving it, you may want to look into a 70's, 30'/31' A/S. I've been told that they are less desireable because of their lenght and don't hold their value as well as a 19' or 25'.

Spend sometime driving around in your area and see what you can find. You never know what's sitting out there for cheap money!

Good Luck-John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 03:42 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
Send a message via Yahoo to Fun-Lovin
I have a 31' with rear bath that is currently sagging. I found it a bit hard to determine what exactly I had but it could probally be refered to as bow where the back half starting at the rear axles started running down hill to the rear end. Mine is undetectable from the outside and was hard to determine with the jacks down.

I could be wrong on the gray water tanks but I believe they were standard in all models starting 1974. Someone correct me if im wrong. If your going to be living in one and parking it where there are full hook-ups then don't sweat it as you won't be using any of the holding tanks.

I saw a 1971 that needed a/c and refrig 31' for $2500 the other day so look around.

Good luck and I hope you find exactly what you want,
Fun-Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 11:29 PM   #5
Send a message via AIM to logicfix
Thanks to everyone for their input. Please keep all of the comments commin'. I remember seeing airstreams when I was a kid and thinking how cool they were, I still get that feeling today. I can't wait to get a 'stream of my own! -logic
logicfix is offline   Reply With Quote