Old 06-02-2002, 07:18 PM   #1

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
So I looked at a trailer today.....

I'm very tempted. Being a rookie at this, I thought I'd run it past you guys for some opinions....

Trailer is a '73 Safari 23. It appears to be in excellent condition. I was very impressed with the finish on the skin...most pics I've seen, and even a few in person, don't look nearly this good. (you know those typical spots of peeling clear-coat? none of that....). The inside is very clean, which makes me think that these folks have taken very good care of the trailer. Nice upholstery...brand new drapes that the mrs. made herself that look like they could have come from the factory. It has the original water heater, works fine. Brand new dometic fridge, which they told me cost 1600 bucks when all was said and done; cabinetry had to be modified to make the new model fit, which was done professionally. (hence the high price, I imagine). It has a fairly new Coleman A/C unit. The floors seemed to be in good shape, from what I could tell by walking around. I couldn't see any sign of leaks or water damage. The bath looks perfectly fine. Still has mostly copper pipes. All the light fixtures work. Their plastic lenses are all yellowed, though, and the owner said that he was unable to find replacements for them. (not a big deal.).

Tires are 3 years old, and look fine. Electric brakes were installed at the same time. I looked at the axels (read Andy's article at, and didn't see anything that was obviously out of order. There also didn't appear to be any sign of rear-end separation. The belly looked good for a 30 year old unit.

Someone told me recently here that gray-water tanks started in 73, but this one didn't have one. The owner showed me the sewer hookup in the back...looked fine. They only camp at places w/ full hook-ups, so its not an issue for them.

The trailer also has full length awnings on both sides...all the windows open and close like they should. The only thing I could see that will definately need addressing is the propane tanks...they look like they're in good shape, but they don't have OPDs on them. The valves, though, unlike my gas grill tank, look like they can be changed...perhaps you guys can clue me in on that. either way, it doesn't seem like a big deal.

So, they want $6000 for it. What do you think??

Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 08:36 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Sounds like a good deal to me. I paid $4,000 for a '72 31' and have had to put quite a bit of work into it, plumbing wise. I may have to replace my axles too, but they are fine for camping in a 200 mile radius, but not a 1300 mile trip to Florida. Ask them if you can hook the water up and check for leaks, and see if the cold water heating tank works. Fire up all the propane appliances too. The $6,000 sounds like a fair price.

2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 D/A Ext. Cab
Propane Powered Honda EU2000i
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 08:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Airstream began putting gray holding tanks on the 1973 31 foot Excella 500 which was the tricked out model for that year with all the cool options.

In 1974, and since then, all new manufactured Airstreams came with the gray holding tank.

AIR# 123

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 09:50 AM   #4

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Here's a pic.....

Any other comments, before I do something silly and spend all my $$$$

There's a few more pics here:

not the greatest pictures, but hey, I didn't take them. they'll give you the general idea....
Attached Images
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 10:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
looks like a nice unit with the potential to be owned for a while and lose little or no value. Maybe gain some as you even improve it.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 01:10 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

This trailer looks in great shape. I also have a 1973, 23 foot Safari. With a new refrig. and newer air conditioner and good tires, the price is about right. It doesn't hurt to offer less. Your's appears to be in better shape than mine. My trailer only has one awning, with some clearcoat wear on the top. I do have a 1X4 foot solor panel that works well. I am replacing the converter and all the cusions and need to fix the tambor doors also. All my utilities work fine. I had a leak where the antenna cable enters the roof. The insulation in the ceiling was like a sponge and shorted an inline wire crimp connector to the body. This caused my new battery to draw down. I sealed the leak and dried out the insulation. This cured my problem. I can't tell you the price of mine as my parents gave the Safari to me two years ago. I've always felt mine was worth about $5K. If you buy this trailer, lets keep in touch. It would be benefitial to both of us to compare notes from time to time. I live south of Seattle, in Wash. state.
Stougard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 06:43 PM   #7
1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
Fort Meade Md. RV park slot 8!! , Motorsports Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TheBigRedTruck
Hook the water up and check for leaks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheBigRedTruck is offline   Reply With Quote