Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2019, 09:06 PM   #1
Streaming Outlander

2019 27' International
Airstream - Other
Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
Smaller tow/chase vehicle idea - need ideas

So I’m thinking of ways to get into more choice spots with our new Sig Intl. 25FB. Together with our 18.7 ft Escalade we’d be well over the magic 40 foot combined length number for lots of places like most spots in Yosemite. Since I need an extra car (chase vehicle) anyway for the tenters in our family who follow us, I thought why not get a second smaller chase car with a hitch *just for the back ins*? I’d pull with the bigger longer power vehicle all the time, except when I pull in. Unhook and switch cars. I’d need small a shorter tow vehicle that can back in a 5500lb 25FB. What’s the best 15 foot tow vehicle for only parking in a 40 foot spot??? Thanks AS world!!
Bshnid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
15' vehicles are pretty dang small. The closest I can come up with are 2 door SUV's or 2 door with a small access door for rear seat.

Are you looking for SUV, sedan, or pickup? New or used?

Something like a 2-door Jeep Wranger or FJ cruiser?

Do they hold you to the strick 40' policy? Or perhaps 43' overhanging the space? Those 3' would be worth their weight in gold for a functional chase vehicle.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:04 AM   #3
Streaming Outlander

2019 27' International
Airstream - Other
Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
That’s the million $ question, will they let me and can I get into these spaces and risk the 16 hour drive to the spot.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:34 AM   #4
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Trailer Valet RVR

Often the limit on overall length has to do with the twists and turns of the campground roadways, not necessarily the site itself.

However, for manoeuvring into a tight spot you could use a Trailer Valet RVR .

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Valet RVR.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	331803
Old 01-16-2019, 09:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
I love my '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel). And I actually pull my 25' LandYacht with it (many, many trips across the country). It's not huge inside, but it is *tiny* outside (it's two feet shorter than my Prius!).
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:55 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Redding , California
VW Taureg

It's a hair over 15 feet. Love mine, tows great.
Leadvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:52 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bshnid View Post
So I’m thinking of ways to get into more choice spots with our new Sig Intl. 25FB. Together with our 18.7 ft Escalade we’d be well over the magic 40 foot combined length number for lots of places like most spots in Yosemite. Since I need an extra car (chase vehicle) anyway for the tenters in our family who follow us, I thought why not get a second smaller chase car with a hitch *just for the back ins*? I’d pull with the bigger longer power vehicle all the time, except when I pull in. Unhook and switch cars. I’d need small a shorter tow vehicle that can back in a 5500lb 25FB. What’s the best 15 foot tow vehicle for only parking in a 40 foot spot??? Thanks AS world!!
Guess I am wondering what the fuss is? Typically you can find a site that accommodates a 25', and unhook in most campgrounds....We never had a problem with any of our 3 -25' AS's over past 13 years--anywhere, including Yosemite, Yellowstone, Tetons, Glacier, Banff, etc..-- we always were able to find a site with a little investigating. I know sometimes they list a max-length in some parks, but call the park and talk with one of the "experienced" rangers and ask about trailer max length vs overall vehicle length with trailer attached. I know some on the reservation phones read from a script without ever even having visited the park.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:04 PM   #8
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
Don't worry about the total length, once unhitched you can usually park the tow vehicle at a slight diagonal angle and thus save a few feet of space, or park the tow vehicle in an adjacent parking lot. The chase vehicle will likely have to park elsewhere in the parking lot anyway. I have considered adding a hitch to the front of our Ram TV to be able to maneuver into the tighter spots at the older National Parks, the old parks were designed when trailers were smaller, and many lovely trees have grown and shrunk the spots further. Anyone added a front hitch? does it help? We are not RV park types of folks so at 23 feet we sometimes are tight in very wooded campgrounds.
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:44 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Hurley , New York
I have a friend that added a front hitch to a Dodge Ram for moving his boat around at home. Works great. Makes manuevering much easier. I added one to my front end loader to move the trailers and boats around at home. Got tired of the turns I had to make backing the boat into a shelter that wasn't straight in. You wont regret having it.
nuttinbutxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:15 PM   #10
Streaming Outlander

2019 27' International
Airstream - Other
Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
What a great community. Great suggestions!
Old 01-16-2019, 07:21 PM   #11
Streaming Outlander

2019 27' International
Airstream - Other
Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
$5,500++ wow. Expense little droid!
Old 01-16-2019, 07:24 PM   #12
Streaming Outlander

2019 27' International
Airstream - Other
Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
$5,500++ wow. Expense little droid!

Vs. $200-$300 for a front hitch...
Old 01-16-2019, 07:47 PM   #13
Streaming Outlander

2019 27' International
Airstream - Other
Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Vs. $200-$300 for a front hitch...

According to the 2017 Jeep Wrangler owner's manual, Sport model has different max weight capacities depending on the Jeep's axle ratio. For a 3.21 axle ratio, maximum tongue weight is 200 lbs and maximum gross trailer weight is 2,000 lbs. If you have a 3.73 axle ratio, max tongue weight is 350 lbs and max gross trailer weight is 3,500 lbs. this doesn’t seem doable for a 25FB. But I’d rather put 5k into a Jeep chase vehicle than a cool droid. A bit more usability.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
According to the 2017 Jeep Wrangler owner's manual, Sport model has different max weight capacities depending on the Jeep's axle ratio. For a 3.21 axle ratio, maximum tongue weight is 200 lbs and maximum gross trailer weight is 2,000 lbs. If you have a 3.73 axle ratio, max tongue weight is 350 lbs and max gross trailer weight is 3,500 lbs. this doesn’t seem doable for a 25FB. But I’d rather put 5k into a Jeep chase vehicle than a cool droid. A bit more usability.
With the 3.73 that doesn't sound too bad if you only tow it in the campground and keep it under 10 MPH.

Even better if it has a 2 speed transfer-case and you use low range. It's been a while since I looked at Jeeps, not sure if any new ones have 2 speed transfer-cases.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:47 PM   #15
Streaming Outlander

2019 27' International
Airstream - Other
Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
With the 3.73 that doesn't sound too bad if you only tow it in the campground and keep it under 10 MPH.

Even better if it has a 2 speed transfer-case and you use low range. It's been a while since I looked at Jeeps, not sure if any new ones have 2 speed transfer-cases.

Well, just checked, and with US-spec model, the 2019 Wrangler’s two four-wheel-drive systems: Command-Trac (on Sport and Sahara) and Rock-Trac (Rubicon) both feature the new Selec-Trac full-time two-speed transfer case.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:43 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Well, just checked, and with US-spec model, the 2019 Wrangler’s two four-wheel-drive systems: Command-Trac (on Sport and Sahara) and Rock-Trac (Rubicon) both feature the new Selec-Trac full-time two-speed transfer case.
That's good, I thought that Jeep would be the least likely one to stop using a 2 speed transfer case.

Might be a good idea to hook up the WD even for just in the campground to be as easy as possible on the suspension. If the receivers are different heights you might need to get a second hitch bar since, if they are not the same height you need to watch for clearance issues. If the receiver on the Jeep is lower it wouldn't be as bad (there would be less tongue weight).
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:41 PM   #17
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
We talked to a couple who tow an enclosed trailer with their Moho. The trailer is for a motorcycle and a 2 door jeep. The Jeep is fitted with air bags to enable it to handle the trailer as the Moho is difficult to manage with the trailer in tight environments. Sounds a lot like your situation. Would not recommend the short Jeeps as a normal TV, but for this, maybe a very good solution.

If you don't like Jeeps, about any car that is capable of hard high power launches could be set up for your requirements with air shocks/bags and a custom hitch. How many ways can you say fun - pony car, convertible, hot rod ..... ???

Good luck with the investigation and research. The hunt could be as much fun as the implementation. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:02 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
A local RV park lists length and width restrictions on the internet. But they have plenty of room. They just got tired of rookies that can't drive their rig complaining.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote