Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2017, 12:22 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
My cat LOVES camping. I also stopped telling anyone I have a pet. I made that mistake at Fort Wilderness and got in a horrible dog park. My cat does not go outside EVER so as far as the park is concerned, she is not there. She loves romping through the trailer and is more playful than at home. She likes to look out the front and back windows too. When in the truck, I used to use a pet taxi and she hated it. MEOW. Now I just carry her to the truck and let her go where she wants except for my footwell. I put the litter box, food and water in the back for her and I purchased a pet seat cover for the back seat.

If I may suggest to you something- a different choice of model? What about a 22 Sport? You gain more space and you also get a gray tank. In used models, something like the Safari 20" is great too. Also, the Safari '19 has a gray tank and a closet. Lots of counter space. I understand the single combo tank can be a pain to deal with. My purchase process went from Winnebago View to Airstream 20 then 25 (new) then used Safari 25. I changed a lot before finally getting one. I just retired this year but am STILL playing catch-up with my time before getting out more on the road at least part-time.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:23 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Yes!!! I'm thinking about the FC19 with bunk bed, so they can climb up there like a tree house for them. I don't like about the sport 22 because there's no rear view unless in the bathroom area. FC20 has a very nice kitchen gallery but I prefer to have a sleeping & lounging area at the opposite end to capture the best view. That's another reason why I love the Bambi 16 floor plan. My truck can only pull up to 5K lbs, so anything over 22 is out of the questions. Thanks for all the feedbacks including the litter box & harness
SHalim88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:24 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Our cats were happy to be wherever their humans were.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:46 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
A different topics away from cats, what's the best floor plan for under 5K towing airstream RV.
It's going to be mainly one person plus 2 adult cats. Occasionally, may have a guest or two to join for a few days, not my main concern. I like the Sport 22 but wish they have a reversed floor plan with the bathroom in front. Still the best floor plan is Bambi 16 with a split plan between the bed & lounging area. Maybe the new 2018 Nest could be the answer!! Any thoughts?
Old 10-01-2017, 12:53 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
Don't for get the 20' !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHalim88 View Post
This morning, I just saw a video of Tommy Bahamas 19 foot, I'm already drooling about the mini bar & wine rack area. I just don't care much about the corner bed setting. For 22 ft, I don't understand why they block the entire back area for a restroom, I heard that the back area has the best view!! 25 ft is way too big for me which has a nice floor plan IMO. I want to have unobstructed front & rear view! So 16 foot is the best option so far unless they will come out with a similar floor plan in 2020.
Don't forget to look at the 20' The galley is what sold us!
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 01:03 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
St auguatine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallye View Post
Don't forget to look at the 20' The galley is what sold us!

That is one of many reasons I caved and bought the interstate: great open back and side with windows all around.
carpenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 01:37 PM   #47
halfloaf

2018 16' Sport
Cary , NC
Like you, I love the 16! Went full-time about 1 month ago- myself and 1 bunny. I thought the bed looked like a lovely lounging area and it is, so I don't miss a couch. I work at the dinette, but if you're retired you could leave that as a couch. I've made up for not having an oven by using an Instant Pot, which with pot-in-pot is basically an oven. Nothing between a 16 and a 25 temps me... if I ever were to go up (can't see why I would right now... and I can do u-turns!) it would be to a 25. But living in a 25 would be like living in a house compared to an efficiency apartment and I moved out of a house on purpose!
halfloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:01 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Thank you so much!! So glad to hear from an Airstream 16 full timer! At this time, I’m down to between 16 or 22, due to my current TV (Honda Ridgeline) with 5K max lbs. I like 16 & 25 floorplan the best but 25 is way too big!
Old 10-28-2017, 09:56 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Oh yeah! I love my InstantPot & Philips Airfryer & Philips pasta maker, they are the only trio cookware that I used everyday! Love them all, best little appliances.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:17 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Hey, SHalim88,

You have some interesting posts to your questions. I believe what really matters is budget and what you can stand to do lifestyle-wise. I know that for me, if I were going to go full-time, even as a single, I would need at least a 23, more to the 25 or even 28. It is because of being my only abode and store for my things. I have often thought of necessities versus wants based on lifestyle and I like to cook, compute, watch movies (large library) and then there are the recreational things with gear that requires space and of course food, clothing, etc. It depends. you can travel the world with an overnight bag or a trunk. I've met people who did it with a small carry-on. They washed daily and had a routine specific to such travel. Anything is doable but compromise is the result of the degree to which you carry it out. By the time you get to this venture, you may get a different tow vehicle which would open up even more possibilities.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:44 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Thanks RodsterinFL!
As much as I wanted the 25FB (love the floor plan), I prefer to keep it under 22 Ft Trailer. I won't have any collections for book, music or movies, all will be online. I purged more stuff yesterday for Greendrop to pick up today, I am so happy to see my progress lately. I had over 30 pair of shoes and now down to only 3 pair of shoes! Yeah!!!
My eye is still looking for 16 Bambi, and possibly 22 if a must for space and non-wet bath. I will keep my Honda Ridgeline although my budget is not an issue for me. I barely drive my car, since I live in the city (walk to work, food, etc.). I will still have my home base, but will rent it out as a supplementary income. I can't wait for early August 2020!!
Old 10-30-2017, 05:31 PM   #52
halfloaf

2018 16' Sport
Cary , NC
Btw, the most useful thing I did with the 16was to get a teak mat for the wetbath, an idea I got from Airforums:
https://www.teakworks4u.com/collecti...iAAEgJsOvD_BwE

One takes it out to take a shower and then after letting the shower dry a little put it back in and voila, dry floor for use as a bathroom. I actually had the mat before I had the Airstream, LOL.

When people tour my house I'm like "you have to look at my teak mat it's the best thing ever" and they're like "I need to go wash my cat now." LOLOLOLOL
Old 10-31-2017, 06:02 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Halfloaf!!! LOL about washing my car comment ��
Thanks for the teak mat link! What size did you get? That's a great idea to make the floor dry after showering! I'm so happy to hear that there are some people living full-time in the Bambi 16, such an encouraging news. BTW 19 is out, I don't care about the corner bed floor plan. Love 16 or 25 FB, going for the 16 if I were buying now.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:34 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Well, sounds like you have a plan. It really is all about those two things but for you, as you share, the one issue- compromise of space. If you can do that a whole world of options opens as it has for many- vans, base camps and Bambi sized trailers.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:51 AM   #55
halfloaf

2018 16' Sport
Cary , NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHalim88 View Post
Halfloaf!!! LOL about washing my car comment ��
Thanks for the teak mat link! What size did you get? That's a great idea to make the floor dry after showering! I'm so happy to hear that there are some people living full-time in the Bambi 16, such an encouraging news. BTW 19 is out, I don't care about the corner bed floor plan. Love 16 or 25 FB, going for the 16 if I were buying now.
They make it the exact shape of the floor of your bathroom. You just tell them what model/year you've got and they're all over it. It says to allow for something like 3 months shipping, which is why I ordered mine so early, but mine came in a week. I guess 3 months shipping is for "custom" work and maybe a known model isn't custom...
Old 11-01-2017, 09:24 AM   #56
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Thanks RodsterinFL
Basecamp won't be my choice, they don't have a full time bed setup and I don't think I can live inside a van. I wanted a nice comfort living at the most condensed space capsule still with decent storage. Bambi 16 or 22 would be my choice!
Old 11-01-2017, 09:27 AM   #57
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Thanks Halfloaf!! Great to know it's customized to fit on the floor. I think Airstream should add this into every wet bath model
Still can't decide either 16 or 22, the price is not too much difference.

Tags
bambi 16 full time