Old 09-28-2017, 03:14 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Yeah!! My old neighbor walked with his cat everyday without a leashed on, amazing cat!!
I still think I'm going with a Bambi 16 or FC 19 with bunk bed where for my two kitties suite LOL. I don't like a dining area too close to the sleeping area like the 20-22 model. 23 & up is too heavy for my Honda Ridgeline (towing capacity 5000)

Old 09-28-2017, 03:27 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The cats will sleep in the dinette booth. The bunk would provide more storage or sleeping for guests.
The cats may also sleep in the bed under the cover like humans do...
My black cat did...

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 03:33 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Yes! I like the extra storage area from the bunk bed, but not sure I would like a corner bed. Bambi 16 is still my favorite one and I'm hoping they will offer both front & rear panoramic windows. Love the international Bambi 16, but they stop it after 2012. I hope they will bring it back in 2020.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:02 PM   #32
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
The most important thing, in my opinion, when traveling with cats (I have a tuxedo cat named Sylvia that just completed a 16-day, four-campground, 1200-mile trip with me) is to make sure there are no void spaces that the cat can get into but not get back out of. Especially moveable furniture like sofa/beds can have void spaces in one configuration but not in another. Having to partially dismantle the Airstream to rescue a cat would be no fun.

I haven't needed to (so far), but a fellow Airstreamer couple of my acquaintance did have to tear their bed apart to rescue their cat. They now stuff those void spaces with Styrofoam blocks to keep the cat out of them.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:15 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Good to know! Thanks for pointing this out, but my kitties are too fat to get into those void spaces. They are 16 & 22 lbs.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:24 PM   #34

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHalim88 View Post
Good to know! Thanks for pointing this out, but my kitties are too fat to get into those void spaces. They are 16 & 22 lbs.
My cat is 12 pounds. The one that got stuck was only 7 pounds.

But even for your plus-size furrballs, it's something to watch out for. If they really try, most cats can squeeze into any opening big enough to fit their head through— going forward. But if they can't turn around inside, they may not be able to back out through the same opening.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 09-28-2017, 06:09 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The black cat always got under the covers.
The brindle cat always went behind the couch and got in the drawer under the couch.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-28-2017, 06:28 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
If they really try, most cats can squeeze into any opening big enough to fit their head through— going forward. But if they can't turn around inside, they may not be able to back out through the same opening.
Happened with my dog too... spent four hours looking for her - even saddled a horse and went out looking. Hours later herd a slight whimper and found her in the little "alleyway" between two barns. She'd gone in easily but couldn't back out. Every time she tried her bum would hit a receptacle and she'd go forward again. Damnedest thing.

Have also searched for a dog that I could hear whimpering but couldn't find. Sounded like she was stuck under the couch, but not. She had gotten through a tiny crawl space and was stuck under the house.

Oh --- sorry for interrupting this post..

I love the little Bambi but hot dang, there is no floor space. Probably not too much of an issue with cats but a second person or large dog and you're just always on top of each other. And that's probably not a problem until something goes wrong and patience is low... is that TMI?

Cheers
2006 F-150 Lariat QuadCrew
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:36 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
LOL, it would be myself 95% of the time, may have a few visitors once in a while. My cats sleep a lot and I don't think they would have any problems with the space. I would put the dining area as a lounge, under it I can put their litter box and dry food & drink. The more video I look at, I'm quite sure I will settle down with Bambi 16, and possibly the 19 FC with bunk bed. Definitely not going over 20.
I will make sure there's no void space around...., It's good to know from your stories.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:38 AM   #38

2012 Interstate Coach
You also need to consider how your cats will ride while in transit. For me it was easy, given that my Interstate is a motorhome, and so the cat didn't have to be transferred from truck to trailer as yours will be. I would not recommend letting the cats ride in the trailer while it's in motion. They may have catlike reflexes and be able to handle the motion of the trailer, but from a humane perspective it's best to keep the cats with their person. They don't need food while you're driving, but they do need water and kitty litter in the tow vehicle, unless their bowels work on a schedule and can wait until you stop to let them out like with a dog.

While in transit (and camping, too) I find that a disposable litter box like this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0143J7G5U...506666622&sr=1

work very well, and makes cleanup easy. Just fold it up around the used kitty litter, and throw it away. Use a clumping litter, and scoop out solids daily, and one box can last you a week.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 09-29-2017, 03:28 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Transferring the cats from truck to trailer was never a problem.
We could always pick our cats up and carry them like a human child.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-29-2017, 11:51 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
SW , Colorado
We use the Crazy K Farm Kitty Holster. They are heavy duty and washable. As long as they are on fairly tight, it is hard for a cat to wriggle out of this harness. Since they are bulky, it took some time for the cats to adapt but now they are fine walking around in them. We are still careful to always keep the cats in front of us since backing out of the harness is the only possible way a cat could escape from it.
TwoSporks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 12:22 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
My cat LOVES camping. I also stopped telling anyone I have a pet. I made that mistake at Fort Wilderness and got in a horrible dog park. My cat does not go outside EVER so as far as the park is concerned, she is not there. She loves romping through the trailer and is more playful than at home. She likes to look out the front and back windows too. When in the truck, I used to use a pet taxi and she hated it. MEOW. Now I just carry her to the truck and let her go where she wants except for my footwell. I put the litter box, food and water in the back for her and I purchased a pet seat cover for the back seat.

If I may suggest to you something- a different choice of model? What about a 22 Sport? You gain more space and you also get a gray tank. In used models, something like the Safari 20" is great too. Also, the Safari '19 has a gray tank and a closet. Lots of counter space. I understand the single combo tank can be a pain to deal with. My purchase process went from Winnebago View to Airstream 20 then 25 (new) then used Safari 25. I changed a lot before finally getting one. I just retired this year but am STILL playing catch-up with my time before getting out more on the road at least part-time.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:23 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Yes!!! I'm thinking about the FC19 with bunk bed, so they can climb up there like a tree house for them. I don't like about the sport 22 because there's no rear view unless in the bathroom area. FC20 has a very nice kitchen gallery but I prefer to have a sleeping & lounging area at the opposite end to capture the best view. That's another reason why I love the Bambi 16 floor plan. My truck can only pull up to 5K lbs, so anything over 22 is out of the questions. Thanks for all the feedbacks including the litter box & harness

Tags
bambi 16 full time