Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2017, 06:30 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Yes!! I will take the RVBC and maybe look for one that's dedicated to Airstreamers. I don't think I will buy other than airstream trailer. Thanks for the feedbacks.
SHalim88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:47 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSporks View Post
Don't let people discourage you! Unless someone has traveled with a cat and it didn't work, I do not consider advice from inexperienced naysayers to be very helpful.

Our cats have been full-time Airstreamers for more than a year and before that, traveled with us on months-long trips. We stay mostly in public campgrounds or on public lands and thus have never had an issue with RV park rules. We also do not travel to places where it will get too hot in the trailer. The Airstream stays much cooler than a car would, so we are fine up to 85 degrees in most campsites and even 90 degrees for a day or two if we have decent shade and the ability to get good airflow through the trailer. We do not leave for long stretches in the middle of the day during hot weather, instead doing activities like hiking and site-seeing in the afternoon.

We also stay in places for at least a week. Our cats like the camping part but do not love the driving part so we seek to minimize the number of times we bring them in the car to go place to place. Some cats do get carsick, so plan your route carefully to avoid the windy mountain roads or see your vet about anti-nausea drugs or a mild sedative. This is one key to our cats being happy campers... If we were driving them around every couple of days, I think it would be too stressful for them so a week or two in a place works best for us (and is generally a more enjoyable way to travel in an Airstream for us, too).

Since you are thinking about a Bambi, you might also want to get them used to walking on a leash so they can get some fresh air. We have heavy-duty cat harnesses that are very difficult to get out of and we are careful about walking them away from dogs and wildlife. They enjoy being outside and stretching their legs (not much actual walking happens - more fits and starts of movement and flopping on the ground). Get started with this kind of acclimation now - it will make it easier when you are ready to start traveling.

Our cats were 11 when we started traveling with them and they have seen more states than most people. Assuming your cats can adapt, you can make this work for you with the advice in this thread!
We've been looking for a really good cat harness but the ones we've tried so far allow the cat to back out somewhat easily. Which one do you use?
wareaglewalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:23 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
We have used the same harness for 2 cats.
They haven't really tried too hard to get out of it, but it goes in front of and behind the front legs with 2 straps that come up over the shoulders onto the back.
The cats just look up at us like "What's this thing on me?"
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 01:10 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
This style is what I've for my kitties:
https://theanimalrescuesite.greaterg...d_image=168166
Old 09-28-2017, 01:48 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
16ft Bambi, 2 cats, and full timing???...Very ambitious. On the other hand, you'll be down to one or zero cats within the first couple of weeks since inevitably they'll escape. I left Hailey for the East Coast with 3 cats in my AS...40 miles later stopped to ask them if they needed anything. One squirmed past me as I opened the door....gone. Called the wife...told her we'd be out of cats in another 100 miles at this rate. But a year later...after posting fliers etc...we found her living with "the local catlady". I'm not sure there are a lot of local cat ladies" in the woods and mountains where you'll camp. In any case, safe travels when the time comes. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 01:52 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wareaglewalt View Post
We've been looking for a really good cat harness but the ones we've tried so far allow the cat to back out somewhat easily. Which one do you use?
https://theanimalrescuesite.greaterg...d_image=168166

I have this harness for my cats, they haven't been able to escspe yet. It's quite durable!!
Old 09-28-2017, 02:11 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
My two male orange cats are super friendly, they wouldn't escape and completely disappear. They may try to escape and then lay on their back for belly rubs ��
I plan to make my towing truck as main storage area. Time will tell ����
Old 09-28-2017, 02:29 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Our female black cat who traveled with us for several years was not an escape risk at all.
If we took her outside, she came back to the door to be let back in.
We also had a brindle cat and a tortoise shell cat who never tried to escape.
We saw a camp host at Jeff Busby campground on the Natchez Trace with 2 cats that heeled like dogs. When he walked, the cats walked. When he stopped, the cats stopped.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-28-2017, 03:14 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Yeah!! My old neighbor walked with his cat everyday without a leashed on, amazing cat!!
I still think I'm going with a Bambi 16 or FC 19 with bunk bed where for my two kitties suite LOL. I don't like a dining area too close to the sleeping area like the 20-22 model. 23 & up is too heavy for my Honda Ridgeline (towing capacity 5000)
Old 09-28-2017, 03:27 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The cats will sleep in the dinette booth. The bunk would provide more storage or sleeping for guests.
The cats may also sleep in the bed under the cover like humans do...
My black cat did...
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-28-2017, 03:33 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Yes! I like the extra storage area from the bunk bed, but not sure I would like a corner bed. Bambi 16 is still my favorite one and I'm hoping they will offer both front & rear panoramic windows. Love the international Bambi 16, but they stop it after 2012. I hope they will bring it back in 2020.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:02 PM   #32
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
The most important thing, in my opinion, when traveling with cats (I have a tuxedo cat named Sylvia that just completed a 16-day, four-campground, 1200-mile trip with me) is to make sure there are no void spaces that the cat can get into but not get back out of. Especially moveable furniture like sofa/beds can have void spaces in one configuration but not in another. Having to partially dismantle the Airstream to rescue a cat would be no fun.

I haven't needed to (so far), but a fellow Airstreamer couple of my acquaintance did have to tear their bed apart to rescue their cat. They now stuff those void spaces with Styrofoam blocks to keep the cat out of them.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:15 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Good to know! Thanks for pointing this out, but my kitties are too fat to get into those void spaces. They are 16 & 22 lbs.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:24 PM   #34

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHalim88 View Post
Good to know! Thanks for pointing this out, but my kitties are too fat to get into those void spaces. They are 16 & 22 lbs.
My cat is 12 pounds. The one that got stuck was only 7 pounds.

But even for your plus-size furrballs, it's something to watch out for. If they really try, most cats can squeeze into any opening big enough to fit their head through— going forward. But if they can't turn around inside, they may not be able to back out through the same opening.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:09 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The black cat always got under the covers.
The brindle cat always went behind the couch and got in the drawer under the couch.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-28-2017, 06:28 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
If they really try, most cats can squeeze into any opening big enough to fit their head through— going forward. But if they can't turn around inside, they may not be able to back out through the same opening.
Happened with my dog too... spent four hours looking for her - even saddled a horse and went out looking. Hours later herd a slight whimper and found her in the little "alleyway" between two barns. She'd gone in easily but couldn't back out. Every time she tried her bum would hit a receptacle and she'd go forward again. Damnedest thing.

Have also searched for a dog that I could hear whimpering but couldn't find. Sounded like she was stuck under the couch, but not. She had gotten through a tiny crawl space and was stuck under the house.

Oh --- sorry for interrupting this post..

I love the little Bambi but hot dang, there is no floor space. Probably not too much of an issue with cats but a second person or large dog and you're just always on top of each other. And that's probably not a problem until something goes wrong and patience is low... is that TMI?

Cheers
2006 F-150 Lariat QuadCrew
AIR 31804
WBCCI 10718
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:36 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
LOL, it would be myself 95% of the time, may have a few visitors once in a while. My cats sleep a lot and I don't think they would have any problems with the space. I would put the dining area as a lounge, under it I can put their litter box and dry food & drink. The more video I look at, I'm quite sure I will settle down with Bambi 16, and possibly the 19 FC with bunk bed. Definitely not going over 20.
I will make sure there's no void space around...., It's good to know from your stories.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:38 AM   #38

2012 Interstate Coach
You also need to consider how your cats will ride while in transit. For me it was easy, given that my Interstate is a motorhome, and so the cat didn't have to be transferred from truck to trailer as yours will be. I would not recommend letting the cats ride in the trailer while it's in motion. They may have catlike reflexes and be able to handle the motion of the trailer, but from a humane perspective it's best to keep the cats with their person. They don't need food while you're driving, but they do need water and kitty litter in the tow vehicle, unless their bowels work on a schedule and can wait until you stop to let them out like with a dog.

While in transit (and camping, too) I find that a disposable litter box like this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0143J7G5U...506666622&sr=1

work very well, and makes cleanup easy. Just fold it up around the used kitty litter, and throw it away. Use a clumping litter, and scoop out solids daily, and one box can last you a week.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:28 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Transferring the cats from truck to trailer was never a problem.
We could always pick our cats up and carry them like a human child.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-29-2017, 11:51 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
SW , Colorado
We use the Crazy K Farm Kitty Holster. They are heavy duty and washable. As long as they are on fairly tight, it is hard for a cat to wriggle out of this harness. Since they are bulky, it took some time for the cats to adapt but now they are fine walking around in them. We are still careful to always keep the cats in front of us since backing out of the harness is the only possible way a cat could escape from it.
TwoSporks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bambi 16 full time