Old 09-27-2017, 12:05 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2006 22' Parkway
Poughkeepsie , New York
Fear of towing

As long as your vehicle can handle the weight, I wouldn't jump into a brand new 16' foot Airstream until you have experienced that size. As a single woman, I started out with a 27' Argosy because of the aerodynamic design. Airstream no longer makes the Argosy but has the same design. I never FELT like I was towing something. The ride is amazing and I think you will soon find that out. I later got an Airstream and loved both of them. You may not want to go up to the size that has two axels, but they are so much easier to back than a single axel, but with practice you can do it. If you can, rent an Airstream and try it out. I have no idea where, but it is worth looking into. You might be better off getting a used Airstream until you find out what you really want. Also, it might be a good idea to get some towing lessons. I know the Escapees club has a boot camp that helps you learn everything about your RV. I believe they are now offering their "boot camp" on line. Sometimes, the big rallies give help on learning how to be comforted with your RV. However, if you are apprehend about starting out, you should look for some lessons in the beginning. Have faith, you can do it!!!

Old 09-27-2017, 12:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
We traveled with a cat 4 years till she died without an issue.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 03:28 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Orleans , Massachusetts
Full timing in Bambi w/cats

We travel with two cats in a 25' and they are very much at home as we are. A Bambi would give them less room but I don't think that would be a problem. You will have to sacrifice space for their litter box and if the kitties are young, or older like mine, you need to provide toys and some physical activity. Like a laser pointer or scratch pads, etc. I'd be more concerned about checking out the trailer for you, especially if you'll be living in it. Those smaller trailers have a bed that is difficult to say the least, to change the sheets and remake. Look at all the different elements in your new home and think through how it will work for you. Good luck!
Old 09-27-2017, 05:31 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSporks View Post
Don't let people discourage you! Unless someone has traveled with a cat and it didn't work, I do not consider advice from inexperienced naysayers to be very helpful.

Our cats have been full-time Airstreamers for more than a year and before that, traveled with us on months-long trips. We stay mostly in public campgrounds or on public lands and thus have never had an issue with RV park rules. We also do not travel to places where it will get too hot in the trailer. The Airstream stays much cooler than a car would, so we are fine up to 85 degrees in most campsites and even 90 degrees for a day or two if we have decent shade and the ability to get good airflow through the trailer. We do not leave for long stretches in the middle of the day during hot weather, instead doing activities like hiking and site-seeing in the afternoon.

We also stay in places for at least a week. Our cats like the camping part but do not love the driving part so we seek to minimize the number of times we bring them in the car to go place to place. Some cats do get carsick, so plan your route carefully to avoid the windy mountain roads or see your vet about anti-nausea drugs or a mild sedative. This is one key to our cats being happy campers... If we were driving them around every couple of days, I think it would be too stressful for them so a week or two in a place works best for us (and is generally a more enjoyable way to travel in an Airstream for us, too).

Since you are thinking about a Bambi, you might also want to get them used to walking on a leash so they can get some fresh air. We have heavy-duty cat harnesses that are very difficult to get out of and we are careful about walking them away from dogs and wildlife. They enjoy being outside and stretching their legs (not much actual walking happens - more fits and starts of movement and flopping on the ground). Get started with this kind of acclimation now - it will make it easier when you are ready to start traveling.

Our cats were 11 when we started traveling with them and they have seen more states than most people. Assuming your cats can adapt, you can make this work for you with the advice in this thread!
Thank you so much for cats info. Yes! I've one harness that one of my cat would enjoy to walk with and the other one not so much yet...
I wouldn't leave my kitties for airstream living, don't worry! Cats first before my new lifestyle..., that can wait at the worst case. I love the airstream community, all of you have been so helpful. Can't wait to take my first trip in 3 years!!
Old 09-27-2017, 07:39 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Thanks to so many of you have many great advice. I will look both new & used and also other size with open minded. Taking a lesson towing a trailer is another great idea, never thought there's such a course. I definitely need to plan more details and maybe renting a small airstreams for a week trip to start with. I'm very grateful to be part of this forum.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:31 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Center Moriches , New York
You're wise to be planning this far in advance! The single best thing you can do is to find and attend an RV Boot Camp. Mistakes made with RVs are often costly and, sometimes dangerous. At RVBC you, along with ~ 200 other newbies, will receive an EXCELLENT education about all the systems found on a modern RV. RVBC graduates are safer RVers and, smarter RV buyers. The Escapees RV Club run a great RVBC, often over a weekend. Other groups also offer RVBC, some as long as eight days (more socializing). Some insurance companies offer discounts to RVBC grads too. At RVBC, you'll also have the opportunity to see MANY different RVs and, speak with the owners after class hours.

I wish I had started downsizing MUCH sooner. It can be an amazingly difficult task. It's amazing how much "stuff" we all seem to amass.

Good luck in your planning, RVing is a wonderful lifestyle.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:30 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Yes!! I will take the RVBC and maybe look for one that's dedicated to Airstreamers. I don't think I will buy other than airstream trailer. Thanks for the feedbacks.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:47 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denham Springs , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSporks View Post
Don't let people discourage you! Unless someone has traveled with a cat and it didn't work, I do not consider advice from inexperienced naysayers to be very helpful.

Our cats have been full-time Airstreamers for more than a year and before that, traveled with us on months-long trips. We stay mostly in public campgrounds or on public lands and thus have never had an issue with RV park rules. We also do not travel to places where it will get too hot in the trailer. The Airstream stays much cooler than a car would, so we are fine up to 85 degrees in most campsites and even 90 degrees for a day or two if we have decent shade and the ability to get good airflow through the trailer. We do not leave for long stretches in the middle of the day during hot weather, instead doing activities like hiking and site-seeing in the afternoon.

We also stay in places for at least a week. Our cats like the camping part but do not love the driving part so we seek to minimize the number of times we bring them in the car to go place to place. Some cats do get carsick, so plan your route carefully to avoid the windy mountain roads or see your vet about anti-nausea drugs or a mild sedative. This is one key to our cats being happy campers... If we were driving them around every couple of days, I think it would be too stressful for them so a week or two in a place works best for us (and is generally a more enjoyable way to travel in an Airstream for us, too).

Since you are thinking about a Bambi, you might also want to get them used to walking on a leash so they can get some fresh air. We have heavy-duty cat harnesses that are very difficult to get out of and we are careful about walking them away from dogs and wildlife. They enjoy being outside and stretching their legs (not much actual walking happens - more fits and starts of movement and flopping on the ground). Get started with this kind of acclimation now - it will make it easier when you are ready to start traveling.

Our cats were 11 when we started traveling with them and they have seen more states than most people. Assuming your cats can adapt, you can make this work for you with the advice in this thread!
We've been looking for a really good cat harness but the ones we've tried so far allow the cat to back out somewhat easily. Which one do you use?
Old 09-28-2017, 09:23 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
We have used the same harness for 2 cats.
They haven't really tried too hard to get out of it, but it goes in front of and behind the front legs with 2 straps that come up over the shoulders onto the back.
The cats just look up at us like "What's this thing on me?"
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-28-2017, 01:10 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
This style is what I've for my kitties:
https://theanimalrescuesite.greaterg...d_image=168166
Old 09-28-2017, 01:48 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
16ft Bambi, 2 cats, and full timing???...Very ambitious. On the other hand, you'll be down to one or zero cats within the first couple of weeks since inevitably they'll escape. I left Hailey for the East Coast with 3 cats in my AS...40 miles later stopped to ask them if they needed anything. One squirmed past me as I opened the door....gone. Called the wife...told her we'd be out of cats in another 100 miles at this rate. But a year later...after posting fliers etc...we found her living with "the local catlady". I'm not sure there are a lot of local cat ladies" in the woods and mountains where you'll camp. In any case, safe travels when the time comes. jon
Old 09-28-2017, 01:52 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wareaglewalt View Post
We've been looking for a really good cat harness but the ones we've tried so far allow the cat to back out somewhat easily. Which one do you use?
https://theanimalrescuesite.greaterg...d_image=168166

I have this harness for my cats, they haven't been able to escspe yet. It's quite durable!!
Old 09-28-2017, 02:11 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
My two male orange cats are super friendly, they wouldn't escape and completely disappear. They may try to escape and then lay on their back for belly rubs ��
I plan to make my towing truck as main storage area. Time will tell ����
Old 09-28-2017, 02:29 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Our female black cat who traveled with us for several years was not an escape risk at all.
If we took her outside, she came back to the door to be let back in.
We also had a brindle cat and a tortoise shell cat who never tried to escape.
We saw a camp host at Jeff Busby campground on the Natchez Trace with 2 cats that heeled like dogs. When he walked, the cats walked. When he stopped, the cats stopped.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955

Tags
bambi 16 full time