Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

west orange , New Jersey
Signed up with 3 under 3

I Finally decided on a new 27' Flying Cloud which I will be paying for for the next 15 years. I decided to pull the trigger because, well, as some say, there is no time like the present (even if you need to finance). Especially as it relates to my young family with 3 children under 3. Yes they are young and a huge challenge, but these years are fleeting. So, here I am. Now what? We do have our first trip in the works New Jersey to Florida, but no plans other than to arrive in florida for holidays with a departure from NJ around December 20.

So... any suggestions regarding must see destinations or favorite spots along the way at this time of year.
And any recommendations for a new RVer: books, subscriptions or hints.

Thanks
famlyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Do a short checkout trip - maybe a driveway campout - try not to cheat and go to the house for anything for two days/ one night. Just a test, check out all the systems, get comfortable with the appliances. With that young a family, and everything new - you will save some of the frustration of learning without the added burden of being on the road.

You made a very good choice. Enjoy the time with the family. They will always remember it.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Congratulations on your brand new trailer!

And wow, congrats on the big/little family, too.

I can mention that since you are probably going to go past Savannah, that is a nice place to spend a day, or maybe two. It just drips beauty and history.

Of course, there isn't much there for the younger-than-three set, but that's not surprising, is it? You can take a wonderful narrated bus tour of the old city, and it's a hop-on, hop-off thing. See something you like, stop for a while, then get back on the bus again when another one comes along.

All in all a nice pace, one you can all enjoy.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
fam, we were fortunate enough to have a small lakehouse nearby to raise our young family. But if I had it to do over again, it would have been with an Airstream.

Make sure you record the great memories that you and your family are going to go through; even when the kids are older and you find them saying."do we really have to go camping this weekend"?

My oldest used to say that with the lakehouse, and now for her, it's one of her fondest memories.

Congrats on your families new "memory maker"!

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
We had 6 kids and had to suffice with a pop-up. The AS a real pleasure and we use it to ViSIT the kids and 20 grandchildren

To err is human. To arrrrrrr is pirate.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
I can tell you that it amazes me every trip how much stuff we take for our 5 month old. It's crazy. I wish you the best with 3. Enjoy it. Hopefully ours will have a childhood full of memories from the airstream.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:52 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Sonoma/Napa Wine Country , Northern California
Tips:
You can start with Newbies Guide to Airstreaming, available direct from Rich/Airstream Life, Amazon, etc. From there you can try a current issue or subscription to AS Life. We wrote our own how to/check list (ended up being like 20 pages). Hardest thing is every model, year, AV, etc. is different with own quirks. Biggest thing is learning to avoid the common errors that cause big $ damage/problems (or safety issues with kids). I thoroughly 2nd the tip about doing a dry run at home-must have laptop/forums/google!

The other great challenge will be juggling the kids, from feeding to storage & those "accidents" we thanklessly scurry to the washing machine at home for. I've camped solo with three 3 year olds in a 16' Bambi, and with spouse + two 2 year olds & 2 teens in a 19' and 25' Internationals... So you're 27' should be downright spacious Any combo is manageable if you have an adventurous spirit! Remember to keep the kids busy/active out of the AS, when towing plan on not getting anywhere fast & give yourself a nice buffer between your afternoon arrival and when kids are going to meltdown for naps/food. Hardest time for us is those arrival/departures when kids don't want to be in car seats & you need both parents for backing-up, etc.

There's a lot of great young families here that took the leap on the cost/payoff & are having a truly priceless time figuring it all out with their kids in tow. Congratulations & enjoy!
Aspirations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:56 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

west orange , New Jersey
Wow
Thanks to all for the Well Wishes and advice. I am a new member here, and... its comforting to have this resource. I hope to feel similarly comfortable in our new Airstream. Will keep up with postings.
famlyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Been trying to think about the problems that new RVers have faced around here. Of course, there are the usual factory snafus that one ALWAYS sees with white-sided rigs, but are hardly impossible with Airstreams as well. That's why it's important to do some short-term camping before you go out on a major voyage.

Beyond that, common complaints I've observed among new RVers are that the RV doesn't have a large enough water heater and that the RV's black/grey tanks are so small. It takes folks a while to figure out how to be water convervative, in and out.

Lynn
Old 11-17-2011, 07:49 AM   #10

2012 27' FB International
Bend , Oregon
We pick-up our new International Serenity 27FB on Saturday (November 19)! We too have small children (2.5-year old son and 12-week old daughter...also have our loving Bernese Mountain Dog ) and look forward to traveling with the whole "gang" in our new Airstream. We're planning a number of trips in the rear future including a visit to Grandma's place in Las Vegas for Thanksgiving. After the Thanksgiving holiday we plan to tour AZ and So Cal before heading back to Oregon for the Christmas holiday. We plan to start a blog specifically about the joys, challenges, and tips we learn/discover as the whole family travels in our new International. The blog, called "Stream'in Babies," should be up and running by mid-December (www.gammackfamily.com). We hope to share some great stories, photography, as well as "lessons learned" for those traveling in their Airstreams with a young family. Stay tuned...should be fun!!!
GamFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:27 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
Enjoy!

As I type we're enjoying our first real trip in our 27FB International, I did buy it 2200 miles from home and towed it home so of course we camped in it for about 10 days but this is the first "pleasure" trip.

Two things:
First you've got a great machine, if you enjoy it half as much as we enjoy our 27' Airstream it's be great. Don't have 3 little kids but I'm sitting in the back at the dinette while my wife sleeps in the bedroom undisturbed by my web surfing. The 27' is just a perfect size, not too long and unwieldy but room to stretch out with a big enough kitchen to prepare a real meal.

Second we did the trip down the East Coast this summer prior to buying the Airstream in a class "B" motorhome. There is just so much to see but Charleston and Savannah are must see destinations. As far as weather this time of the year - no idea.

Just enjoy the new purchase and don't worry about the payment that go until 2036

https://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:44 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Good luck on your new airstream!
I am in south georgia just north of the florida line. It was 83 degrees here yesterday, i would expect temps to be in the mid 70's for a while.
As for places to stop, look at jekyll island, ga (off exit 29) (st simons island is close by. Jekyll is low key and across from a secluded beach. Worth a stop!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote