Old 03-12-2004, 07:47 PM   #15
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I hear Rivets calling...

I have to go to the farm, and check on my two-wheeled son. He needs to have the diaper changed on his black water tank, and read a bedtime story...

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 07:57 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Awsome post here is the whole thing

A life..... or alive ?
I've followed this forum for several weeks and find the technical information to be both helpful and valuable. The brand is often perceived as the Cadillac of the industry, an analogy which is certainly arguable, but at the very least, it is a Chevy in a world of Yugos.

What is alarming is the innate need of many participants to engage in anthropomorphosis, i.e. the assigning of human like qualities, with their units. It begins humbly enough by first naming the trailer as one would a child, then innocently elevates to creating and/or purchasing clever "vanity" plates. We see trailers which have a gender (isn't she a beauty all polished up), an age grouping (this baby is so sweet), even to the perception of conception. One thread discussed in detail the actual "birth", complete with factory photos, ultrasound and detailed in utero progress. When people began sending congratulatory messages about the nearly 2 1/2 ton, 25 foot long newborn, I, well how best to describe this, became somewhat nauseated and lightheaded.

Unless you have a leather interior feature, the tanned and stretched skin of a recently deceased barnyard animal, I can assure you that the trailer is inorganic. It has never had a headache, a pap smear, a menstrual cycle, a digital rectal exam, a flu shot, nor a boyfriend that beat up the babysitter. It is a TRAILER, nothing more, nothing less. Are you listening ? It does not have feelings. It doesn't know how old you are, how old it is, where you live, which clubs you do or do not belong to, whether your mailman abuses your subscriptions, whether you dress in a toga and bow tie, drive in reverse with a cigar in one hand and a beer in the other.......AND (hold on tight to your Thetford toilet for this), it doesn't even know YOU own it. Look, long after most of us return to room temperature, are placed in a pine container, and lowered with dignity slightly south of the earths' surface, many of these trailers will still survive...owned by someone else.

So the closest they come to being 'alive' is that they are all prostitutes. Little whores. Providing pleasure to the privileged few while exacting a price. So why not enjoy the ride, eliminate the rancor, and extract the one thing we have in common, the desire for recreation. Yes, yes, I know we have opposable thumbs. And the right to trial by jury. But in six years and 30,000 miles, in our first and only trailer, I have yet to meet anyone who was not pleasant or didn't have something to share that positively impacted our lives. Just a thought. Isn't that what life is all about ?

Kind regards,
Dr. C.

RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 08:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
This is funny - saw a thread like this a few weeks ago...

as some kind of pet?
Dont get me wrong I love having my trailer and I love enjoying it,
But I am not IN Love with it.
Don't we say this about our spouses Just kidding.

I bet there are a few on this forum - if they could bring their trucks in the house and keep them all nice and shinny......well hmmm

The human race is a funny thing and does like to attach "human" tendancies to inanimate things - and have done so since the beginning of time.

But I think Airstreams even more so than SOB's have an "air" about them that was instilled during their conception of initially being a "Land Yacht" Which actually refers to the idea of a sailing "yacht" - not just the prestige. And if there are a few who have not hung around "boating" types - they are just as crazy with their names for their "yachts" (but they are all "shes" or mostly) as are pilots with their areoplanes and superstitions.

There are as many "sappies" as there are "coldhearties" out there so if I were doing ad's it would be a 50/50 chance of hitting the type I hope to snag as the purchaser.

Crazylev makes a good point - that pride and care would come to mind first - over just the plane simple facts about a trailer in an Ad. I find most ads with just the facts REALLY are not the facts and when you look really close wow the stories you guys have told about your trips to see a "great" trailer that is a well shall we say "not exactly as explained in the ad".

......And when her time comes I hope someone will take real good care of "Moon Beam" - Love having her and Love enjoying her. And one day she just might fall in love with a boy AS next door.
GT1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 12:11 AM   #18

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Hmm, do I want to buy from this guy:

"Hi my name is _____ and I have a new set of shoes and an A/c
I live in _____ and I need a good home " Yada Yada Yada.....

or this guy?

"For sale, Wally Gyam airstream, don't know anything about it. Interior has fresh coat of housepaint, don't know if anything inside works. You haul away..."

Personally I'd much rather buy from guy number one. Although the folks I bought my trailer from didn't have to advertise, and probably wouldn't have written anything sappy, it was nice to buy from someone who cared for their trailer and used it and knew what worked and how it worked, and we've remained in contact after the sale. I figure you're dealing with good people if they're not afraid to run into you after the sale.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote