Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-12-2004, 04:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Exclamation Sickly Ads For Airstreams make me Puke LOL

I just don't get it.

When I see an advertisment for an old Airstream for sale and it starts with

"Hi my name is _____ and I have a new set of shoes and an A/c
I live in _____ and I need a good home " Yada Yada Yada.....

It makes me puke.

Does anyone really respond or like these kinds of ads trying to sell the trailer as some kind of pet?

I personally would not want the kind of energy that would come with a trailer that has a name and is odviously loved way to much. (I think if they really feel that way about the camper they should keep it not have someone "Adopt it" their words not mine.)

Dont get me wrong I love having my trailer and I love enjoying it,

But I am not IN Love with it.

What do you think of the Idea of trailer ads where the facts are left out and just dribble is put in?

Do you think your Airstream is a animate or inanimate object?

Are you In love , or do you love your Airstream?

Please try not to make me Puke.
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 05:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Yippeee!

Another Dr. C. thread! That was fun, let's do it again
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 05:16 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I think our trailers , while inanimate objects, tend to lend themselves to being bestowed with personalities and character.
Sort of like thinking that because it seems to be resisting our efforts at repair, for example, it is stubborn.
While I really like our trailer, and don't really want to get rid of it (ask me again right after the next time I wack my head on an overhead cabinet) because it seems to be historically significant, does not mean I will not sell it if someone puts enough money in my hand for the privilege of being the next masochist to own it.
And no, I never answer those, cutesy, drippy, syrupy ads...
I look for one that doesn't want me to adopt "Tommy the Trailer".
My $.02, as requested.
Terry
Old 03-12-2004, 05:24 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
richardt,
Where did you see that ad? Mine reads more like this: " Aluminum Whore For Sale, will require monumentous amounts of time and money. If you are married your wife will want to know who the new girlfriend is. She WILL be monitoring you credit card statements and ATM withdrawals. She will be thoroughly convinced that "Inland RV" appearing on the statements is a euphism for a strip joint (no offense Andy )and Airstream Dreams is a lingerie outlet. Come take her off my hands for the divorce settlement cost of $$"

Gotta luv em or leave em!

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 05:41 PM   #5
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
RichardT.

I gotta tell you, when we were looking for a used AS, we found one that looked as if it could have been in the same bedroom as the owners....it was that nice. These people took care of this thing as if it had been their child.....a really important investment or both. They were the original owners of a '68 Caravel, garage(heated) kept, all manuals, spare rebuild kits for anything that could break: pump, bearings, etc. They wanted 6800 bucks for this thing, I bet they could have gotten 9000!!!

My point is, I would want to buy a trailer from a person like this. I collect guitars and I want to buy a vintage instrument from someone who has used a humidifier in the winter to prevent cracking. Or an AS that has been treated as the long-term investment and entertainment it should.

I also know that the people that are nutty like this are not nutty enough to not know the value of what they have, as mention by $$$ above.

Hell, if I were in the market for a '79 Excella motorhome and yours was up for sale, I would probably end up calling because you have shown that you are definaltly interested in AS and their product, and more importantly are interested in preserving it via learning on this site.

This only hold true if the person on the other end is on the up and up. And I know there are those that are not.

Welcome to the world of obsesion....be it cars, mistresses, boats, kids, houses, tools, books, computers, on and on.

I love you and good bye. Please don't barf.

Jonathan
Old 03-12-2004, 05:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Marketing...

As Mel Brooks, one of the great 20th century capitalists once put it, "that's marketing, marketing, marketing... the search for more money".
Please don't get me on the soap-box of B.S. advertising that we must endure. Remember what the Romans said, "Caveat Emptor-Buyer Beware"!!!!
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 06:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Quote:
I love you and good bye. Please don't barf.
Johnathon
I Love you too!

Obsession is good!

I was wondering -

Did the people cry when they sold it to you?
Do they call to talk sometimes?
Do they ask for photos?
Did you have to sign legal papers stating that you must Walbernise daily?
And most important did you keep the same name?

Taking care of it as if it were a family member is fine, but remember to refer to it once in a while as IT!
Old 03-12-2004, 06:24 PM   #8
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Richardt.

The whole deal fell through, which, because of a number of other factors, and the fact that we were never able to run across anything else like this Caravel, even though putting out the call, we ordered a new 19'CCD.

BUT, had we been the new owners, I would probably send the previous owners a few shots of the Mrs. and I camping in their TLC Caravel to let them know it was in good hands.

Sort of like adopting a dog I guess.

There is no explaining human nature.

Jonathan
Old 03-12-2004, 06:31 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

THIS is a weird thread....Who is Dr. C? Ed and Debbie seem to be responding to something else entirely (mel Brooks????). If you go back to previous threads on what people name their trailers, you'll get some idea what you're up against. Do you dot your i's with a heart, smiley face, a little flower, or a dot?
frozen chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 07:19 PM   #10
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Get the bucket....

We bought our Argosy used of a dealer lot. It had been there for a while and not one but two of the staff actually teared up when we hitched up. They had spent the winter restoring the exterior (things are slow in the frozen north). They sent us mail asking how she was - they offered to visit if she was lonely. It was as though a much cherished member of their family was leaving the nest.

So - we treat her kindly, with respect and gentle tenderness. SHe is aging and deserves our care.

Normal? Reasonable?

Yes.

DO YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THIS?

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 07:25 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

"Sickly Ads For Airstreams make me Puke LOL "

Can't find the meds today?
Silver City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 07:34 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Quote:
DO YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THIS? Janet
Quote:
Can't find the meds today? Silver City
This is supposed to be fun notice the LOL?
My trailer says you are mean dummys, and should play nice! my motorhome says it is unhappy with your attitude's and wouldnt tow you to the nearest mechanic, (you better be carefull my Motorhome is really angry, and very strong, she has ...............
LOL
Roflmao
Ha Ha
he he
ho ho
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Play nice!
Old 03-12-2004, 07:37 PM   #13
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
You are truely in touch with your A/S

It wasn't hard.... We apologize.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 07:46 PM   #14
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally posted by frozen chosen
THIS is a weird thread....Who is Dr. C?
Dr. C (drcharles2) was the author of the "Its alive . . . " thread, quoted in part herein:

"What is alarming is the innate need of many participants to engage in anthropomorphosis, i.e. the assigning of human like qualities, with their units. It begins humbly enough by first naming the trailer as one would a child, then innocently elevates to creating and/or purchasing clever "vanity" plates. We see trailers which have a gender (isn't she a beauty all polished up), an age grouping (this baby is so sweet), even to the perception of conception. One thread discussed in detail the actual "birth", complete with factory photos, ultrasound and detailed in utero progress. When people began sending congratulatory messages about the nearly 2 1/2 ton, 25 foot long newborn, I, well how best to describe this, became somewhat nauseated and lightheaded."

Which became one of the most amusing threads on this forum!
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 07:47 PM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I hear Rivets calling...

I have to go to the farm, and check on my two-wheeled son. He needs to have the diaper changed on his black water tank, and read a bedtime story...
Terry
Old 03-12-2004, 07:57 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Awsome post here is the whole thing

Quote:
A life..... or alive ?
I've followed this forum for several weeks and find the technical information to be both helpful and valuable. The brand is often perceived as the Cadillac of the industry, an analogy which is certainly arguable, but at the very least, it is a Chevy in a world of Yugos.

What is alarming is the innate need of many participants to engage in anthropomorphosis, i.e. the assigning of human like qualities, with their units. It begins humbly enough by first naming the trailer as one would a child, then innocently elevates to creating and/or purchasing clever "vanity" plates. We see trailers which have a gender (isn't she a beauty all polished up), an age grouping (this baby is so sweet), even to the perception of conception. One thread discussed in detail the actual "birth", complete with factory photos, ultrasound and detailed in utero progress. When people began sending congratulatory messages about the nearly 2 1/2 ton, 25 foot long newborn, I, well how best to describe this, became somewhat nauseated and lightheaded.

Unless you have a leather interior feature, the tanned and stretched skin of a recently deceased barnyard animal, I can assure you that the trailer is inorganic. It has never had a headache, a pap smear, a menstrual cycle, a digital rectal exam, a flu shot, nor a boyfriend that beat up the babysitter. It is a TRAILER, nothing more, nothing less. Are you listening ? It does not have feelings. It doesn't know how old you are, how old it is, where you live, which clubs you do or do not belong to, whether your mailman abuses your subscriptions, whether you dress in a toga and bow tie, drive in reverse with a cigar in one hand and a beer in the other.......AND (hold on tight to your Thetford toilet for this), it doesn't even know YOU own it. Look, long after most of us return to room temperature, are placed in a pine container, and lowered with dignity slightly south of the earths' surface, many of these trailers will still survive...owned by someone else.

So the closest they come to being 'alive' is that they are all prostitutes. Little whores. Providing pleasure to the privileged few while exacting a price. So why not enjoy the ride, eliminate the rancor, and extract the one thing we have in common, the desire for recreation. Yes, yes, I know we have opposable thumbs. And the right to trial by jury. But in six years and 30,000 miles, in our first and only trailer, I have yet to meet anyone who was not pleasant or didn't have something to share that positively impacted our lives. Just a thought. Isn't that what life is all about ?

Kind regards,
Dr. C.

[
Old 03-12-2004, 08:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
This is funny - saw a thread like this a few weeks ago...

Richardt

Quote:
as some kind of pet?
Quote:
Dont get me wrong I love having my trailer and I love enjoying it,
But I am not IN Love with it.
Don't we say this about our spouses Just kidding.

I bet there are a few on this forum - if they could bring their trucks in the house and keep them all nice and shinny......well hmmm

The human race is a funny thing and does like to attach "human" tendancies to inanimate things - and have done so since the beginning of time.

But I think Airstreams even more so than SOB's have an "air" about them that was instilled during their conception of initially being a "Land Yacht" Which actually refers to the idea of a sailing "yacht" - not just the prestige. And if there are a few who have not hung around "boating" types - they are just as crazy with their names for their "yachts" (but they are all "shes" or mostly) as are pilots with their areoplanes and superstitions.

There are as many "sappies" as there are "coldhearties" out there so if I were doing ad's it would be a 50/50 chance of hitting the type I hope to snag as the purchaser.

Crazylev makes a good point - that pride and care would come to mind first - over just the plane simple facts about a trailer in an Ad. I find most ads with just the facts REALLY are not the facts and when you look really close wow the stories you guys have told about your trips to see a "great" trailer that is a well shall we say "not exactly as explained in the ad".

......And when her time comes I hope someone will take real good care of "Moon Beam" - Love having her and Love enjoying her. And one day she just might fall in love with a boy AS next door.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 12:11 AM   #18

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Hmm, do I want to buy from this guy:

"Hi my name is _____ and I have a new set of shoes and an A/c
I live in _____ and I need a good home " Yada Yada Yada.....

or this guy?

"For sale, Wally Gyam airstream, don't know anything about it. Interior has fresh coat of housepaint, don't know if anything inside works. You haul away..."

Personally I'd much rather buy from guy number one. Although the folks I bought my trailer from didn't have to advertise, and probably wouldn't have written anything sappy, it was nice to buy from someone who cared for their trailer and used it and knew what worked and how it worked, and we've remained in contact after the sale. I figure you're dealing with good people if they're not afraid to run into you after the sale.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote