Old 06-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #29
Airstream Newby

1975 25' Tradewind
Florence , South Carolina
Great, all very helpful. Amazon has the shower head for $26, so I think I will be ordering it later tonight.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by murreywalker View Post
Be careful of what you wish for. ;-)

We pretty much camp at full service campgrounds and with the newer gas WH's, the recovery time is fast. We shower just like we do at home.
X2

Wally wanted us to have all the comforts of home! What is glamping if you have to take a Navy shower? Meh.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
We usually take Navy showers, though full hook ups are tempting
Old 06-28-2012, 01:05 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
My rear bath shower is curved and I'm too tall to stand in it so I sit on the built in ledge and do the on-off routine while trying not to get tangled up in the handheld hose. For 30 years my parents complained that the water pressure in the shower was low. When I took ownership I took apart the original shower head and found a flow restrictor. I removed it and now it works great. But the greater the flow the shorter the duration of hot water.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:35 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I don't want to ever find out how long a hot shower lasts with a 6 gal. water heater, so it is on, off, on, off, on, off….

I never forget those motels I've stayed where the hot waster ran out in the middle of a shower.

I like that it conserves water and energy too.

Gene
Old 06-28-2012, 05:59 AM   #34
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Boondocking.....showers? Go jump in the Lake.

We don't "shower" we "dribble".

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:45 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Get that vent open to help control humidity, especially in cool weather. Then remember not to sing as loud with the vent open.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:17 AM   #36
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougsale View Post
My rear bath shower is curved and I'm too tall to stand in it so I sit on the built in ledge and do the on-off routine while trying not to get tangled up in the handheld hose. For 30 years my parents complained that the water pressure in the shower was low. When I took ownership I took apart the original shower head and found a flow restrictor. I removed it and now it works great. But the greater the flow the shorter the duration of hot water.
There's a solution to your "tangled in the hose" issue. My Interstate has a small wet bath, and the sloping side of the vehicle mean that there's less shoulder room while standing than while seated. So I take advantage of the toilet being inside the shower stall, put the lid down, and sit on it to bathe (which also helps for washing the feet). Not a lot different from what you do.

What is different, I don't actually use the showerhead until I'm ready to rinse off. I fill the bathroom sink with hot water, soak a large sponge, squirt liquid soap on the sponge, and take a hospital-style sponge bath rather than a Navy shower. By the time I'm clean, the water in the sink is almost gone, and then I rinse off with the shower nozzle. Whole thing, less than two gallons of water. Helps that I'm bald; shampooing hair wouldn't be as easy or as water-conservative.

Sad to say, I got very good at giving myself sponge baths after surgery gone infected, that had me bandaged up and unable to take a proper shower for 14 weeks straight. Never thought the skill would come in handy for camping, though; glad it's not going to waste.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:53 AM   #37
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Mod View Post
I take Navy showers. Mr. Mod hasn't used the shower in the AS. He is 6'4'' and 250 lbs. So he uses the showers at the campground. I was thinking of setting up some type of outdoor shower but haven't put much thought to it yet.
Yes, I'm a bit taller and not quite so heavy, but it is CLEAR to me that the bathroom in our '74 was only made for people 5'7" or less.

Not just the shower, but the sink is for children. Shaving takes great care, and a good back.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:57 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Navy showers for us since we mostly boondock and dont like hooking up and searching for a dump station.

This post made me laught though - the other reason we don't take full showers sometimes is no matter how I level the airstream, we always get water pooling away from the drain so you can't run water full bore for a long time without stopping to sweep it into the drain with your foot. We've grown accustomed to it but it's a funny quirk....
Old 06-28-2012, 09:01 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist

What is different, I don't actually use the showerhead until I'm ready to rinse off. I fill the bathroom sink with hot water, soak a large sponge, squirt liquid soap on the sponge, and take a hospital-style sponge bath rather than a Navy shower. By the time I'm clean, the water in the sink is almost gone, and then I rinse off with the shower nozzle.
This is great idea!

Better than a sponge bath, not as much water usage as even a very conservative shower. We have no sink, but do have a small dishpan reserved for non-dish use.

And, as we all know, when no real showers are available, hot running water is still hot running water.

Thanks!

Maggie
Old 06-28-2012, 09:09 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
The reason I pull the trailer behind me is my own bed that no stranger has slept in the night before, my toilet that no stranger has ever used, and my shower that no one except my wife and myself has ever used. I do not use campground facilities.

We do navy showers, even when we have sewer hookups because water conservation should be a habit for when we do not have hookups.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Shower head

I recommend replacing the original shower head with the Oxygenics head. It mixes air with the water and gives a high pressure stream with very little water usage. I use a 3/8" curly hose to connect the trailer to the pedestal and still have a high-velocity stream in the shower. I doubt whether I use more water than a sponge bath would require to wet down.

I bought my Oxygenics shower head at an International rally, but Camping World and my local RV dealer stock them and I have also found them on Amazon.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:27 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
The reason I pull the trailer behind me is my own bed that no stranger has slept in the night before, my toilet that no stranger has ever used, and my shower that no one except my wife and myself has ever used. I do not use campground facilities.

We do navy showers, even when we have sewer hookups because water conservation should be a habit for when we do not have hookups.
Good point, I can relate. As I noted earlier, I do use the campground showers, but I wear my shower shoes, so hopefully, that's my prophylactic. Nevertheless, I have an absolute aversion to the mere thought of using a public hot tub, spa, mud bath, whatever. Chemicals dissipate quickly in high heat, who know's how recently they were refreshed, and what survives at essentially body temperature?