Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2005, 12:15 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Send a message via AIM to rfield54
Should Profile Info be required?

IMHO, I feel that all members should be required to complete the sections of their profile regarding trailer (or MH) info, and location (even just the State or region) before being allowed to post. How do you all feel about that issue?

AIR #2753

www.roybloomfield.com
rfield54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 12:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Well, I don't know about forcing members to list those things; however, it would certainly make some of their posts more understandable if you knew whether they were in Montana or Florida. It gets confusing when someone writes "wow, the weather is really something here" and you don't know if they're in the middle of the hurricane or the middle of a snow storm.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 12:43 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I think the info is really handy to have, especially when somone asks a question about their trailer, and you can't even tell if it's vintage or new, trailer or MH. But I don't think it should be required. I'm just basically against requiring anyone to do anything. Except 'be nice', that's the one exception.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 12:49 PM   #4
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfield54
IMHO, I feel that all members should be required to complete the sections of their profile regarding trailer (or MH) info, and location (even just the State or region) before being allowed to post.
why do you even care?

how would you verify?

folks share what they want, when they want.

a requirement to complete a profile will just discourage many from joining AND/OR posting....

there are many ways to encourage folks to post and become involved in the online exchange..... the new member "introductions" andy started recently are a good example....look at all the recent posts/1st post by folks introducing them selves and their airstreams....this has been a great addition.

what value would your requirement bring to the forums?

cheers

2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 01:03 PM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
It should not be required, but

It would seem to me to be common courtesy to include this information, especially if you are asking for assistance. I have seen several threads that went on for days before the poster replied back with the year and model of his unit. The first time I logged in after picking up my TT, I updated my profile.

I am the proud owner of a 1975 25’ Trade Wind Airstream trailer and I live in Phoenix, AZ.

I do not understand why people choose not to share that information

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 01:04 PM   #6
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Question

COURTESY!

If someone wishes to read and not contribute to this Forum, then he or she is not required to join.

Anyone who joins, and does not provide the basic information relative to his or her coach (year, length, model, home base, etc.) is being inconsiderate. Specifically, if they are going to ask assistance. If you have other data to hide – go ahead!

When owners request guidance and information exchange, it is important to know these facts in order to respond in an educated/intelligent manner.

A requirement – NO, providing the info for common courtesy – YES!
It is called the 'Knowledge Sharing Forum' – DUH!

azflycaster, you 'hit the nail (rivet) on the head'!
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 01:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
After the whole scare with a certain forum member asking us to help an anonymous owner, and the nigerian guys who are always fishing, made us change some of our information.

It is important that not all information is shared about us. Some one could be lurking, picking up info, and meet us at a rally. They would have a ton of info. If you put down a real birthday, address, etc, you have all the info you need to scam me.

Courtesy is the key. Give just enough info to be helpful, but don't hurt yourself by revealing too much.
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 01:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I think if I had three coaches I would want to put that in my profile too!

But since I am "Airstream poor", with just my little 1959 Tradewind, I will leave it blank.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 02:16 PM   #9
_

. , .
ok you folks from the red states, or is it blue states....have convinced my i need to update my profile......

see some day i might have a question about cocoa flavored chicklets, or how to keep the toe jam out of my rivet heads....and you'll need more personal info before offering an answer.....

so i've decided to include a personal photo wearing my favorite hat.....

ok, so now some of you might THINK you recognize me......
yes i'm pretty famous, having appeared in many posters....like this one.

i even have a big web site and have an entry in the wikipedia.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oolong_(rabbit)

please take a minute to read ALL my personal details.....it's sure to help you when answering my questions......and far more interesting than this thread.

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eboshi.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	16966   Click image for larger version

Name:	rabbit_pancake.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	16967  

2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 02:46 PM   #10

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberlanders
After the whole scare with a certain forum member asking us to help an anonymous owner, and the nigerian guys who are always fishing, made us change some of our information.

It is important that not all information is shared about us. Some one could be lurking, picking up info, and meet us at a rally. They would have a ton of info. If you put down a real birthday, address, etc, you have all the info you need to scam me.

Courtesy is the key. Give just enough info to be helpful, but don't hurt yourself by revealing too much.
We do screen the address info. You shouldn't be able to see my street address. Quite honestly there isn't anything in the personal info that hasn't come out in discussions. So if someone is hell bent to find information it doesn't take long to string together some posts and figure most of it out.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 03:35 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
1) Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias!

2) You'd need to know more than my birthday (Oct. 10, 1962) to con me. After all, I wasn't born yesterday.

3) Here at home, at a rally, or on the road you will find 2 of the following 3 items between me & harm's way: A very territorial dog, a switchblade & a guy who used to play pro hoops. Make your guesses as to which are present on any given night & in which order. Yelling out my birthday will not save you.

4) Plus, if you show up unannounced at my house, I will assume you are the electrician I've been expecting forever, and you will promptly be put to work. Once again, knowing my birthday will not change things. We will just have a terse conversation about why you weren't here sometime before my last birthday.

Old 12-09-2005, 04:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkid
1) Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias!

Vita non est vivere sed valere vita est!
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 04:19 PM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
In a word.....no.

You should share what you'd like, nothing more, nothing less.

I think the only truth in my profile is the tow vehicles and the airstream. The rest is pure fiction-- and I make no apology for it.

The bottom line is that with the Internet being what it is, one needs to be careful what info they decide to share. Folks here that know me, know I don't do this kind of thing to be cute, it's just the way the world is and though here on an Airstream discussion board the risk is less, it still is not zero.

If you think otherwise, go do a search on some of the folks that have a bunch of info in their profile. You'd be shocked what you can find.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 04:27 PM   #14

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I'd also advise people not put too much thought into being offended by 'discourteous' peple who don't fill out their profile. Many people might not understand what that info is used for when they sign up, and so not fill it out. Once they are signed up, newbies might not understand how to go make that info appear even if they wanted to (here's a hint if anyone is wondering, click on User CP at the top of the screen and you can fill ou or change your profile from there).

My policy is always to assume the best about people. I'm sure most people who don't have their profile info filled out have better reasons than just being rude, and probably may even have valid security concerns, as some have pointed out.

It's really a convenience, not a necessity. But it's interesting to see how passionately some people feel about it!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 04:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Vita non est vivere sed valere vita est!
Hey pal, here in America we speak English, comprende?
Old 12-09-2005, 04:48 PM   #16
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I think the only truth in my profile is the tow vehicles and the airstream. The rest is pure fiction-- and I make no apology for it.
I knew it, Twink is a Yankee fan!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 04:56 PM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
I knew it, Twink is a Yankee fan!
I like any Chicago team. But heck the Yankees aren't bad either.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 06:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Oh what the heck! We hit 10,000 why not make it more difficult for folks to join? Make 'em fill out an application, and really slow down the number thing.... It's just like Florida.... "I've got mine and now I don't want you to have any."
All kidding aside I think having more info without invading someone's privacy would be fine.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 06:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Ok, I took Spanish and Latin. No vivo en miedo! Vivo en realidad! and Veni, Vini, Vici to you too!

I guess my point is that in this day and age if people don't want to tell all, they shouldn't have to. The world is a weird place, they have had their identity stolen, and for some reason they don't want to share all their info.

If I lived in fear, I wouldn't be teaching Jr. High school students.
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 06:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
how do you move that balloon anyway? and can anyone see that forum member map or just members?

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote