Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2007, 11:41 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, if you can buy a 4 ton floor jack for under $100.00 consider it junk from China. Throw it in the trash. A good 4 ton floor jack would go for about $700.00 to $1,000.00 if they still make them. But I think the good ones are history [out of business] since the market was flooded with this Taiwon / Chinese junk.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:49 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Eck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, if you can buy a 4 ton floor jack for under $100.00 consider it junk from China. Throw it in the trash. A good 4 ton floor jack would go for about $700.00 to $1,000.00 if they still make them. But I think the good ones are history [out of business] since the market was flooded with this Taiwon / Chinese junk.
so how bout those _______ dodgers?

kevin
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 06:13 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
The replies have really been quite helpful I'll take it apart and analyze the situation.......and then probably junk it.

Keep up the seal jokes; it is helping. Simi Valley and/or Phoenix are too far for me to drive

Kistler
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 07:09 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Floor jacks

I gave up trying to find replacment cartridges for our old long frame Walker years ago. Just not available.
I don't even know if Walker Jach is still in business.
I asked the guys and a personal friend, when I caught up with him, how the jacks stand up in the COSTCO tire areas. They said good.
I bought one (80.00 or so dollars) about 6 or seven years ago. Still going strong. If it craps out I'll throw it away and go buy another one.
The petroleum hydraulic jack oil absorbs moisture and caused the internal parts to rust/corrode and makes overhaul difficult.
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:32 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Buy NOTHING from Sears. Old habits die hard, however. When the maintenance and shop people at the plant where I'm purchasing agent ask for Craftsman tools, I tell them to go buy them for themselves. I refuse to spend company money on junk that is no longer backed by the previously good guarantee. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:16 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darol Ingalls
Buy NOTHING from Sears. Old habits die hard, however. When the maintenance and shop people at the plant where I'm purchasing agent ask for Craftsman tools, I tell them to go buy them for themselves. I refuse to spend company money on junk that is no longer backed by the previously good guarantee. Darol
mr darol,

so don't buy Sears products. check.

i've made a fortune in Sears stock. on july 19th i sold my basis. shall i sell? or hold the balance?

kevin
Old 08-05-2007, 10:40 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
The Sears store satisfaction guarantee alone should cover flawed merchandise, the 'Craftsman' label is a guarantee that should cover outright dangerous tools. Remind the store manager just how liable they would've been had the jacks failure resulted in injury; they are used to playing the odds that few people will take the time to remedy their product failures by negotiating up the gauntlet of uncaring associates.... I suspect there is someone who can satisfy your concerns -

I had an injury from one of their toolbox handles failing that was met with derision and insulting snappy come-backs until store security and a cluster of behind-the-scenes managers appeared, when I recalled the incident once again I was promptly given a full refund and a discount certificate on my next purchase...
Old 08-05-2007, 10:48 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Let me weigh in with the other heavy lifters here...

When you purchase equipment designed to thwart the law of gravity, follow this simple rule: "Buy the best–forget the rest." The American market is flooded with cheap (use and throw away) hydralic jacks and if you look closely somewhere there will be little letters in a hitherto lost language that say "Warning! Discard before use." Quality equipment, on the other hand, like Hein-Werner is designed to last and designed to be rebuilt and there is good customer support in the industrial parts of town. The more expensive floor jacks have a lower profile and are overbuilt–they will go for decades in everyday use and are easier to use. Honestly, would you repack a parachute that failed the first time? (No-you'd be dead and packing a hole in the ground) but you get the picture.
Attached Images

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:54 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Ill weigh in on this subject this morning ,being that i utilize floor jacks and
bottle jacks every day in my repair shop .First thing to realize is that most if
not all ,these days , floor jacks are chinese or taiwan and are junk !
(as has been said) .Forget the whole seal idea and take it back for a refund
or credit for some craftsman hand wrenches .You may find that the jack will
collapes down and seriouse injury will happen ,so do not mess with somthing
such as a jack holding up your vehical while your under it ,Yes ,you have jack stands under the vehical ,but never try to fix these things ,they are of
extremely poor quality in the first place ,thats why they leak and fail quickly.
You could do this on the older high quality service station floor jacks of
years past ,as they leaked after many years of trouble free service.
Alcan , is a floor jack thats been around and is of high quality ,proffesional
grade tools and specifically ,jacks as we are talking about ,should be high quality ,so even if it costs 200 dollars or more ,whats your life worth ?
thats the question .I use bottle jacks for heavy vehicals ,motorhomes,trucks
4x4 vehicals and the airstream and customers trailers as well .You get a straight UP lift ,and the bottle jack can easily handle this type of lifting as
long as its rated for the load ,go bigger if you can ,those tiny bottle jacks
really are unstable and unsafe ,and if they are chinese or taiwan ,they will
fail too .A floor jack can be ruined quickly when lifting a heavy truck or trailer
as the (load) is too high and the jack cannot lift it and becomes overloaded
you can tell because it will try to lift it ,then it will not go higher and will
blow inside ,not always leaking outwordly ,yet now will not raise up anything.
Ok ,thats my professional opinion on jacks .Be Safe is the main thing always
and use jack stands ,even if your in a hurry ,your life is worth it .

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:09 AM   #30
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I have found that the black Craftsman jacks are good (professional line). I had a 7,000# floor jack for years, and would still have it if an errant employee hadn't tried to jack up a loaded semi with it. I have a Craftsman professional bottle jack I use to jack up our Airstream, the first one failed after 3 years, but only 3 uses. Turned out the cylinder had corroded and chewed up the seal. My fault, I had left it in a damp location with it slightly extended. They replaced it with no hassles.
Bottom line, even if you decide you never in your life want to use the jack, take it in to Sears, and try to exchange it. If they do, take it home, and sell it to someone. Then take the proceeeds and buy a jack that you want.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:25 AM   #31
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbo10
i've made a fortune in Sears stock. on july 19th i sold my basis. shall i sell? or hold the balance?
kevin
That depends. If you bought in '03, you're only up 1000%. I would sell the basis×5. You'd still have lots left.

PM me with your next pick!
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 01:11 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
walker >>> lincoln jacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner
I gave up trying to find replacment cartridges for our old long frame Walker years ago. Just not available.
I don't even know if Walker Jach is still in business.
I asked the guys and a personal friend, when I caught up with him, how the jacks stand up in the COSTCO tire areas. They said good.
I bought one (80.00 or so dollars) about 6 or seven years ago. Still going strong. If it craps out I'll throw it away and go buy another one.
The petroleum hydraulic jack oil absorbs moisture and caused the internal parts to rust/corrode and makes overhaul difficult.
Beginner
i believe Walker is now Lincoln.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 02:06 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Pep

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
That depends. If you bought in '03, you're only up 1000%. I would sell the basis×5. You'd still have lots left.

PM me with your next pick!
mr stock pickin all over the west,

i don't buy floor jacks or screw jacks,

but,

i'm buying 500 PEP on monday and going long..

k.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:36 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
jacks

By the way, after I get the vehicle jacked up, I always put jackstands under it. My 6 ton jack stands have served me well for quite a few years.
Where precision leveling is necessary or just getting weight off the suspension is necessary (frame set up on a restoration) I use the old bottle type 10 ton screw jack with acme threads. I have never had one of those leak, fail or fail to operate. I just purchased 6 small JET 10 ton screw jacks because of their retracted dimention, also they were $25.00 each.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:14 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
hydraulic jacks

richinny
Thanks, I just may have found a sourse of cartridges for the walker floor jacks I kept.
Beginner
Old 08-05-2007, 06:28 PM   #36
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbo10
. . . i'm buying 500 PEP on monday and going long..

k.
That might be a good move, I've had PEP in the past. It's been beat down lately and may be staging a comeback.

Lots of buy recommendations and upgrades.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote