Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2004, 12:21 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
should I stop at 2? Would that be good?

You know, the '61 Overlander that I just bought down in SC is far away & will be a long restore... so I was still a little antsy this weekend. And then today I noticed that Erica at Airstreams.net had lowered the price on her '62 Bambi by $5,000. Being a '62 myself & having gone by Bambi for decades, I couldn't take it any longer.

So now I own 2 early-'60s Airstreams, one at one end of the country & the second at the other. Convenient. I'm in the middle.

I feel giddy.

But a question: Here's the link... www.airstreams.net (it's the Bambi El Paso at the top of the picture list)
It doesn't necessarily look "original" to me. Does anybody else think so or could I just start doing one of those happy little Ralph Lauren jobs on it?
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 12:46 AM   #2
qqq
4 Rivet Member

I love it, I find it seems much more livable than my Safari with so much unusable lost space. I would luv to have the Bambi's seating!
A RL style would be great

Hart
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 07:01 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
summerkid....

I sent you a PM.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 07:17 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Should I stop at 2? Would that be good?

Greetings Summerkid!

Quote:
It doesn't necessarily look "original" to me. Does anybody else think so or could I just start doing one of those happy little Ralph Lauren jobs on it?
The Bambi actually appears to be quite original. The upholstery is likely somewhat newer than the coach, but appears to duplicate the installation of the original. The range/refrigerator appears to be the original unit as installed in Bambis of the period. The cabinetry (countertops and sink as well ) also appears authentic, but I am not certain about the hardware (especially the latches). While it is difficult to tell from the photos, I would speculate that the interior wall surafaces have been painted as it doesn't appear to be the original Zolatone finish. The toilet appears to be the original china model typical for Airstreams of the era.

The carpeting is likely an addition as most of the Bambis seem to have come from the factory with tile floors. The drop leaf table that would have been factory original to a Bambi appears to be missing -- a suspicion arising from what appears to be a floor receptacle for a "post-type" table.

Good luck with your new acquisitions!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 08:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Hey Summerkid
At 2200 lbs with a shower (?). What a great trailer for a quick get away or a long road trip where gas mileage might be an issue. I would suggest using it as is until you find out how you want to fix it up. ( wait till you spill grape juice )
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 10:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Kevin, my main speculation about the interior having been rejiggered some is the way the range/fridge block the back window just a little bit. Doesn't seem like stellar design to me. But what the hell do I know, I just bought a $10,000 trailer sight unseen (in fact, only on Sunday did I catch my first glimpse of an Airstream in person, and it was all the way across some farmer's field, buried in snow)... and I had noted the socket in the floor but wasn't positive about the table thing.

I'm in way over my head... when one of the silvertwinks goes on about all the modifications he made to his towing vehicle, my little blond head just bobbles backward on its scrawny little neck.... light as a helium balloon, unweighted by actual useful knowledge....
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 03:03 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Should I stop at 2? Would that be good?

Greetings Summerkid!

Quote:
my main speculation about the interior having been rejiggered some is the way the range/fridge block the back window just a little bit.
The range/refrigerator has an unusual appearance, but I do believe it to be stock and in its original location. The two people whom I have know with '61/'62 Bambis found the only issue with the range/refrigerator was that the counter above the refrigerator could become quite warm due to restricted venting - - they often kept the rear window open at least an inch or two to help dissipate some of the heat. A very good frined of mine in Oregon has a '61 Bambi with the same placement for the Refrigerator/Range - - the bath and sink area on that particular '61 are switched - - the bath is streetside and the kitchen counter/sink is curbside - - I think that I read somewhere that the difference in location for the bath had something to do with where the coach was built - - California or Ohio.

Good luck with your finds!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote