Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2014, 05:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' International
kittery , Maine
Shaving weight: Can I strip a 2010 Bambi to 2,000 lbs?

Has anyone gone through the exercise of trying to minimize the weight of a modern Airstream, via creative mods? Currently towing my 2010 Bambi (approx 3,260 lbs) with a vehicle that has a 4k tow rating but would like to to with a vehicle with 2k rating.

Not interested in a thread about why would you ruin your Airstream. I realize that by undoing a lot of things, you're undoing a lot of what makes the Airstream what it is. I get that, and understand this could be one of those penny-wise-pound-foolish things, and that even if you get to 2k lbs you still need to add cargo. That said... I'd like to find out weights of the subsystems and components, and think about a radical customization in the interest of saving weight. So how do you bring a 16' Bambi to 2,000 lbs? Shaving 1,260 lbs is a pretty tall order.

Possibilities include

- carry only 1 propane bottle instead of 2
- travel dry and fill water at campsite (no savings if factory spec is w/o water)
- strip stereo, TV, air conditioner
- replace electric tongue jack with manual one
- replace rear bed with smaller one, lighter mattress
- replace fridge with cooler
- replace cabinets with simple wireframe shelving
- remove corner bench/storage at dinette (keep 1 bench over water tank)
- etc

Retain the wet bath, furnace, HW heater, range.

Another approach: What's the weight of the 2010 Bambi rolling frame, shell, floor, and other basics, before trimming it out?
amm3824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
You could redo all the cabnets. Make them like the old trailers, out of 1/4 luan plywood.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Tow vehicles can be a quite a controversial subject. You might want to reach out to Andy at Can Am RV in Ontario Canada. Depending upon your desired TV you might receive some advice/thoughts on TV setup in lieu of striping the Airstream.
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
My old Coleman popup weighed more than 2k.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Airstream Forums mobile app
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
An interesting proposition. You may want to study the differences between modern and vintage Airstreams to see what has caused the weight increases. A 1963 16' Bambi weighed under 2000#-your target. So, it can, and has, been done! I'd imagine the body, frame, and windows don't weigh much more today than they did before. So, that leaves interior fixtures as the culprit. I'd be interested in seeing what you could achieve.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
I think you are on the right path. If you have ever backpacked (which I would guess you have), everything is about weight! This will be interesting to follow!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
I think the Bolus Road Chief is close to that weight so I'd take a peek at their site and scope out the differences. IIRC it has an aluminum chassis and lighter cabinetry for a start. Other than that maybe an aluminum smaller propane tank over steel.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
What is your proposed tow vehicle?
Old 04-07-2014, 06:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You would probably have to put an aluminum frame on it just to get the shell and the body down to that. You might call Airstream and ask them what an empty shell on frame would weigh. For what you would loose in the value of the trailer you could buy a new tow vehicle. You must really be in love with your tow vehicle. There maybe someone on here rebuilding an older trailer who could weigh their shell on frame for you to give you some idea of what the base weight is. To make the trailer other than an aluminum tent you would have to do things like an aluminum frame and maybe even composite honeycomb aluminum floors.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I think you should sell your new bambi and buy an old light weight one.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:06 PM   #11
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Maybe a Basecamp? 1965 lbs dry weight on one chart.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
By the time one removes the items mentioned, it might as well be an empty shell and a blow up mattress.

My question is why keep the trailer, if no amenities is one's idea of fun?

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:28 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' International
kittery , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
What is your proposed tow vehicle?
Target tow rig is a Jeep JK 2-door with 2,000 lbs rating and 3.6L Pentastar motor. Current TV is a 4-door JKU is 3,500 rating with 3.6L Pentastar. Big improvement over the previous 3.8L (I towed the same 16' Bambi with that). Currently using a weight-distributing hitch (Reese) which, especially on the Jeep, is a must-have and I will never again tow the Bambi without it.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:30 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' International
kittery , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob View Post
I think you are on the right path. If you have ever backpacked (which I would guess you have), everything is about weight! This will be interesting to follow!
Funny, as I was writing my original post, I was thinking of exactly that - the backpacking/hiking scenario, in which every ounce matters. I'm a hiker wannabe, have never really done it seriously, but admire those who do it and understand that their obsession about weight savings is real.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:33 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' International
kittery , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
You must really be in love with your tow vehicle. Perry
You got it Perry. The TV isn't just some generic TV; the Jeep is as big a part of my happiness as is the 16-foot Bambi International. Part of the goal here is simplicity - so a second vehicle is something I do not want. I expect that what I'm asking for may not be achievable, but planning/hoping is free, and fun.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:37 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' International
kittery , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Maybe a Basecamp? 1965 lbs dry weight on one chart.
Considered it. However, I love love love my 2010 Bambi. I'd rather strip out the things I don't ever use (TV, stereo, etc.) than wish I had things that I do currently use (wet bath, furnace, etc.). Basecamp looks great but Bambi is better suited for my purposes (local trips, max 1 overnight).
Old 04-07-2014, 07:38 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by amm3824 View Post
Has anyone gone through the exercise of trying to minimize the weight of a modern Airstream, via creative mods? Currently towing my 2010 Bambi (approx 3,260 lbs) with a vehicle that has a 4k tow rating but would like to to with a vehicle with 2k rating.

Not interested in a thread about why would you ruin your Airstream. I realize that by undoing a lot of things, you're undoing a lot of what makes the Airstream what it is. I get that, and understand this could be one of those penny-wise-pound-foolish things, and that even if you get to 2k lbs you still need to add cargo. That said... I'd like to find out weights of the subsystems and components, and think about a radical customization in the interest of saving weight. So how do you bring a 16' Bambi to 2,000 lbs? Shaving 1,260 lbs is a pretty tall order.

Possibilities include

- carry only 1 propane bottle instead of 2
- travel dry and fill water at campsite (no savings if factory spec is w/o water)
- strip stereo, TV, air conditioner
- replace electric tongue jack with manual one
- replace rear bed with smaller one, lighter mattress
- replace fridge with cooler
- replace cabinets with simple wireframe shelving
- remove corner bench/storage at dinette (keep 1 bench over water tank)
- etc

Retain the wet bath, furnace, HW heater, range.

Another approach: What's the weight of the 2010 Bambi rolling frame, shell, floor, and other basics, before trimming it out?
I don't think you'll ever take enough out of this trailer & get it down to 2000 lbs & still be usable, as more than just an aluminum tent.
I'm in the process of rebuilding a 46 Mobilglide 15' aluminum trailer. It weighed 860 lbs with the interior gutted. I have done pretty much everything I can do in order to keep it light, & expect it to be around 1200 lbs when complete.
The main difference between this trailer & yours is that the Bambi has .040" thick skin, while the Mobilglide is .025" thick. I also installed the lighter duty torsion axle with 7" brakes, 195/75-14 tires & wheels. The frame is 2" X 2" X 1/8" square tube as well. Basically, everything going into this trailer was designed & built with "light" in mind. Virtually all of the cabinetry will be aluminum as well.

Although many still think this, current Airstream production is not designed to be truly light.
Every decade of Airstream production has become heavier for a given size. Why not start with something that was light to begin with, then add modern technology, to end up comfortable & light?
We are in the process of producing interior & exterior 13 panel end cap kits that theoretically enable people to create their dream ultra light Airstream-esk trailer.
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:42 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' International
kittery , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
By the time one removes the items mentioned, it might as well be an empty shell and a blow up mattress.

My question is why keep the trailer, if no amenities is one's idea of fun?
JD
Great point, *almost* right. Based on my actual usage and habits, I don't use the TV, don't mind manually cranking the tongue jack, can live without broadcast antenna, don't need full-width mattress, etc... but definitely want Airstream quality, panoramic rear window (now discontinued in 16' International!), etc.

What it comes down to is that I LOVE what I have and I'm very lucky to have it, and it's here to stay. I just want to see if it's possible to mate it to a tow vehicle that I love just as passionately. If you understand the love for your Airstream, you understand my love for the tow vehicle. Now imagine the two together.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:45 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' International
kittery , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
I think you should sell your new bambi and buy an old light weight one.
Nope, no way, no how. One thing I know, what I have stays. That's one part of this exercise that won't vary.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:50 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Get a 4x4 truck with a light weight pop up slide in. You can't get more portable than that. You could also pull something behind that like your jeep if you must take it with you or a boat or motorcycle. I think you need a different platform than a modern Airstream. There is a company that makes small all aluminum trailers. I am not sure what the total weight is though.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote