Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2002, 06:43 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Shakedown trip--holding tank draining quest.

I am continuing to explore what is "normal" for different parts of our Airstream.....

Wash is grey water; Main is black....right. When I dumped the black (test panel showed 2/3 full) it did not rush out???? Do you suppose it is clogged. This was the first time it has been used. After waiting the level on the test panel for the main tank went down to 1/3. Then I flushed with the grey and I could hear that.

I also used the flush system on the main tank after that. I have heard of mfg.s leaving the cutouts for the drains in the tanks...do you think I got "lucky"?

Kistler
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 06:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
If you open the valve on the toilet you can see in the black tank and get an idea of the actual level.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 08:55 AM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Dumping black water

Level gages aren't always accurate, especially in black tanks.

You should normally see the hose "surge" when you open the black valve, so much so that it is best to make sure the other end of the hose is well secured (I made that mistake once, years ago). It shouldn't take more than a minute to dump the black tank.

I always stand on the flush pedal for a while to put extra water in the tank before dumping. I do this while still hooked up if not on a full hookup. As 74Argosy24MH said, you can see the level in the tank with the valve open. You can't have too much liquid in the tank.

I also have been known to make an extra loop around the campground to slosh the tank before dumping. This helps get the solids moving.

It wouldn't hurt to open the valves and poke a garden hose in there to see if you hit any obsruction.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 09:10 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Unhappy Shake Down Cruise

Kistler, was the drain hose leaving the valve in a downward position? Was the valve completly open? Any restriction in the hose or the sewer connection? Tom
Old 12-01-2002, 09:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Thank you all for answering....the hose sloped down and had no restrictions.....possibly the gauges are off and it wasn't that full.

We were reallly accustomed (after nine years) to our old Jamboree and its idiosyncracies One interesting thing I noted was that the Valera (sp) brand black coupling would not fit the Airstream's white coupling; luckily the dealer had sent a white fitting that coupled nicely.

How well does Airstream's "clean out" by attaching the shore water really work. On my old rig I had a special hose for going in the people door and putting down the stool; then I was really sure we were cleaned.

Kistler
Old 12-01-2002, 09:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

additional thoughts!!

Kistler,

Do you have the "black water tank flush" in your trailer? If you do, after dumping your blank tank, refill it via the "BW tank flush" and then drain it again. I do this when ever I have water available to help prevent build-up of waste.
Also, you should always leave a few gallons of water in the "black water tank" to prevent solids from drying out and clogging the drain.
John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 09:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Yes, it has that flush thing. I'll use your method.

Kistler