Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2016, 06:27 PM   #1
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Smile Settling down in Boise, Idaho

Wife and I are giving pause to our full-time Airstreaming, for our oldest daughter. We decided to take this opportunity to start investing in multi-family rentals since we'll be stationary for awhile. After a few months of research, we settled on Boise, Idaho and are closing on our first property there.

We're going to continue traveling here and there, but our oldest has some needs that require us to dedicate ourselves to a city. So new transition.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Family always comes FIRST. Idaho is another beautiful state. I hope all works out for you and yours. And keep your Airstream at the ready. Your kids are going to have great memories of their bold adventures.

And stay in touch. You have a lot of followers.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Bold we have thoroughly enjoyed your adventures and posts. The memories you have made with your family will last forever. Been missing you here but peek at your Instagram off and on. Family first.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Nice to be able to look back and say "it's been a great ride", isn't it?

Aren't you glad you took the plunge, went out and embraced your dreams?

Such great memories you have.

Good luck in your next chapter, and I hope everything works out well with your daughter.

Please stay in touch with us here.

Maggie
Old 08-30-2016, 08:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Good luck.

We have Boise on our list to check out in our future travels. So what attracted you to Idaho and Boise in particular?

Thanks

Kelvin
Old 08-30-2016, 08:29 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
We have come to really appreciate Idaho's subtle beauty. There's nothing like the Sawtooth's, but the backcountry near Challis is gorgeous as well. The panhandle is a bit too populated for me, but offers a gateway into the very interesting Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness. And, Boise is a very nice town with skiing close at hand. Such a diverse state.
Best wishes for your next great adventure!

Susan
duncans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:56 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
It sounds like priorities are in order here. We only have the children for a too brief period. Raising them is our most important job. You will be in a beautiful state with many things to do.

You have had a great ride. I will venture to say that the kids looking back on it will say that gave them their fondest memories.

Thanks for taking us along on your journeys. Best to you and your family.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:10 PM   #8
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Good luck.

We have Boise on our list to check out in our future travels. So what attracted you to Idaho and Boise in particular?

Thanks

Kelvin
It's just a good rental market for starts. Solid diverse economy (rare in the PNW outside the coastal cities), growing middle class, vacancy is 2.8%, housing shortage currently and low housing costs. SFH under 150k, MFH 220k - perfect for our current budget. We're picking up a SFH for base of operations we can rent next year when we move to another. And a triplex that will cashflow now. Getting our feet in the game.

Overall, it's a decent launching place for adventure. Crater Lake, where we are now is 6hrs away. Grand Tetons are 5hrs away. I can get to Moab in 6hrs. And we can get into the Saw Tooths in under 2 hours.

Boise is actually only around 200k population, very active outdoors lifestyle based community. Lots of outdoor rec. Bike friendly, family friendly city. Parks everywhere, all in excellent shape. Airid climate, so it doesn't get as cold or as much snow as other parts of Idaho. So overall, it looked like a good city to invest in.

Colorado would of fit our lifestyle too, but housing costs are greater, larger population, higher vacancy and some other factors.

We also want to buy some land outside of Moab. And long term, the eventual goal is to purchase a homestead.

But for now, we just need a home base for awhile. And I don't' want to program forever. I have no good business ideas. Haven't won the lottery and I'm almost to 35 (ekk). So real estate investing is the best thing I can come up with.

We've still got mini travel sessions planned. Glacier at the end of Oct. Back to Florida in Dec.

But we'll be focusing on our families goals, so no more fulltime.

We are keeping the Airstream. Although I have been toying with downsizing.

We shall see.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:32 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
It's been a heckuva journey for you and your family, and it's really just a different chapter. I sorta feel a kinship to you guys since we were somewhat on the same track to jumping the rat race around the same time. This forum and our collective love for all things Airstream, not to mention the great outdoors makes it easy to bond together. Good luck to you - I can't wait to hear from you now and then about your new Boise adventures. Something tells me you'll come up with something.
westcoastas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:34 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Settling down in Boise, Idaho

Best of luck to all of you.

There is nothing better you can do for your family than experiencing travels together. Your priorities are certainly in the right place. Love your children and keep planning adventures of many different kinds.

😀

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . Good Luck on this new adventure. . . We spent a week in Boise a while back & thought it was an interesting town. I'm of the opinion that towns with Colleges are probably going to be happening places, with SOME culture, etc.. . . . Regards, Craig
Old 08-31-2016, 03:46 PM   #12
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
I've always enjoyed your postings based on your experiences. But I know things change and adapting is necessary.

So I wish you the best and look forward to your continued input to the forum from a different perspective!

Thank you!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:33 PM   #13
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Thanks for all the kind words.

Well we have some plans for the Airstream this winter. Want to remodel the kitchen and dinette area. That's if I don't' downsize. Still debating.

Our property has a large RV Pad, one of the reasons I was interested in this particular SFH. Planning on setting up a 30/50 outlet and sewer service, we'll have room for moohdockers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	our house.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	270454  
Old 08-31-2016, 05:10 PM   #14
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Congrats on a successful full-timing tour and on the new stix/brix location! Looks awesome.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:36 PM   #15
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Bold, been fun following you. Best of luck to you and your family. Still hoping our paths will cross one day, even if you are Airstreamless.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:44 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1999 27' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
Fountain Valley , California
Now that you are in Boise, make sure and winterize your Airstream. We loaned one of ours to my sister-in-law for a couple of years, who lives in Boise, and she didn't winterize it. She paid to have the Airstream dealer $800 or $900 to repair the plumbing. They did extremely poor work (they left the expanded copper piping where it hadn't ruptured, and cut out the failed copper and replaced it with clear tubing and hose clamps). The first time the oven was used the tubing completely ruptured.

Do NOT use the Boise Airstream dealer for servicing your Airstream. Also they didn't secure the outside cover for the water heater and when my sister-in-law got it home it no longer had the cover. They tried to replace the cover, but couldn't find one that fit.

I'm personally in the process of completely replacing all the piping in that Airstream (I'm slow though, and haven't been sticking with it, so not sure when I'll get it done). We are currently using our other Airstream.
WindyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:50 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Best of luck in Boise.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:12 PM   #18
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyJim View Post
Now that you are in Boise, make sure and winterize your Airstream.
I know right! This will be a first coming from Florida where it wasn't a concern. I also have to think about my lithium batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
Still hoping our paths will cross one day, even if you are Airstreamless.
We'll never be Airstreamless. I have been thinking a 23D might be the perfect size for boondocking and moving over though. But I am used to the 27 so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ who knows.

We actually have a business idea that involves about 7 vintage Airstreams. My mouth is zipped on that. I love brand and the trailers. And want to encourage more people my age to come over to the brand.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:17 PM   #19
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I have enjoyed your posts, you have made the best decision for your sweet family. Kee in touch here, we love your posts and heck if you have full hookups you could get some income as a city campground! We can even babysit
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:28 PM   #20
Silver Spud

1975 31' Sovereign
Twin Falls , Idaho
Congratulations and welcome to Idaho! We are in Twin Falls and if you have any questions on where to go in the sawtooths for boondocking give me a holler.
shadrick5 is offline   Reply With Quote