Old 09-25-2014, 10:53 AM   #71
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
"Rights and needs separated",,,,,

Welcome to 1984.

The negation of rights IS a slippery slope. Just a fact.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:57 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I have never owned a gun to date....my momma would not even let me have a bb-gun, lol

Having said that, I have no problem with the idea, and prefer to home SOMETHING at my home in the future...problem is I never have the time.

I would need to take a couple courses at least, practice somewhat regularly, and also learn up on laws, etc...

Considering it for RV use is even more complex for me...kids in our airstream...this is pretty mucy a show stopper (for me, for now anyway). Then consider depending on the gun and the particular round, what would a stray bullet do? melt right through the aluminimum and out to hit un-intended targets? spooky....of course the extremely rare yet plausible hypothetical of being under violent attack within your camper also is spooky.

I focus on the fact that much of this discussion revolves around insurance for an extremely rare thing...but one that is horrifying. Some people however are more of a target...I know people with disabilities for example, and sadly, some people that are vulnerable are much more of a target for violent assault than others...if I were such a person, I would carry most likely.

I know these discussions are controversial...I think that is to be expected...but what is quite clear is that if people are going to bring a firearm, they must have training, practice, understand laws in various areas, and be extremely mindful of their surroundings in the case a firearm is discharged.

I simply am not personally where I need to be to responsibly own a firearm...and given my own situation, I will need to take many other steps to mitigate risk..

If I was properly trained, practiced, knowledgeable then I would favor carrying and having a plan of use of the firearm if certain conditions were met.

I imagine here in good ol' Alabama, campers regularly are "packing"...not sure that makes me feel more safe as I frequently do not imagine some of these folks as being trained, practiced, or very competent (not that I could ever be).

Old 09-25-2014, 11:27 AM   #73
Builder of Diesel Jeeps

2014 28' International
Sedona , Arizona
Practical sense - this encompasses planning, confidence (in your judgment), observation, peripheral and environmental awareness, and....trusting your gut (my drummer).

Random event scenarios - within the shortest frame of time possible, clear the mind of everything, remember where you are/know where you are, assess and observe, contemplate the least path of BS to safety, act.

To that end, first, and foremost, the iDevice/radio/infotainment gets shut-down when I need to take-in the site, fueling station, camp, neighborhood, or resting place. I look for silly things such as derelict automobiles, excess litter, lighting, proximity to high-traffic areas. I always look at the tow rigs, always. A rig in good condition is a general reflection of the countenance of the owner. LEO/other vets make me feel more secure (my preference). Did I mention turn off the iDevice while observing?

So the bottom line is, and has been mentioned many times in this thread, generous precaution yields increased chances of a drama-free tour. So far, so good, for me anyway. Results will vary for others.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:05 PM   #74
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
I was rather hung up over the "rights and needs" statement myself...

Excellent post PharmGeek. Im in full agreement on training, and practice.

I'm not sure how often a camper catches on fire. It has never happened to me, or any camper I've known, in the 30+ years I've been camping, yet I still carry a fire extinguisher.

I've never had a flat tire on my truck (I did have one on the camper though) while on a camping trip, yet I carry a spare tire everywhere I go.

I've never seriously cut myself while on a trip, nor has anyone in my party been injured seriously, yet I carry a first aid kit.

I also take precautions not to have a fire, or a flat tire, or a serious injury, and still they can happen, whether because of me, or through no fault of my own, so I prepare myself just in case.

I have, on two different occasions, had people who needed to be dissuaded from harming me, or helping themselves to objects in my possession... Both of those were on long distance trips, one at a store I was exiting, the other when our truck broke down.

So, yeah, I prepare for those situations also. You rarely get to pick the time or the place a fire breaks out, or a flat occurs, or where your truck breaks down, or who hangs around a store parking lot.

Situational awareness can keep you out of a majority of trouble. And, admittedly, I've never had any real trouble in a campground. Had one we left after one restless night (hint:get WAY away from Atlanta before picking a campground) but no trouble in the campground. Matter of fact, I've been completely safe for 99.99% of my life. But that .01% has been no fun at all...

Stay safe my friends!

-Red

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-25-2014, 12:32 PM   #75
Winemaker

2012 28' Flying Cloud
Avila Beach , California
I have traveled extensively in over 60 countries and 20k miles (30 states) in our Airstream in the last 2.5 years. Never had any problem until I was mugged in Boise, Idaho. So...you never know. If you have a "right to carry" in one of the Western states you are pretty much in compliance with most all. California and Washington are the most restrictive but still allow/issue "rights to carry" and I am pretty sure the two states cooperate on their permits. East of the Mississippi is a different story. If I were a thief (or worse) in the West, I would think there would be a high probability that an RV'er would have a gun.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:50 PM   #76
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
"Rights and needs separated",,,,,

Welcome to 1984.

The negation of rights IS a slippery slope. Just a fact.
Actually, in my opinion, that is not a fact, it is an opinion.

Why don't we continue the discussion without having to drag the rights and wrongs of firearm ownership into it.

The question was what precautions do we take. If you carry a firearm, then stating that is a valid post as long as it is stated without bringing the rights or wrongs of it into the discussion.

Equally if someone says that they carry a firearm and someone else expresses the aversion to that, here (Airforums) is not the place to for that discussion either.

If we start discussions about any of a number of currently politically hot button issues here, the only purpose achieved is to polarize the forum's membership. You won't change anyone's mind. There are plenty of other forums on the internet where you are invited to argue and get upset with each other.

I personally would like to continue using Airforums as a amicable social and technical resource. In is my opinion that discussing politically hot issues is destructive to that goal.

I am not a moderator, nor have any desire to be one. However I do enjoy the usefulness of the site for the purposes for which it was designed. So I am going to say something when I feel that those purposes are being subverted by political agendas whether I agree with them or not.

Ken
Old 09-25-2014, 12:55 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Self defense precautions

I think not talking about " hot button issues" is just silly.

We should remain civil , but I am not much for the notion of restricted speech.

What is a right? Do we hope to abide by the Bill of Needs?

Who determines what needs are?

Old 09-25-2014, 12:58 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
The topic of the thread is "self defense precautions".

Some people do believe that firearms are a valid means of self defense, especially when concerning our domicile , mobile or otherwise.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:01 PM   #79
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
I think he might have been saying, "Yes, you have a right to carry, but do you have a need to carry when camping?" At least, that's the way I'm interpreting it...

Man, all those miles, and then get mugged in Boise! I'd be mad! If I'm going to get mugged, I want it to be epic, like Miami, or New York City. Mugged in Boise would just disappoint me...

-Red

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-25-2014, 01:04 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I have bear spray right by the door. Someone needs to invent a cell phone app that sounds like a Remington 870 shotgun jacking in a shell.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
Old 09-25-2014, 01:04 PM   #81
3 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
We've never taken along anything that even remotely resembles a defensive weapon, be it a knife or a spray or whatever; it's not something we'd ever consider. We do, though, camp very much "ON the beaten track".

As others have said, being aware of your surroundings is a good means of staying safe; if it doesn't feel right, just move on. From judging your surroundings, other actions such as settling down early and locking the doors, will fall into place.

We sometimes travel with our Greyhound, who's scared of her own shadow, but can look and sound very scary if she thinks she's under threat. I doubt she'd be much of a defender but she could at least run away quite quickly.

It's a very personal issue for everyone, and I certainly wouldn't criticise what others do, but we've been fine and we always enjoy our camping.
Cool, We had a retired racing Greyhound. Best dog ever. If you ever have one, you won't want any other type dog. IMHO
Very loud bark, if you could get her to bark. Try to take her chew bone, and you get a excellent growl.
They are an excellent deterrent.

I haven't had anything stolen from a campsite yet, but I sure have left stuff behind. (not meaning to)
Have a good one!
Old 09-25-2014, 01:11 PM   #82
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
I think not talking about " hot button issues" is just silly.

We should remain civil , but I am not much for the notion of restricted speech.

What is a right? Do we hope to abide by the Bill of Needs?
You have the legal right to say just about anything here you want. However, consideration for other users and for those that took the time to setup and run these forums is I believe just common decency. I have been known at times to have a potty mouth. However, I am aware that others here would be offended by that type of thing, so in respect to them, I restrain from that here. The forums may seem like a public place, but in effect it is not. It is the home of those that set it up and work to keep it running and I believe they have the right to have their guests conduct themselves according to the published rules they have established.

However I'm not in charge here, so feel free to say whatever you wish, but don't be surprised if your "right" to participate in the forums is curtailed by those who have the "right" and even more important the ability to curtail it.

Ken
Old 09-25-2014, 01:16 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Self defense precautions

Hey, the forum can delete my comments at will,,, but I don't think I have violated any rules here. My remarks are on topic and I am being rude to no one.

Is it indecent to claim rights as written in The Bill of Rights?

How so?

Old 09-25-2014, 01:30 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have always kept loaded guns.
Thank goodness I have never had to use one.
I keep a loaded .45 by my pillow and a loaded 12 gauge behind the living room door at home.
In the trailer I sleep with a .357 within reach.
Now I lay me down to sleep-
A Glock 9 at my head I keep...

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
Closed Thread