Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 12:04 PM   #81
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
We've never taken along anything that even remotely resembles a defensive weapon, be it a knife or a spray or whatever; it's not something we'd ever consider. We do, though, camp very much "ON the beaten track".

As others have said, being aware of your surroundings is a good means of staying safe; if it doesn't feel right, just move on. From judging your surroundings, other actions such as settling down early and locking the doors, will fall into place.

We sometimes travel with our Greyhound, who's scared of her own shadow, but can look and sound very scary if she thinks she's under threat. I doubt she'd be much of a defender but she could at least run away quite quickly.

It's a very personal issue for everyone, and I certainly wouldn't criticise what others do, but we've been fine and we always enjoy our camping.
Cool, We had a retired racing Greyhound. Best dog ever. If you ever have one, you won't want any other type dog. IMHO
Very loud bark, if you could get her to bark. Try to take her chew bone, and you get a excellent growl.
They are an excellent deterrent.

I haven't had anything stolen from a campsite yet, but I sure have left stuff behind. (not meaning to)
Have a good one!
Old 09-25-2014, 12:11 PM   #82
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
I think not talking about " hot button issues" is just silly.

We should remain civil , but I am not much for the notion of restricted speech.

What is a right? Do we hope to abide by the Bill of Needs?
You have the legal right to say just about anything here you want. However, consideration for other users and for those that took the time to setup and run these forums is I believe just common decency. I have been known at times to have a potty mouth. However, I am aware that others here would be offended by that type of thing, so in respect to them, I restrain from that here. The forums may seem like a public place, but in effect it is not. It is the home of those that set it up and work to keep it running and I believe they have the right to have their guests conduct themselves according to the published rules they have established.

However I'm not in charge here, so feel free to say whatever you wish, but don't be surprised if your "right" to participate in the forums is curtailed by those who have the "right" and even more important the ability to curtail it.

Ken
Old 09-25-2014, 12:16 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Self defense precautions

Hey, the forum can delete my comments at will,,, but I don't think I have violated any rules here. My remarks are on topic and I am being rude to no one.

Is it indecent to claim rights as written in The Bill of Rights?

How so?

Old 09-25-2014, 12:30 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have always kept loaded guns.
Thank goodness I have never had to use one.
I keep a loaded .45 by my pillow and a loaded 12 gauge behind the living room door at home.
In the trailer I sleep with a .357 within reach.
Now I lay me down to sleep-
A Glock 9 at my head I keep...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
Old 09-25-2014, 12:34 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
I have bear spray right by the door. Someone needs to invent a cell phone app that sounds like a Remington 870 shotgun jacking in a shell.

There are several. Go to any ap store and search for "shotgun". Novelty sound but nothing like the sound of a real shotgun chambering a round.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 09-25-2014, 12:40 PM   #86
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Hey, the forum can delete my comments at will,,, but I don't think I have violated any rules here. My remarks are on topic and I am being rude to no one.

How so?
Well according to the the law in some circumstances it is. For instance it is illegal to use certain words on public broadcast channels. Does that violate the right to free speech? I don't know. In any case, I quoted your post, because it was the last when I posted and stated something I personally believe to be an opinion as a fact. . If you search the forums, you will find many threads containing flame wars on firearms. They almost all end in closure, because one side or the other can't just let it be. I felt this was going that way. In any any case let's both agree to disagree on this and let the thread get back to its intent rather than who has the right to do what.

Ken
Old 09-25-2014, 12:41 PM   #87
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:

How so?
They already deleted mine, but the Bill of Rights applies to in public. This is technically a business. And they can run it as they see fit.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:42 PM   #88
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
aware of your surroundings

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgwaldrop View Post
Practical sense - this encompasses planning, confidence (in your judgment), observation, peripheral and environmental awareness, and....trusting your gut (my drummer).

Random event scenarios - within the shortest frame of time possible, clear the mind of everything, remember where you are/know where you are, assess and observe, contemplate the least path of BS to safety, act.

To that end, first, and foremost, the iDevice/radio/infotainment gets shut-down when I need to take-in the site, fueling station, camp, neighborhood, or resting place. I look for silly things such as derelict automobiles, excess litter, lighting, proximity to high-traffic areas. I always look at the tow rigs, always. A rig in good condition is a general reflection of the countenance of the owner. LEO/other vets make me feel more secure (my preference). Did I mention turn off the i-Device while observing?

So the bottom line is, and has been mentioned many times in this thread, generous precaution yields increased chances of a drama-free tour. So far, so good, for me anyway. Results will vary for others.
^ This ! Always be aware of your surroundings.
Stay safe out there !
Old 09-25-2014, 12:48 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
They already deleted mine, but the Bill of Rights applies to in public. This is technically a business. And they can run it as they see fit.

I agree, the forum may be run as the administrators choose, it is a right of ownership. The forums right to take down my posts and ban me is not what I was talking about though.

I still say I have not broken any forum rules, and I intend not to.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:26 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
For those who are worried about shooting through a trailer wall how about using a "shot shell". .38 Caliber shot shells work wonders on snakes and other miscreants.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
Old 09-25-2014, 01:28 PM   #91
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
So the front door flies open in the middle of the night with a guy coming in yelling something, you fire off three quick rounds. One drops the intruder, another hits a child sleeping in front, and a third goes through your aluminum trailer and the next hitting a neighbor's sleeping wife. Oh, the intruder was the neighbor warning that your truck is on fire.

This is a scenario I would worry about. My wife and I have military careers with firearm training, have firearms at home for sport, and for the safety of us and our fellow campers and to keep us out of criminal court we leave them at home.

Hard tropic to discuss without offending someone. Perhaps rights and needs should be separated.
The followup remarks make the point. One can easily misunderstand another's good intentions.

The intention here is not the separation of rights and needs on a Constitutional scale, only a suggestion to keep this particular discussion more civil.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Old 09-25-2014, 01:45 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Respectfully, it seems that some find even the mention of firearms for the purpose of self defense uncivil.

I don't think that is true.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:59 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Sad reading. I thought this forum was about trailers, camping, and the great outdoors.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:22 PM   #94
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Self defense precautions

Do you likewise find "the Music Association Challenge" off topic?

I have carried firearms in my Airstream to use for recreational shooting... (I.e. Target practice)

Old 09-25-2014, 03:22 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
"Sad reading. I thought this forum was about trailers, camping, and the great outdoors."

I am fairly agnostic on much of these issues...but I do not follow your meaning TinTin?

Do you mean that the subject of carrying a firearm in any sense should not be discussed within a forum about "trailers, camping, and the great outdoors"?

I may have misunderstood your meaning.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:28 PM   #96
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
"... a shotgun IS allowed in Canada."
Kindly note that a shotgun or rifle are only for competitive shooting or hunting (with a permit) in Canada, and this must be documentable. Weapons strictly for personal protection are NOT permitted to be brought into Canada. The link below clarifies this.

Canada Welcomes You!

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Old 09-25-2014, 03:40 PM   #97
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTin View Post
I consider sleeping with firearms under the pillow while camping exceptionally sad. Last post from me on this...
I own firearms, but I am saddened by how, once firearms are mentioned in just about any thread on the AirForums, the entire thread gets hijacked by the gun nuts! Before the subject of firearms came up, this was actually a useful, helpful, and thought-provoking thread! So long...I am done with this thread, as well.

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 09-25-2014, 03:47 PM   #98
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
So the front door flies open in the middle of the night with a guy coming in yelling something, you fire off three quick rounds. One drops the intruder, another hits a child sleeping in front, and a third goes through your aluminum trailer and the next hitting a neighbor's sleeping wife. Oh, the intruder was the neighbor warning that your truck is on fire.

This is a scenario I would worry about. My wife and I have military careers with firearm training, have firearms at home for sport, and for the safety of us and our fellow campers and to keep us out of criminal court we leave them at home.

Hard tropic to discuss without offending someone. Perhaps rights and needs should be separated.
Same here.

My comments where deleted.

In one of them I mentioned that last resort is something most don't actually think about. Someone mentioned a guy stumbling in drunk and his first response was to point his pistol at him.

LEO's and Military on the ground are taught to evaluate a situation and when to use force.

The power of life and death is really a last resort.

All human life is valuable.

A locked door and you shouldn't have to worry about whose inside.

Because I have kids now, and we're going to travel/full time I'm just going to sell mine and brush up on my Krav Maga, maybe get a baton.

Less to worry about.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:40 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbler5 View Post
I own firearms, but I am saddened by how, once firearms are mentioned in just about any thread on the AirForums, the entire thread gets hijacked by the gun nuts! Before the subject of firearms came up, this was actually a useful, helpful, and thought-provoking thread! So long...I am done with this thread, as well.
But to be fair you have to include the anti gun nuts also. Some people are brought up to believe that all guns are bad, that anyone that disagrees with them is a "gun nut" and that the government/police will protect them. Usually all the police can do is clean up after the fact. They do very little to prevent violent crime. I am not mad, just a concerned and prepared citizen.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 09-25-2014, 04:52 PM   #100
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secguru View Post
Kindly note that a shotgun or rifle are only for competitive shooting or hunting (with a permit) in Canada, and this must be documentable. Weapons strictly for personal protection are NOT permitted to be brought into Canada. The link below clarifies this.

Canada Welcomes You!
You need to go back and finish reading on the link you provided. Prohibited handguns can be brought into the country provided they meet certain requirements and that you register them. Once requirement for a handgun is the barrel cannot be shorter than 4.1 inches or 105 mm.

Quote:
Restricted firearms such as pistols or revolvers may be temporarily imported if you have an Authorization to Transport (ATT) in advance from a Canadian Chief Firearms Officer.
Closed Thread