Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2003, 10:59 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

security from theft?

my wife asked me today . . "what would keep someone from backing up to our trailer (when we are not around) and driving off with it?"
. . . well, i guess i don't know. What do you do for security. Ours is a 22' safari Thanks for any ideas---tim
kc airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 12:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb You could

kc airstreamer
  • 1. Install wheel locks.
    2. Install tongue lock.
    3. Store behind security fenced area.
    4. Take lots of pictures and, carry insurance.
    5. Just assume that it's not lkely to happen
    and, enjoy a peace of mind.

Frankly, the chance of it happening are rare. You and, your wife are smart to be thinking about, "what if's"..

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 04:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
The most cost-effective "peace of mind" is the tongue lock which you can pick up at any RV or trailer store.
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 04:36 AM   #4
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Talking Sell the Safari and...

buy a new 34' tri-axle with slideout. At almost 9,000 lbs dry with a 1,200 lb tongue weight, you can rest assured that there's NOTHING short of an 18 wheeler tractor that can tow it out of your driveway!!!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 06:55 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

thanks for the response! I think i am going to hold off on the tri-axle solution. But Roger, i will remember your advise!
thanks
kc airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 09:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
security

I bought a wheel lock and used it for first time today. It's the Pitbull from Tirelock.com.

Wasn't cheap but it is easy to set up and has an option to keep someone from taking off the lugs/wheel. I feel better now leaving the trailer since I've done everything I can do to secure it (also have hitch lock etc.) Jim
Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 10:08 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Kenney , Texas
Re: security

Quote:
Originally posted by jfsjr
I bought a wheel lock and used it for first time today. It's the Pitbull from Tirelock.com.

Wasn't cheap but it is easy to set up and has an option to keep someone from taking off the lugs/wheel. I feel better now leaving the trailer since I've done everything I can do to secure it (also have hitch lock etc.) Jim
Just wondering: is a "hitch lock" the same as a "tongue lock"? How do those work? Are they expensive?
Old 09-19-2003, 11:05 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

I think the term "hitch lock" (or "locking receiver hitch pin") describes a locking pin which locks your ball/mount to the receiver of your tow vehicle.

A "tongue lock" (or a "coupler lock") locks to your trailer.

Masterlock makes a few different coupler locks. The one with the ball that locks into the coupler fits my trailer the best, and is very sturdy. I found that the type that is supposed to slide on the "flanges" on the bottom of the coupler didn't fit --the flanges on my old trailer were too thick. Perhaps they also come in a bigger size, I don't know.

There's also "pin lock" that fits in the hole of your Marvel coupler lever. They're kind of a nuisance to apply, and they don't provide that much security, in my opinion (someone could still put a smaller sized ball in the coupler, and drive away).

There are some locks shown at the following site:
http://www.tjtrailers.com/store/lock...-brackets.html
63flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 11:30 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

I leave the ball/mount (complete with locking receiver hitch pin) connected to the coupler on the trailer and padlock the coupler lever. It provides some security and a place to store the hitch.
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 11:38 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
We're considering the TOTAL peace of mind:
"Lo-Jack", a satellite retrieval system which guarantees they'll find your AS within 24hrs from when you activate the alarm.

The way this system works is the following:
- a "bug" (just like the CIA uses) will be hidden in your AS, usually on the frame, it is very small and it is hidden in different places all the time. You and the mechanic are going to be the only ones to know where.
- also, there's a silent motion detector that goes with this bug. Once you activate the system, if anyone, moves your unit without disactivating the system a silent message will be sent to you, via phone, pager or/and email.
You'll then be able to check if you were moving it but forgot to turn the alarm off or if it's being stolen. If it is, you call the police and lojack, they'll activate the retrieval system and the police will immediately know the exact location (only 50 feet error margin!) of your AS.

Friends of ours got their Mercedes back in 5 hours with no damages/scratches!

The total cost, with set up and lifetime guarantee is approx. $900. Expensive but most insuarnces will give you a discount on your comp. If we can't find a fenced/secure winter storage we'll probably go for it.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
A sign works too.

NOTICE. This vehicle is armed with an explosive device. ANY movement will set off an explosion that will destroy the front end, AND whatever is attached to it.

Guaranteed!!!!

Only a fool would put it to the test.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 01:52 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Cute

Andy
Quote:
Only a fool would put it to the test.
Wouldn't you agree?
"That, only a fool would attempt to steal an Airstream??".

ciao

btw, thanks for the promptness on my recent order.`
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 01:58 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Too high tech

All these solutions are way too high tech. All you need is a good ol' Junkyard Dawg. With enough theves around, you don't even need to feed him.

CHOMP....CHOMP.....
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 05:42 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

I had same question!

The above are good ideas, and a few more:

1) You can get as radical as removing a set of wheels!

2) In conjuction with a hitch lock/wheel lock, park your tow vehicle in front of it.

And, to make sure the _tow vehicle_ does not get stolen, remove the fuel pump fuse, or the main plug wire.