Old 10-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #1

Waukesha , Wisconsin
Security Alarm Recommendations

We will soon be new Airstream owners and feel that it would be a good idea to install an alarm system. We want to protect against theft of the trailer itself and also breakin. Interior motion detection is not an option since we have a pet that would be left in the trailer. A wireless system and one that makes a loud noise on entry, scaring off an intruder, is preferred. If someone could recommend a make and model that they have used and are happy with, we would appreciate it.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiencek View Post
We will soon be new Airstream owners and feel that it would be a good idea to install an alarm system. We want to protect against theft of the trailer itself and also breakin. Interior motion detection is not an option since we have a pet that would be left in the trailer. A wireless system and one that makes a loud noise on entry, scaring off an intruder, is preferred. If someone could recommend a make and model that they have used and are happy with, we would appreciate it.
Let me tell you a story…
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away (A couple of decades ago, in New Orleans) I had a neighbor, who was very proud of his brand-spanking new imported sports car. He installed the very best alarm in it, and made a point of testing the alarm where everyone in the neighborhood could hear it.

Fast-forward a couple of weeks. One of the neighborhood miscreants decided that such a fine automobile must contain goodies worth stealing. Unlike many miscreants who tend to be less than brilliant, and somewhat thuggish, this one was really quite clever. He swatted the sports car's windshield with a tolled-up newspaper to make the alarm go off. Then he ran and hid, and waited for the owner to come out to check on the car and rest the alarm. A few minutes later, he did it again. And again. And again. Eventually, the owner got tired of resetting the alarm. And all of the neighbors, myself included, got tired of looking to see what all of the commotion was. The next time the alarm went off, the miscreant broke into the car— while the alarm was blaring loudly— and stole everything of value from inside. Once the alarm quit blaring loudly all on its own in a few minutes, the miscreant even stole the alarm system!

The owner of the no-longer-beautiful sports car was terribly embarrassed when he filed a police report the next morning, and reported that his alarm system was stolen. The miscreant was never caught, but he must have achieved much street cred for sheer chutzpah.

The moral of the story is, an alarm system is not there to scare off a thief. It's there to let you know there's something wrong, so that you can check on it. So, unless you plan to check on the trailer every time the alarm goes off, there's not much point having the alarm.

Unless installing the alarm gets you a lower insurance premium, and the amount you save on the premium is enough to pay for the alarm, it may not be worth the hassle of finding one and installing it, and recharging your house batteries more often to keep it powered up.

I do have an alarm on my Airstream Interstate. And every single time the alarm goes off, I run out to see what set off the alarm. Doesn't matter if it's the middle of the night, or the middle of a thunderstorm. If the alarm goes off, I go look. Period.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #3

Waukesha , Wisconsin
I will keep your story in mind. What type of alarm do you have or recommend?
Old 10-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiencek View Post
I will keep your story in mind. What type of alarm do you have or recommend?
Remember, mine is an Interstate motorhome, not a trailer. If you're looking for trailer alarms, mine probably won't be the best fit. I have a Viper alarm system, which I had professionally installed.

A roughly comparable system for trailers is the Pro Tec PTS-2P (pager version, 1 mile range) or PTS-2C (cell version, will send text message alerts to up to three cell phones). One nice thing about this system is that it will lock up your trailer brakes when the alarm sounds.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Odenton , Maryland
If you have a solar panel to maintain the battery you can get the ADT alarm system with built in cell service. I had this in my house with no phone line. I know it would work but do not know if ADT would do it since your location changes. Best case they would email you or call you when the alarm goes off.

- WBCCI #3750;; CMU #166, 2nd Region
- 2015 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour EXT
- 2016Airstream 22FB Sport
Tadashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
There's a device called a Smart Tracker. It's a Gps tracking device that sends you an alert if your trailer is moved, kind of like a LoJack. It won't alert the thieves that break into your trailer, put you can catch them if they move it 8 feet.