Old 06-17-2003, 06:27 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Screened enclosures

While at Fort Wilderness in Florida last week, we found it to be impossible to sit outside at anytime of the day with the exception of early mornig because of Deer flies.

This has made us think of adding a Tropic Room Screen Enclosure to our Bambi. We have a Zip Dee awning so I called Zip Dee who estimated that the cost for the screened room would be almost $900!

Has anyone added such a thing to their Airstream and, if so, from whom was the enclosure purchased and for what kind of price.

Ed L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 06:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
You might try Camping World or Camper's Choice. They don't handle ZipDee, but I have seen patio enclosures in their catalogs.

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 08:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Ed L.

Attaching a non Zip Dee screened enclosure to a Zip Dee awning will create a headache you really don't want. Other brands will not begin to fit.

The Zip Dee also has a built in compartment at the bottom, that you fill with water. Others don't. They have other features as well.

You have the best awning, stay with the best enclosure.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 08:47 AM   #4
2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
My wife and I have been real happy with a 13' x 13' screen house/enclosure that we purchased from LL Bean for about 250.00. I know that this does not attach to the Airstream, but it sure makes those buggy days/nites plenty tolerable.

We bought one of the really cheap screen enclosures a Kmart. After going insane and spouting every imaginable profanity in all languages, we returned it. There are about 50 poles that have to be set-up just so, or you end up with a sad looking Hotel West Nile.

The LL Bean job is pricey, but can be set-up in a matter of minutes, with its' convenient shock corded polls.

Good luck.

crazylev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland

Can you please tell mme which screen house you purchased from LL bean

urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:03 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
My Interstate has a Fiamma F65 awning, so I purchased a Fiamma Privacy Room to go with it. But it's a royal pain to set up, sometimes, because you need a ladder to do it.

So, I also purchased a freestanding Coleman 10×10 canopy and the screen enclosure to go with it, that I can set up over the picnic table. Got them at Walmart. Much easier to set up, and since it covers the picnic table, it's much more useful as well. Now if only it would keep out ants…
WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:29 AM   #7
Rivet Master
2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
I remember my Dad's '76 Sovereign had the Tropic Room. IIRC, they installed snaps along the lower rubrail for an apron. It was totally enclosed, with a floor, so bug protection was great. The other great thing about it was effectively doubling the living space.
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
we had the same problem. screen walls but no attached floor.

the walls on our enclosure were straight along the bottom but our sites raely were and the walls were not really long enought to reach the ground.

the walls were attached to the vertical poles with tensioned hooks inserted into holes in the poles.

one day at a camp site i took a hack saw and removed about 2 inches from the bottom of each pole - then replaced the rubber plugs.

there were still holes left for the tension hooks.

this is a rather cheap enclosure so i didn't mind the surgery.

this brought the bottom edges of the walls into better contact with the ground.

i also light an "off" bug candle inside the screen room. ina real buggy area you can use a bug-fogger and spray around the outside perimeter.

i have been unable to find a screen room with a floor.
Jon & Deb
Phoebe & Ellis - Airstreaming Mini-Schauzers

I Don’t Always Pull A Trailer
But When I Do - I Pull An Airstream
Keep Moving My Friends
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I use Bonine insect repellant granules on the ground (it's natural, garlic and lemon grass) than set up a 10x10 screened room (from Dicks). As a backup for bugs, a Thermacell lantern is great. It covers a 15 ft diameter and lasts about 6-8 hours. It's pricy but worth it
Also Absorbine for gnats, flys and no seeums; this is besides the aches and pains.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Another idea is to purchase a regular tent that has large windows and use it as an extra shelter on your camp site. This works if you are spending a couple days in the same spot and there are lots of bugs.
We use a 6 person dome tent purchased at REI. It's nice to put chairs and portable table in there and play cards, enjoy a camp fire and not get bothered by pests.. In addition, there is enough room for a couple of large dogs too. Since it has a floor, and no-seeum screening it keeps out all bugs, snakes, etc.
I can't remember the price I paid but, watch for their yearly sales and I'll bet it would cost under $200.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
We got this tent for when our granddaughters come with us. We use the Bambi for meals, showers, toilet, etc.; but during the summer, they like to "camp" outside, so this gives them a little privacy and someplace to call their own.

This 8-person tent would probably be crowded for six people, but it's humongous for two teenagers. The 6-person tent would probably be fine for most, and it's quite a bit less.

* 8-person dome tent: Coleman Montana 8 Tent: Sports & Outdoors

* 6-person dome tent: Coleman Montana 6 Tent: Sports & Outdoors

Note: I have no financial connection to other than being a satisfied customer. These tents are widely available from other retailers; e.g., I have seen them at Costco similarly priced.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #12
2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois

Take a look at this:

Woodlands Screen House: Screen Houses | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

The one thing that I didn't like about our model was the zipper door which required lots of bending over, an occasional bond in zipper due to dirt close to ground after a rain.

The model above is like ours but maybe with a more sensible door closure.

Good luck.

Sometimes I wish I were living in the stone age. Then I would know I'm the smartest person in the world.
crazylev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marietta , Georgia
I have posted pics here before of the screen room addition we made. It hangs from our Zipdee and uses our awning mat as its floor. We made a skirt for the Airstream as well which attaches with riveted-on snaps. It is wonderful!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland

I have been looking at that one but it is only 10 x 10 and I am concerned that it will not fit well over picnic table. the one you mentioned was 13 x 13. If yours is a 10 x 10 how does it fit over a picnic table.

urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote