Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2002, 08:15 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Scaaarrryyyyy Moments.....

Well, Halloween is a week away. Whata' ya say we spook ourselves with a "scary moment" relived!? Here's mine. Oct. '95, on a two week trip to Ohio (to see folks and family) headed home to New Mexico, fall foilage at peak, clear days and crisp cool nights, all was right with the world. I-65 S x SW headed down the mountain into Nashville, TN north of (what I call) the gorge bridge. Traffic was moderate, when all of a sudden here comes 80,000 lbs of cab-over outlaw speedin' down the mountain as if his rig was on fire and he was tryin' to put the flames out with speed. Instead of using the "hammer lane" he pulled right behind me relieving my AS of ALL rear-end down force as well as pushing air underneath my rig. SWAY CONTROL MY FOOT!! When he did move to the outside lane I regained downforce and decellerated to regain sway control about 150 feet from "The Gorge Bridge"! That was NOT a ride I would buy a ticket for. That's mine, let's hear yours (and keep the Depends handy! ) Oscar
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 11:00 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
> Scaaarrryyyyy Moments.....

As a constant friend of Murphy's Law, I have had a number of close calls with disaster when out on the road.

In 2002, there was the incident on the way home from the International Rally in Rapid City, South Dakota when the electric tongue jack on my '64 Overlander decided to try to be a pogo stick while traveling down the Interstate - - crossed wires in a newly installed power inverter were causing electrical current to flow to all circuits through the ground - - the tongue jack was raising and lowering on its own and created a sensation like the truck's suspension was bottoming out each time it hit the ground - - happend three times before I stopped to check it out - - cut the wires and manually raised the jack.

In 2000, it was the disintegrating spare tire carrier. We were traveling along a particularly rough section of secondary highway in North Dakota on the Wagon Wheel Caravan when a weld on my spare tire carrier failed, sending the spare tire bounding down the highway behind my rig - - it bounded over the top of the Oldsmobile Cutlass that had been tailgating my trailer - - hit the highway just ahead of another VAC unit that was approaching from the rear and veered off onto the shoulder of the road without causing an accident or damage to other vehicles or even the spare tire itself - - it is still inservice as my spare tire.

In 1998, it was the west bound Lincoln Continental whose driver had had a heart attack causing loss of control - - the cruise control was still on as the car veered across the median heading directly for my (eastbound) '64 Overlander and tow rig - - a passenger gained control of the vehicle and was able to keep it on the eastbound shoulder until the car coasted to a stop - - needless to say I was a bit panic stricken.

In 1982, the scariest moment of my RVing days ocurred just 2.5 miles from my home. With a brand new tow car and my 2 year old Nomad (18 ft. single axle) trailer, something in the suspension of the trailer failed causing a tire to blow - - the resulting incidents caused the tow vehicle and trailer to go into a 180 degree skid in the path of an approaching semi trailer truck - - I don't know how the truck managed to stop without hitting us - - the trailer and tow car landed on their wheels along the westbound shoulder of the road - - we had been headed eastbound. The force of the skid bent the axle, broke a spring and bent the hub spider on the tire that didn't blow on the trailer. The tow car's only damage was two mangled bumper guards on the rear bumper where the trailer's "A" frame hitch made contact during the skid.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 11:12 AM   #3
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
jeepers creepers

Now that is scary!
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 11:31 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Not an RVing experience, but a towing experience: I left the farm towing a full manure spreader with an open station tractor. (No cab). It was below freezing but no percipitation. About halfway, it started snowing cats and dogs. It was getting slick when I reached the top of a hill that was 1/2 mile from the field I was headed to. Realizing it was slick when I reached the top of the hill I slowed and downshifted to a gear that would put me around 5 MPH and started down the hill slowly. As I started down the hill I could feel the rig starting to slide sideways. I looked ahead and saw a furniture delivery van headed towards me in the oncoming lane. I realized I was probably going to die one of two ways, a collision with the truck, or a rollover. Chances of surviving an open station tractor rollover are about 1%. Thankfully the alert driver of the furniture van saw what was happening and stopped!The tractor/manure spreader kept going down the hill sideways and I ended up jackknifed in the ditch facing the opposite direction I was headed about 20 feet from the stopped furniture truck! No damage was done, and I drove right out of the ditch, wearing a clean pair of underwear.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 09:21 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Smile Manure Spreader Fright!

Are you saying you actually bring along a change of
undergarments when you transfer a fully loaded
manure spreader from field to field via the roads?

Or are you saying you are in such superior control of
yourself during such an experience
that an extra pair of duds was unnecessary.

I passed an accident on the interstate, which fortunately
had no fatalities...The driver in question though...He
certainly needed to have a clean pair of undergarments
and trousers,as well... I'm sure he was so happy to have
come out of the event unharmed that being scared '___less'
was no problem....

Your stories of hairraising experiences are a lesson, to
be sure.
Old 10-26-2002, 04:16 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Close call with our new Bambi

This summer we bought our new 2003 Bambi, as I've mentioned before, and we were returning from our first venture with it. We had been to a Jack Russell Terrier event (we enter terrier trials) in Canada, and were driving home toward Cincinnati. We were very pleased with the Bambi's towing ease, and how stable it always pulls. Well, it had just started raining, and the roads were pretty slick, but traffic wasn't running too fast, so we felt pretty secure. For some reason, my husband looked away for just a second, and when he looked back, he realized we were suddenly barreling down on the van in front of us and couldn't stop in time to keep from hitting it. So Tom quickly whipped our truck to the left into the oncoming lane (which had been empty for some time, apparently from an accident down the road) with such force that I just KNEW our little Bambi would be on its side by the time we could get straightened. I just held on to the passenger bar, looked in the rear view mirror and kept repeating, " Oh My God! Oh My God!." Tom had somehow kept the truck on the road and ended up parallel with the car two cars up from the car he had almost crashed into and had steered to avoid. And guess what! Little Bambi stayed right with us, didn't sway, didn't slide, and didn't even tip one inch, as far as we could tell! From that point on, I had complete confidence that that little Bambi was the most stable little trailer we would ever own!

By the way, the dealer we purchased it from didn't tell us rookies that we needed a brake controller...otherwise, this probably never would have happened. As soon as we got home and told people about our little adventure, we were told to get a brake controller immediately! Wouldn't you think the dealers would have told us that, since we told them we had never pulled a trailer before???

Cherie
KY Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 04:57 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Kentucky Girl, we have Jack Russells too! Best dogs in the whole world. My mother in law breeds them and sells them. These two are bother and sister, same mother, different father.

FranceyS, yes I do have control of my bodily functions during crisis situations!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cal_ler.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	719  
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Old 10-26-2002, 05:11 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Talking Cool! Another JRT Nut!

Wow, Francey, it's great to hear from a fellow JRT freak.

Come on over to jackrussels.com and join hundreds of other Jack lovers. We've met and made wonderful friendships over the years because of our little buddies. Since you travel, maybe you could come to one of our annual Jackapalooza events!

Come on over, register, and join in the fun on the main forum. We love new members! Tell'em Cherie sent you!

Cherie

P.S. Here are our two! I call this picture "Jacks in the Box."

[IMG]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QQBpZd4VPLW61SlMtH4ylLUhZ3Y!eKPLnM8I!srrFhDjhf63n kJGNCfcxTh96W0*qIwISLLdB*JJrZgwP3C!NlWeMeJRfEhsIgD gvbh9b0E/jacks-in-the-box.jpg[/IMG]

Hmmmm...not sure why I can't get the image to work??
Old 10-26-2002, 05:36 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Kentucky Girl, it looks like you are trying to post your picture as a link, from another website. Try attaching a file that you already have in YOUR computer. Hope this helps!
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Old 10-26-2002, 06:04 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Smile AHAAAA!

Okay, here are my babies. I just went to the browse button and attached the file just like I'd attach a file to an email. Imagine that! When in doubt, follow directions!

Cherie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jacks in the box.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	721  
Old 10-26-2002, 07:09 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Best breed: Blue Heelers

Best Breed: Blue Heelers

Kentucky Girl: Thank you for the invitation to the Jack Russell
breed...but, I'm not an owner of a JR.....PICK put two messages
in one message and apparently it looked as if I were a
JR owner. It's true, the JR is a marvelous pet BUT...
from personal choice I vote for the Blue Heeler...of Tennessee...
I could
go on and on about her intelligence, loyalty, superior companionship and so on but I'll spare you...<smile>

This was a thread about SCARY OCCURRENCES......and my Pooks is just not scary. She's very lovable, and she loves everyone she encounters, so I'll end this right now...<smile> Thanks for giving me the opportunity to introduce my wonderful friend and companion, Pooks.
Bye. Francey.
Old 10-27-2002, 08:23 AM   #12
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
This is no bull!!!

Not a travel trailer inident, but definitely a trailer incident.

I was hauling a newly bought Hereford bull home in my tandem stock trailer. I had put the bull in the forward half of the trailer, closed the swinging door, and twisted a piece of barbless fence wire around where the door latch had been at some prior time.

I was scooting down the 2-lane country road about 50 when the wire let loose, the door swung open and the 1200# bull decided to investigate the rear of the trailer. I was towing with a '73 Blazer and I was suddenly exploring bath lanes and both shoulders. The back of the low-slung stock trailer was scraping the road and the back wheels of the Blazer were barely touching the ground. Only the fact that there was no oncoming traffic saved the day.

The bull was all bruised up and limping when we finally got home and I straightaway made a new latch for that door.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote