Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2002, 02:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Sale of Airstream

I ended up selling my 1977 Excella 500 prior to fixing the brake system. A local individual bought it (for a song of course) and told me it was going to Japan. He was an intermediary for someone else who sold it to a japanese industrialist. It was sad to see it go after living in it for thirteen and a half years. The buyer told me where it was going after we closed the deal. He called me to ask how to get in after the lock would not work. I told him to crawl through the curbside locker, raise the bed, and open the door. It worked but I am glad that he did not get stuck. The real buyer was there with a diesel truck and took off with it (the tires were only 13 plus years old) and I assume it is now in Japan. That ends my Airstream days, at least for now.
I now live in a 1996 Cavco 14 by 52 mobile home. I cannot believe how much stuff I had in that Airstream.
excelladep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 03:34 PM   #2
hex

Angry All Good Things

Well All Good Things Must End.

Now before you end with us, tell us what the Excella sold for.
Don't you think that might help your former 'cousins-of-the-can' here?

I was sad to see no pix of your Excella over at the photo section.
hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 07:22 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

I do not want to reveal the sale price. It was fair to both parties. I had to take into consideration that it needed a brake controller for about $850. and tires for about $600. I had put $2500. into upgrades in the past three years but also had to consider that I lived in it for the 13 1/2 years. Local ads for '70 series airstreams were for $3,500 to $5,500. I was in that range.
Old 09-09-2002, 07:52 AM   #4
hex

Smile '77, Excella-31 price range

I understand. Thanks for the range figures, they will help in my decision.

I am disappointed in the upper range however. I had presumed that a '77, 31-foot-Excella might range as high as $10 grand in the southwest, probably higher on the east coast, and who knows in the anything-goes-golden-west.

(I must decide on a '74 31-Excella very soon).
Now I must figure out what a brake controller is and why it costs so much. Is it part of the trailer or in the tow vehicle?

Here is wishing you all the best in your new arrangement.

thanks again,
hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 08:32 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

The brake controller replaces the outdated vacuum system on the front of the trailer.
There have been few ads in the El Paso area. The highest was for $6,500. I saw one for a "92 for $14,000. It depends on condition just like a car. The low end prices might come complete with squirrels or worse.
Old 09-09-2002, 10:56 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I was wondering since I had never heard of a brake controller running that high in price. Instead of the unit we know that fits underneath the dash, you must be referring to a unit similiar to the "Braker" that replaces the vacuum hydraulic equipment mounted on the tongue behind the propane tanks and in front of the outside skin of the trailer. I've kept the original hydra-vac system and been pleased with it's performance.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 06:41 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Yes, it fits in back of the LP tanks. The best one I saw was reviewed in Trailer Life but I can't think of the name now. I think it was made by Carlyle. You hook it to the brake light lines on the trailer. The only down side is you have to run with the lights on but that may be a good thing. You just plug it into an accessory power source (used to be called cigar lighter) and therefore can be towed by any proper vehicle.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:18 PM   #8

I have a 1969 Sovereign 31' Airstream. I am told by my father it is quite usable. He has done some work on it to see that it is so. It is presently parked in N. Carolina at a campsite, where it was heavily used last summer. I'm thinking of bringing it back to Georgia and using it in the summer at a church camp. Polishing it appeals to me. (Why, I could not tell you!) My question: Do I keep it, or sell it? I really can't decide.
georgiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 11:11 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Sale of Airstream

Greetings Georgiagirl!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiagirl
I have a 1969 Sovereign 31' Airstream. I am told by my father it is quite usable. He has done some work on it to see that it is so. It is presently parked in N. Carolina at a campsite, where it was heavily used last summer. I'm thinking of bringing it back to Georgia and using it in the summer at a church camp. Polishing it appeals to me. (Why, I could not tell you!) My question: Do I keep it, or sell it? I really can't decide.
You have several things to consider, but you probably won't have a better opportunity than the present to determine whether Airstreaming is for you. The '69 Sovereign would be from a unique time period - - the body style was new for '69, but many other features were carryover from earlier years while others were new for '69.

The '69 Sovereign had an empty weight of 4,995 pounds with an empty hitch weight of 520 pounds (see: http://www.airstream.com/airstream/p.../weights-1.pdf ); which means that a realistic loaded gross vehicle weight would approach 6,500 pounds (if not a bit more) with a hitch weight approaching 800 pounds - - what this means is that the tow vehicle will need a tow rating of about 7,500 to 8,000 pounds (this allows approximately 20% cushion in trailer towing capacity for safety).

If the coach hasn't been towed for some period of time (a year or more), the bearings will need to be serviced and the brakes checked. Tires may be of concern if it has been more than five years since they were replaced - - the general concensus is that tires need to be replaced at between five and seven year intervals regardless of mileage to prevent age related tire failures (a tire failure can produce expensive consequential damages on an Airstream). Shocks are also another area that often needs attention on a coach of this Vintage. The Henschen axles may also be suspect for replacement if the coach hasn't seen rather regular use throughout its life - - once the axles have sagged, there is little or no spring action resulting in numerous problems (popped rivets, low clearance causing excessive dragging on dips, etc.) - - you can learn more about the Henschen Axles at: http://www.inlandrv.com/axles/ .

Good luck with your decision!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 03:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Georgia Girl..consider coming to our AirstreamForums rally in Hiawassee, Ga on April 15 weekend. You might then find a lot of reasons to keep it and enjoy it! All you need is a way to get it there...look under the ForumRally section for info
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote