Old 07-20-2003, 03:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
old electricians never die...they just vaporize...

Ive seen alot of electricians check fuses with their fingeres...lots of caluse on dem ol fingers...personally i prefer a simpson...
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 09:41 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to maggieairstream
I've always known not to be on the phone when it's lightning. Have you ever heard Daniel Brinkley's story? He was on the phone when lightning struck the phone. He hit the ceiling. His shoes were melted to the floor. He was "dead" for so long they took him to the morgue where he came to. It took over a year I believe before he could walk. He still has health problems connected to this strike.

I knew that regular phones were dangerous in an electrical storm, but I thought cordless phones were okay. Now, I won't use the cordless either. Now, what about cell phones? Could I use the cell phone?

Re. tornadoes. We can't build shelters at the campsite where I presently live. I am not the owner. I do intend to sell my business in a few years and travel a little, probably ending up in Florida. When I first started living full-time in an RV, I read that book about the tornado that hit Waco, Texas. That put the fear of God in me! And then I went on to watch Twister and everything on tornados as well as how to be safe during one. I lived in fear during every spring (when we have the most tornados) and worried too much. I am much better now having lived full time for about 6 years. I was much better still when I believed for awhile that I was safer in my Airstream than in the older motorhome I had for a few years prior to buying my Airstream. Now I know better.

Do you think a safe place to be would be in the brick laundry/shower building at my campsite?

Old 07-21-2003, 10:05 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
maggieairstream

Quote:
[i] When I first started living full-time in an RV, I read that book about the tornado that hit Waco, Texas. That put the fear of God in me!
Do you think a safe place to be would be in the brick laundry/shower building at my campsite? [/B]
I drove into Waco just minutes after the tornado hit. I had just been assigned to James Connally AFB for advanced flying school and I was somewhere between Temple and Waco when it hit. I went to the AFB, changed into fatigues, and spent the next few days digging out some of the 115 bodies. I was injured by being hit in the back by a brick.

Which brings me to the point. In Waco, it was the older brick buildings that came down. Mortar lines were broken and bricks were blown all over the place. Surely, the building is a lot better than the trailer, but a culvert or concrete structure is a lot safer yet.

One night, in a city-owned RV park in Ashland, Wisconsin, I bailed out of my old Scamp and hid in a hole under the huge pier that justs out into the lake. Fortunately, the tornado came close but missed the town.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 12:07 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
Being an old weather man from my Air Force days, I think the trick in a tornado is to get below the straight line winds. Get into a ditch, culvert, or dig a hole... quickly. If you are in a building, get into a room that is best protected. An interior bathroom is usually a good spot since it is fairly strong, and has facilities that you will need if the storm comes too close... if you know what I mean. If the place has a cellar... dive in and get to the southwest corner. I saw the movie Tornado and believe me, the heros would be pushing up daisys had they actually been in the building on the hill chained to the pipestand. Brick or cement block building are not as good protection as one might think. Once the integrity of the construction is compromized, the blocks and bricks are just so much flying trash and they are heavy when they fall on you. Wood construction has more "give" to it and will stay intact longer.

As for thunderstorms, stay inside. The Airstream should be as good as any protection from lightning. If you are parked under a tree, I would go to the camp store, restrooms, pavilion or any place the has some sturdiness to it and is less likely to be hit by a lightning stroke. T'storms can have strong straight line winds in the 60 to 80mph range in the downdrafts and they can do a lot of damage to a trailer that isn't tied down. A building of good construction is better.

As the old saying goes, "you pay your money and you take your chances". Do the sensible thing in any situation and you are likely to be ok.
www.facebook.com/FloridaStateRally
WBCCI Florida Unit 027 Trustee
http://www.airstream-adventures.com/...rida_Unit.html
WBCCI #6782
31' 78 Airstream Excella 500
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Reese hitch and dual cam sway control
startrekker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 10:19 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
gosh almighty...

you have to petion the lord with prayer...no kiddding aside...airstreams look pretty ugly after they been doin' the hail bounce...bounce...

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 10:27 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to maggieairstream
I guess I'm doomed. The only place around is the brick laundry room. I might as well stay in the Airstream or if I have enough time, I can drive myself and my two cats to my office and stay in a back part of the building. (It's a three-story strip shopping center and about 10 miles from the campground.)

As far as lightning, I am parked under trees. One is a Pine and the other is a sort of large maybe a Maple or Oak. I selected this spot for the shade and the fact that the trees, especially the Pine, weren't towering into the heavens.

It seems like every three days we have lightning and rain. Sometimes it's worse than at others. We never know in advance.

I just can't live in fear all the time. That's the way I was when I first moved in full-time in a motor home, 6 years ago. I had always lived in expensive apartments and never even thought about tornados. Perhaps I should have because my dentist's assistant said a tree fell on her upstairs apartment and one of the walls of another apartments was completely destroyed.

It is important, as I said, for me not to live in fear. I want more than anything to live in my Airstream and travel at least some.

Thanks for all the input. I can pray, as Norbert says, and I can come to my office.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:33 AM   #21
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
As far as just rain, thunder and severe lightning, I think a vehicle that is on rubber tires with a metal body/frame is the best place to be if you are not in a house.

Like most have said, going under a tree, standing in a puddle or going golfing while a storm is brewind, is total nuts.

Now if there is a tornado, or very high winds, then as Roger said, seek proper shelter.

The body of the Airstream should take most of the lightning and dispurse it across the shells of the coach. Of course, I would't want to be touching the bare metal when it happens or be in contact with any water. Also if the strike comes throught the vent, all bets are off.

Just my .02

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 05:18 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
"Also if the strike comes throught the vent, all bets are off. "

not likely to happen as these are too small compared to the size of the trailer. Despite some worry about thin skin on the trailer, it is still an effective Faraday cage and anything inside should be safe from electrical fields outside.

The reason for avoiding trees while in an Airstream is due to the chance that the tree could get hit and fall on your Airstream. This would not be nice.

But the matter of fear is another issue. There is a need for some trepidation but, after you take reasonable precautions, you have to put your trust in the Lord and let Him have your worries. You sure can't do anything about any worries so it doesn't do any good to keep them with you.