1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by jcanavera
Hi Jim,
You found me!

Jack
It's the old adage about old pennies. Do you still post to the other A/S site, thought I 'd seen you there recently.

The Trail Ride outing went fine, except (or did I tell you?) somebody pulled the emergency brake clip out of its housing? The F250 just pulled Lady like nothing was amiss, till I stopped & saw all the smoke. When the heart settled down & I discovered the error, all was well, until I had to fork over the repair costs. That's one hook-up procedure step I'll NEVER overlook again!!

This looks like another good learning site. Glad to find you again.
I've always looked forward to your input.
Jim

Old 04-12-2002, 04:11 PM   #16

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Hello!

Ouch! I wonder how long that pin had been out? You can damage the trailer brakes with long term engagement plus deaden the battery. And then as you found out, suffer the embarassment of towing a trailer with locked brakes! Well at least you know that works...

Yep I post to both sites. I like the pictures here and I think we have quite a few who spend their time on the list and here too. As far as I'm concerned we are all one family and you can't learn too much. Check out the thread on wheel balancing from Andy at Inland RV. Learned a lot there.

First trip of the season next Thursday with the local Chapter. The Safari will be in the drive this weekend for dewinterizing and to put my numbers on.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 04:16 PM   #17

Fenton , Missouri
I sure like the wood in the Classic, but there is quite a premium to pay for it over the Safari's price. [/B][/QUOTE]

Kent,
They are nice. The 70th anniversary edition really wowed me, but the reality of $$ and tow vehicle changes to pull the weight pulled me back to earth. I'm sure there will be a Classic in my future but it will be quite a few years down the road. I know when it comes time to replace my tow vehicle I will be considering getting something with the capacity necessary to carry the extra weight.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 10-24-2002, 10:40 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Hello everyone....It is my first time in this forum as it is being the owner of a 2002, 25 ft. Classic, w/twin.....

We (wife and I, retired) are extremely happy with the trailer (Bambi was just too small) but the plate on ours showed it weighed the same as the Safari????

We opted for the Classic for all the reasons you cited BUT mostly because my wife got loose and wandered into the Classic and that was it.

The only negative is our former toad is going to be the tow-er. It is a Jeep GC w/V8 and set up to tow specs. I think we'll be in the slow lane forever.

IF we were to trade for another SUV, what do you suggest? I saw in a couple of magazines this month an Airstream being towed by a Durango.......we like our Jeep. A pickup does not fit our needs.

Kistler
Brenda
Murphy (the cat)
Misty (the dog)
Old 10-24-2002, 10:57 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

We have a 2001 Suburban 8.l engine and 3.73 gears. With two wheel drive it's tow rating is 10900lbs. The gross weight on our 28ft Classic is 8200lbs, so that gives us a nice coushon. The wheel base is a liittle shorter than the pick-up, but it handles very well and we needed the interior room for storage and cats.

With a 25ft, You may want to look into the Yukon. I have heard a lot of positive comments on those also.

Hope this helps. I am sure you will get other opinions.
Old 10-24-2002, 11:25 AM   #20

Fenton , Missouri
2002 25' Safari/Classic Weight

Quote:
Originally posted by Kistler
We (wife and I, retired) are extremely happy with the trailer (Bambi was just too small) but the plate on ours showed it weighed the same as the Safari????
Kistler,

Your statement doesn't quite compute based on Airstream's specs for the 2002 model year.

Your dry weight for your 25' Classic is 6000 lbs with a gross of 7300. The 25' Safari runs between 4770-4920 dry, dependent upon interior layout. Gross capacity of the Safari is 6300 lbs.

I'm not sure what sticker you were looking at but the one to check is the one that they place inside usually on the inside of the large closet door. My 27' Safari twin bed shows a dry weight of 5500 lbs. With normal traveling load, full LP tanks and no water, it weighs in at 6,000 lbs.

You best assume you are going to be 6,500+ lbs which is probably questionable in the smaller V8 range. I'm pulling the Safari with a 5.7 liter (350) V8 in a Chevy Express Van. Max towing capacity of that setup is 6,500 lbs. I love the big wheelbase for its stability. I am on the edge on capacity but have not experienced any problems so far. Was down in Branson Mo. this past week and I didn't feel underpowered in the Ozark hills. Now the Rockies would be a different matter. My next tow vehicle will have more capacity. I do all my towing in 3rd gear, not overdrive.

Don't forget to also check out the GCVWR of your new tow vehicle. That's the manufacturer's limit based on the weight of your tow vehicle plus the weight of your trailer. Technically you could fall within the weight limits of your tow vehicle for the weight of the trailer, but violate the combined rating dependent on the load in your tow vehicle.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56
Old 10-24-2002, 12:19 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Reference: http://www.airstream.com/faq/weights.pdf 2003 models:

25' Safari Dry Weight = 4920 to 5520
25' Classic Dry Weight = 6050

25' Safari GVWR = 6300 = 780 to 1380 lbs of load
25' Classic GVWR = 7300 = 1250 lbs of load

The heavier Safari is the 6-sleeper.

IMHO, the Classic is much nicer despite the extra 1,000 lbs and $$$.

I wouldn't pull either with less than 130" wheelbase, and even then would feel better about longer. The Hensley is a good idea with 130"... would make me feel a lot better. If you wanna pull with a light little truck, get a light trailer. I'd get a full 1/2 ton vehicle for the Classic, and a 3/4 ton wouldn't be unreasonable if you're going to have a lot of passenger and cargo weight in the tow vehicle.

In either case, make sure the truck GVWR and trailer GVWR don't exceed the truck's GCVWR, and that the max tongue weight (10-12% of the trailer GVWR), plus people, plus luggage in the vehicle, plus the weight of a tank of fuel, don't exceed the truck's GVWR.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-24-2002, 01:47 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Word has it in my latest 4Wheeler magazine that the Durango will be enlarged but no specs were available. Not sure if they meant for 2003 or 2004 model year. Seems to me that the Suburban or Yukon XL would be a perfect tow vehicle if you do not want a "pickum" up truck.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 02:56 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Lightbulb Toad To Become Tower

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kistler
[B]Hello everyone....It is my first time in this forum as it is being the owner of a 2002, 25 ft. Classic, w/twin.....

Kistler - I strongly urge you to listen to some of these good folks who are suggesting that your Jeep will probably not meet your needs. Like you, I had a short wheel-base V8 (Explorer) with the tow package, and thought that surely it could pull my (then) new '02 27' Safari. And it could. But it was also obvious that the completely unloaded weight of the trailer was a real strain on the engine & transmission, ESPECIALLY when subjected to the minor grades in the Texas hill country. And at the time, I wasn't especially "into" trucks either. But I decided that while the Explorer had any trade in value left at all, I'd better get me some more wheel base (for good stability while towing) and a good bit more engine power to handle the load.

My own choice ended up being a Ford F250 PSD, and simply put I couldn't be happier. I tow "Dad's Other Lady" like she isn't even back there. But Chevrolet & Dodge both have great tow vehicles too.

Go ahead & try to pull your new trailer with the Jeep. But listen to her closely. She'll tell you if you have a good match up of tow vehicle to trailer & its weight. Listen. Get the feel of how much effort that Jeep is putting in. I'd bet a cool one that you'll soon be in the market for a good bit more wheel base & engine power.

Just another opinion - You'll get lots of them here, thankfully.
Jim Whitworth
Rainy Houston
'02 Safari 27'
'02 Ford PSD
'02 - '07 Poverty
Old 11-23-2003, 12:12 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Re: Toad To Become Tower

[QUOTE]Originally posted by whitsend@moment.net
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by Kistler
Just another opinion - You'll get lots of them here, thankfully.
Jim Whitworth
Rainy Houston
'02 Safari 27'
'02 Ford PSD
'02 - '07 Poverty
Jim, you need to update your profile to indicate that beautiful new lady you had at Montgomery.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:10 PM   #25
Rivet Master

We have a 2004 25 Safari which we tow with a 2000 Ford Excursion diesel. The Excursion is on a 3/4 ton chasis.
A SUV based on a half ton chasis, i.e. Tahoes and Expeditions, might be barely adequate to tow a 25 Safari, but not a 25 Classic. The latter would exceed the tow rating of a half ton truck. You will be happier towing either a Safari or Classic with a 3/4 ton vehicle. A high dollar hitch won't overcome the lack of power, braking and chasis deficiencies of a small tow vehicle.
We use an Equalizer hitch and it tows fine and shows no wear as long as it is properly lubricated. The Airstream tows so well that it needs minimum sway control. A high dollar hitch is overkill in my opinion if you tow with a 3/4th ton vehicle. A 3/4 ton vehicle offers much more resistance to swaying than a half ton.
In 2005, Airstream upgraded to a 2 step steel step in the Safari line. We upgraded and it was fairly cheap and a bolt on job. While not as classy as aluminum steps, the newer step avoids the necessity of carrying an extra step.
We have the model with the couch in front. Two extra chairs and two tv tables stow well in front of the couch. A compact, folding 6 foot ladder goes under the couch in front of the doors.
We purchased our trailer used. We had the choice of a 2004 Safari and a 2001 Classic for the same money. We chose the Safari because we preferred the more contemporary look of the interior and preferred the Safari windows. Most of the desirable features of the classic can be added on to the Safari. We got two fantastic fans, a power front jack and other features when we purchased our trailer. The seller, a dealer added these items to make a sale. Even the water heater can be upgraded by installing a "hot rod".
There are a few things on the Safari which are the result of cost cutting, but most of the trailer is attractive and very durable, miles ahead of the quality of inferior travel trailers. Only in comparision to the Classic does the Safari come out second best.