Old 09-26-2004, 04:57 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Sierra Vista , United States
RV storage security

I thought I'd start a new thread on securing your trailer while it's being stored. This is most certainly in regard to the theft of CCD's tralier. We've been looking at the Fulton Gorilla Guard products. They make a Denver Boot kind of device, tongue locks and a really cool looking coupler lock (seen across from us at our storage area) called the UTL-100. I know a couple people have also looked into LoJack. Does anybody have any eperience with these devices?
Thanks,
Ken

Old 09-26-2004, 05:08 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback
. I know a couple people have also looked into LoJack. Does anybody have any experience with these devices?
Thanks,
Ken
Yes, they work well, from personal experience (on the side of law & order, if you were wondering). Most thieves don't even consider a trailer may have it, until it is too late for them, although they may be wising up some now.
There is just something eminently satisfying to have a mental picture of an RV thief, taking a nap in his new, umm, acquisition, and being awoken to a very large law enforcement officer holding a gun on him...
Terry

Old 09-26-2004, 05:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Sierra Vista , United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
There is just something eminently satisfying to have a mental picture of an RV thief, taking a nap in his new, umm, acquisition, and being awoken to a very large law enforcement officer holding a gun on him...
Terry
I'm enjoying that picture too, but the LoJack comes into play post theft (and it might be days before you knew your AS was gone). While $700. is a lot (though not much compared to a new CCD), I wonder if you could get an insurance break. Anyhow I'm thinking of getting the tongue lock to prevent the theft from even a occurring. The Denver boot devices would be effective, but they look like a pain to install and unistall.
Ken
Old 09-26-2004, 05:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
I use a Pit Bull Tire lock. It is like the Denver boot but has a cover on it that prevents someone from simply taking off the wheel and driving off. It wasn't cheap but I feel better having it on while in storage and sometimes even at a campsite. If they pull the trailer it'll be draggin and sparking down the road. I also have Roto Chocks that are lockable. They can be cut with bolt cutters but the Wheel Lock would probably have to be sawed or torched to get it off.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 06:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
I still think landmines is the way to go. I have found an alternative to the LoJack. I will post info when I hear back from them.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:03 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Here are a few others to consider:

http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/ap...ub_cat_id=D33A

http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/ap...b_cat_id=D377A

http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/ap...ub_cat_id=D605

To be honest though all that will be discussed, other than landmines or live ammo guards mean that anything less is a mere road block. Those that want the coach are gonna get it, though I myself use some of what has been talked about or what I have posted, more than one to try to make it more difficult.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
An idea

It seems to me that someone could put together a GPS ($100) along with a simple computer that would remember where the trailer is/was sitting and would wake up periodically, sample the current location, and call home or a security firm with a current position if the location has changed. The technology is certainly available to do so and it would not have to be terribly expensive. Current draw would be very minor and it could have its own battery.

The device could easily be hidden and would simply have an on/off switch; just turn it on whenever leaving the trailer and keep your cell phone on.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 07:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Could be done since most GPS units have an anchor alarm setting. If a (boat) in this case the GPS unit drifts outside a given range an alarm goes off, this could be used to activate a dialer to call home. All GPS units I have owned had serail output connections. Feed that into a computer at home and something like StreetAtlas running would show you the GPS location in real time. Problem is GPS units are amp. hogs and use's two AA batt every 15/20 hours.

Garry
Old 09-26-2004, 08:07 PM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Sounds interesting to me. Would Lo-Jack or an On-Star type of thing do something similar in regard to tracking a unit once it's taken?

If it did, perhaps an On-Star type thing would do the trick. It would be neat if Airstream teamed up with GM and got On-Star in Airstreams. I mean for as little as $10/mo, you could get a great service included in the coach at the factory, and the cell is stronger as it can transmit more power than a handheld....plus the cell minutes can be carried for a year before they expire. In addition, the cell service is with Verizon which will allow in some markets and growing, the ability to have several cell numbers on the same account. So for example, your handheld phone, your GM truck and your Airstream could have the same Verizon account, use the same minutes if you pick a Verizon plan, plus, the truck, and RV could be tracked if stolen.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Yes, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry
Problem is GPS units are amp. hogs and use's two AA batt every 15/20 hours.
Garry
If the unit is well concealed, there is no need for it to be on all the time. It could be activated by a trembler switch like the alarm in my truck. Once activated, it could come on, say, hourly. A fair-sized gel-cell could run it for days.
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-26-2004, 09:38 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
That would rule out the anchor alarm but your basic idea is a good one and there are ways to do it, maybe a solar charger or something along that line.
How much is the LowJack service ?? Since you would also have to have a cell phone service it may be more cost effictive to use LowJack.

Garry
Old 09-26-2004, 10:00 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Columbus , Ohio
Silverback

I have an UTL-100. I bought it specifically because I have to park in a RV storage facility. Whether it is the deterent we hope, I don't know, but it does give me the feeling I am doing something to protect my investment. I also work for an insurance company, so I am realistic, if the right theif wants your property, they will take it. (That's where the insurance part kicks in.)

The lojack system appeals to me. Is there a monthly fee?

Corky
Old 09-26-2004, 11:02 PM   #13

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Does anyone have a link to these GPS units you can track from your computer. I don't have a clue what I'm talking about, I'm just thinking of those cases you hear about on the news where some guy got in trouble for stalking someone by hiding a GPS on their car. The only GPS units I'm familiar with are the ones that tell you where YOU are, not where something else is.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 11:45 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Does anyone have a link to these GPS units you can track from your computer. I don't have a clue what I'm talking about, I'm just thinking of those cases you hear about on the news where some guy got in trouble for stalking someone by hiding a GPS on their car. The only GPS units I'm familiar with are the ones that tell you where YOU are, not where something else is.
Every GM with OnStar has a GPS that can be read remotely. The guts of an OnStar might be the start of a RV security system. OnStar can act as a transmitter or a responder and isn't a battery killer, so I know it can be done. GM ads are currently playing up OnStar as a recovery tool for stolen vehicles.

As far as an anchor alarm, the GPS could easily be read into something like a Sony memory stick at turn on and compare subsequent readings with the first reading. Persistent storage with very low power read and write.

WBCCI #9632